Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Seemless - Virtual Box
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:34 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2008/05/05/cr ... ualbox-16/

This might make like so much better. I wonder how well something like Parallels works for games? Isn't that the same idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:44 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

The article didn't really tell me why this is better than any other emulation program. How is seamless better? Or is he just excited because it is new?

I admit that I know nothing about this software; perhaps I was expecting too much from a short article.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:49 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I think this is supposed to basically be a free version of parallels. Especially now that the seemless feature seems to actually work, and work well. I am going to try this out at home. I might be able to get down to only booting one OS (which would be a 64-bit system) and then use this to seemlessly run the others next to it.

I will try to do this *soon* and get a better review of it. I will admit this week is going to be pretty busy for me (like last). Might not get to really touch it till the weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:21 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Please let me know how well it runs.

My problem atm is that I've just purchased an iPhone (woot!), and now have to use either Windows or OSX on my PC to interact with my phone. :| Ah well. I'm sure it will be worth it.

What I'd really like to know is if I can use iTunes in an emulated environment so that I don't have to reboot to move files / music to and from my phone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:22 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus*
Million Club - 5 Plus*

I use VirtualBox on a near daily basis. The seamless mode is really slick -- I've never had any problems (except maybe a couple segfaults over 6 months) running XP and VS2008 on top of Archlinux x86_64.

There is USB support, but I haven't bothered tweaking my udev rules to make it work yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:54 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I have heard of iTunes running under Wine. Not sure how well it works in practicality though.

Parallels has a Workstation version that runs on Linux/Windows. I am going to try the demo of that and see how it compares to Virtual Box. The only downside is that Parallels workstation is not free ($50). However, if it works well enough over Virtual Box (Which Smartcat hasn't had any major issues, so I don't think it will be too likely) it might be worth the money.

What do you think would be the best way to benchmark performance between the two?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:03 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Hrm. Benchmarking emulated apps .. that is tough. Games are easy .. bench 'em the same way you do when they are running natively.

Compilation tests are one of my favourites because that is what my PC spends a good portion of its time doing .. well, compilation as well as extended FrameMaker and WebWorks projects being generated and re-generated.

Basically, I would find a way to test the apps that you use on a regular basis. Maybe a file-transfer test, to see if the emulation layer reduces bandwidth.

I'm not really sure .. I'll have to think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:01 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Please brainstorm here. I really want to find out for sure. It will be difficult though, because the app memory space might be different. Although, if I run one app, and restart the virtualized os, that might help. That way the memory space is fresh.

I was thinking of benching an application on my laptop vs my desktop (Vista emulating XP). I think the hardware is pretty close, and if I use an application that doesn't take the cores into account, I think it might be a good starting place.

Laptop:
T7500 @ 2.2 GHz
4 GB ram (3.5 GB recognized)
Nvidia 8600M GT (256MB)

Desktop:
Q6700 2.6 @ 3.12Ghz
4 GB Ram (Vista reports 4 GB in both system properties and elsewhere)
Nvidia 8600 GT (256MB)

I can try transferring files over the network to my laptop from both Vista native and emulated XP (wouldn't that be something if XP was faster?). Then I can try the laptop back to Vista and emulated XP. (I wish I had a 3rd standalone machine to use to transfer to).

I wonder how I could include Linux in this? I don't have any installs currently... although, I think it still applies because these two applications can be used on just about any OS.

I just thought of something... I could have the laptop emulate XP an Linux too perhaps. Then we would be able to see Vista emulating XP and XP emulating XP. I don't see why I couldn't replicate the same thing for Linux.

The benchmarking might be hard for some applications that don't cross the platforms... any ideas for common application benchmarks between each OS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:20 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I didn't get a whole lot done last night. I did install Parallels and it works really well. Only downside is the Windows/Linux version doesn't seem to support any 3d acceleration yet.

VMWare Workstation seems to, but I have not tried yet. I will see what they offer for this.

Virtual Box is on my list for tonight. I think I am going to add VPC to my list as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:29 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Could you do me a huge favour and see if you can mount a USB device in an emulated Windows environment? If you have iTunes and an iPod/iTouch/iPhone and can test that, too, I'd be ecstatic.

It is not a big deal .. I can do the same thing when my phone gets to me .. I'm just impatient to see if I can find an alternative to dual-booting to support my phone.

Have you tried compiling a large project natively and in emulation to see if there is a hit on processing speed and bandwdith?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:18 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I haven't tried compiling. I have an iPod nano, so I can try itunes in it tonight.

I have XP SP2 installed, with a GB of memory. It seems to fly pretty quick even though it is virtual.

Do you have a specific idea about compiling that might help? A standard project that I could try? I don't have anything really huge available to me at home to compile (I am sure I have something, on a back up cd somewhere, probably from school).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:49 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Well, you could try compiling Open Office. ;) The source is 117 MB and can take a couple of hours to compile depending on your machine. :D

http://download.openoffice.org/2.1.0/source.html

Alternatively, you could compile Firefox ... it is considerably smaller but large enough that you'll notice a performance delta as small as .5%

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/Downloa ... ource_Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:11 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I don't want to run something for hours! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:54 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Image Image Image

I have a 15mbps connection. I have only seen a download speed hit 1mbps once or so before. (Non torrent. I usually leave those overnight). The iPod was recognized, however it initially told me that it needed to be formatted. This was before I had it connected to the host OS. It did install the USB driver, and it did recognize my printer and my ipod initially. The second time I tried to connect I got the third image.

So, it does recognize the fact that there are USB devices. Now, Virtual Box, VMWare, and Virtual PC might work better.

I will say that the thing boots lightning fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:14 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Sweet! Thanks dude .. very helpful. I appreciate it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:49 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Jipstyle wrote:
For finding that "it does work, but not?" lol

I still need to check into Virtual Box and VMware (cuz they are both Linux friendly for you).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:44 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

CrashTECH wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
For finding that "it does work, but not?" lol

Yes. :P

Quote:
I still need to check into Virtual Box and VMware (cuz they are both Linux friendly for you).

Take your time .. they haven't even shipped my iPhone yet. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:06 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Well, I just skimmed the thread, so I might be repeating what someone said (forgive me!).

1. Apparently iTunes runs in Wine (some of the slightly older versions) , but it won't synch with iPods.

2. I have VirtualBox with 2 vms already, and it works really well. I have not tested usb support, but I'll do it today and see how it works.

3. This is just me , but if I were you - I would take a Nokia n800 and use a cheapo bluetooth phone and sync it with that to make calls. of course iPhone is probably still a bit slicker and more cool-looking :).

-Budgetperson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:05 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

http://www.linux.com/feature/148194

Quote:
Sun has released the first update to its recently purchased desktop virtualization program, now called Sun xVM VirtualBox 2.0. While not a major update, it does bring improved performance and 64-bit operating system support to the popular open source virtualization program.

VirtualBox, now part of Sun's xVM series, runs on a wide variety of host operating systems, including 32- and 64-bit versions of Linux, Mac OS X, OpenSolaris, Solaris, and Windows. However, while the manual claims that it supports 64-bit Mac OS X, the program doesn't actually support it yet. That said, VirtualBox runs a remarkable number of operating systems on any of these platforms, from MS-DOS and Windows 98 to OpenBSD and OS/2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:16 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Budgetperson wrote:
3. This is just me , but if I were you - I would take a Nokia n800 and use a cheapo bluetooth phone and sync it with that to make calls. of course iPhone is probably still a bit slicker and more cool-looking :).

It is too late for that .. I've already got my iPhone and have fallen completely in lust with it. :P