Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:16 am 
Team Member
Team Member

DreadedOne509 wrote:
The 'masses' aren't ready for Linux. Power in the weak-minded, egotistical, bufoonishes hands is too dangerous. When the masses are ready, we'll know.

I'm pretty happy with a few different OSes running on my network.
And I do have a lot of fun screwing around in Linux.
But I will NEVER have an Apple OS, NEVAH EVAH!!!!!!

QFT!

Hell I'm not so sure the masses are ready for ANY OS.
All I do is run around fixing what is ailing computers lately.
95% of the time is is user error. Oh well it's fun for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:47 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

-Lawless wrote:
DreadedOne509 wrote:
The 'masses' aren't ready for Linux. Power in the weak-minded, egotistical, bufoonishes hands is too dangerous. When the masses are ready, we'll know.

I'm pretty happy with a few different OSes running on my network.
And I do have a lot of fun screwing around in Linux.
But I will NEVER have an Apple OS, NEVAH EVAH!!!!!!

QFT!

Hell I'm not so sure the masses are ready for ANY OS.
All I do is run around fixing what is ailing computers lately.
95% of the time is is user error. Oh well it's fun for me.

I say keep them dumb. IT job security FTW!!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:59 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Fixing end-user fuckups is almost as appealing a career choice as being Paris Hilton's BFF.

I'd rather lick dirt on the floor of a public bathroom than get paid by the hour to listen to people whine about how their computer hates them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:25 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Jipstyle wrote:
Fixing end-user fuckups is almost as appealing a career choice as being Paris Hilton's BFF.

I'd rather lick dirt on the floor of a public bathroom than get paid by the hour to listen to people whine about how their computer hates them.

This is exactly why Helpdesk employees burn out after a year or two at most. If they are any good the constant drivel they are forced to listen to drives them insane. Either that or they are never going any higher than that entry level and you probably don't want that guy helping you... ever! I would rather poke my eye out with a knitting needle than listen to a career helpdesk associate try to help me through an issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:43 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Lodis4 wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

This is exactly why Helpdesk employees burn out after a year or two at most. If they are any good the constant drivel they are forced to listen to drives them insane. Either that or they are never going any higher than that entry level and you probably don't want that guy helping you... ever! I would rather poke my eye out with a knitting needle than listen to a career helpdesk associate try to help me through an issue.

Is Helpdesk really that bad? Shit, I've been applying to jobs like that. It's gotta be better than stocking groceries and cleaning the floor at a local grocery store for $8.50/hr, 16-48 hrs a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:53 am 

Help desk is not that bad, it's the callers that can make it miserable. I work for a grocery chain and as you can imagine the average user (store worker) that has access to a computer is not very savvy when it comes to teh komputerz.

I could not stand having to talk someone through a reboot only to find out they were just turning the monitor off and back on. My opinion is I should not have to remind ppl to reboot, but if I do, I should only have to say "let's try again after a restart" and they know what to do. Sadly, that is not the case...

Another pet peeve is when we open new locations all the computers are new and no one has an existing profile yet. So, everyone must get their favorite settings in all the office programs, people have to setup Outlook, and connect to their favorite printer. I created pretty PowerPoint slides with instructions and printed them out but it seems that they cannot read and still need me to talk them through it. Like I have nothing better to so than to tell Paco how to set up his email 25 times a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:04 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Lodis4 wrote:
Help desk is not that bad, it's the callers that can make it miserable. I work for a grocery chain and as you can imagine the average user (store worker) that has access to a computer is not very savvy when it comes to teh komputerz.

I could not stand having to talk someone through a reboot only to find out they were just turning the monitor off and back on. My opinion is I should not have to remind ppl to reboot, but if I do, I should only have to say "let's try again after a restart" and they know what to do. Sadly, that is not the case...

Another pet peeve is when we open new locations all the computers are new and no one has an existing profile yet. So, everyone must get their favorite settings in all the office programs, people have to setup Outlook, and connect to their favorite printer. I created pretty PowerPoint slides with instructions and printed them out but it seems that they cannot read and still need me to talk them through it. Like I have nothing better to so than to tell Paco how to set up his email 25 times a day.

Sounds like the same crap I heard when I was doing on-site stuff. The only pro to on-site work is I can listen to their bitching about "Ya know the screws that hold the hard drive? Well, I think I broke the monitor." After they finish trying to describe a problem, I can just tell them I'll take a look at it. On the phone you need their bitching, only to decode it... interesting....