Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:08 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

You can't see your Linux box from your Windows rig? This is because Windows and Linux speak different protocols while doing the same thing, on the same port. For Linux-to-everything-else filesharing, you're going to want to learn how to configure NFS services.

http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/

For Linux-to-Windows sharing, you're looking at configuring SAMBA services.

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Set ... mba_Server

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:03 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

qa9b wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
'Unable to open logs' points to a permission problem ... the only reason an app can't write to a log is if it was launched with lower permissions than the log directory requires.

It is possible (worth checking, anyway) that you need to run the apache server as root in order for it to have access to things like logs, sockets, etc..

Yeah, I figured it was something to that extent. Like I said, it worked when I typed sudo first.

And now I'm researching on windows/linux networking

Alrighty.... samba is all set up and I am able to access my files on my linux box from windows... BUT I can't write anything. I made sure that write permission was enabled in the share options, and I gave myself write permission in the samba config file.

At this point I'm 90% satisfied. I doubt I'll have to update the server files too much, so burning a cd with the files isn't too much hassle.

But one last question. Right now my apache root is pointed to a folder called "server_files". If I wanted to display a webpage rather than a directory listing, what settings should I change? I tried just sticking a file called index.htm into the folder, but it still came up with the directory listing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:54 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Are you any good with HTML? You could write up a quick and dirty HTML file with links to all your files... I'm really exhausted, but I thought I might throw that out there :)

Glad to hear you got everything setup good. As soon as I get a PCI video card, I'll be setting up my PII CentOS server doing file/FTP/mail/web/DNS/DHCP/firewall duties.