Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Linux Home Server?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:33 pm 

OK forgive me for my noobishness but i'm a little new to linux (not so much command line, i still remember the good ol dos days). anyway...

I'm looking to build myself a nice cheap home server (using Linux of course) and i want to know would i be able to stream my movies and music over the internet? E.G I'm sitting at school and want to watch my favorite star trek episode in between classes on my eee pc.

or share some files with my friends?

any tips and advice would be appreciated (please don't tell me to get a sling box I'm a poor college student...thanks!)

peace and prosper :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:33 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

i think this might be best and easiest solution for you....

www.youtube.com

PS, how do you like your eee? im thinking of getting one for taking pics off my camera when im away from home...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:38 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Denis63 wrote:
i think this might be best and easiest solution for you....

www.youtube.com

PS, how do you like your eee? im thinking of getting one for taking pics off my camera when im away from home...
No, it isn't. You can't legally put copyrighted material up on youtube. He would likely get the uploads deleted, and possibly his account locked/banned/deleted.

Post subject: Re: Linux Home Server?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:40 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

torrodabull wrote:
I'm looking to build myself a nice cheap home server (using Linux of course)

A good start is this google search.

Lifehacker
LinuxDevCenter
IceCast

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:59 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

VLC can apparently stream stuff

http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-h ... to-en.html

Post subject: Re: Linux Home Server?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:37 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

torrodabull wrote:
OK forgive me for my noobishness but i'm a little new to linux (not so much command line, i still remember the good ol dos days). anyway...

I'm looking to build myself a nice cheap home server (using Linux of course) and i want to know would i be able to stream my movies and music over the internet? E.G I'm sitting at school and want to watch my favorite star trek episode in between classes on my eee pc.

or share some files with my friends?

any tips and advice would be appreciated (please don't tell me to get a sling box I'm a poor college student...thanks!)

peace and prosper :)

Well as for streaming. VLS/VLC seems the way to go. Unless you really want to look into configging a MythTV back-end. Have fun with that.

For sharing some files with friends/family, this can vary. If your friends are hooked up your local network, or via VPN, then you'll be looking to setting Samba and/or NFS services. If you're looking to share over FTP, then I'd check out ProFTPd.

And you shouldn't ever have to "invest" in a slingbox. All you need is some time, some reading skills and MythTV.

hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:51 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I'm interested in this myself. What would I have to research/implement in order to type in the IP of my server (in a web browser) on any computer and be presented with a directory of files ready for download?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:55 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

qa9b wrote:
I'm interested in this myself. What would I have to research/implement in order to type in the IP of my server (in a web browser) on any computer and be presented with a directory of files ready for download?

An IP from your ISP, a router with port 80 forwarded, and a LAMP box (mostly just the LA part). Point the web root in apache to where the files are, turn on virtual directory listing, bam done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:37 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

CrashTECH wrote:
qa9b wrote:

An IP from your ISP, a router with port 80 forwarded, and a LAMP box (mostly just the LA part). Point the web root in apache to where the files are, turn on virtual directory listing, bam done.

This is very easy if you can get a static IP from your ISP. I've found most of the residential internet service accounts only hand out DHCP addys. For this you can use dynamic DNS. Setup a free account at dyndns.org and then input your account info in the DDNS section of your router. My Linksys WRT54G has one.

If you don't, you can run a small program call ddclient. All it does is tell your Dynamic DNS provider when your DHCP IP addy has changed. I tried setting up a website using DDNS, but I got a warning from Comcast that my account would be cancelled with a fee if I didn't take down my server :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:53 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Crapcast ftw...

I wonder what Time Warner would do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:53 pm 

time warner will probably do the exact same thing as crapcast.

as for the first reply...eee pc is great. a lil glitchy at times, but you'll learn to work with it. my only complaint is the fantastically small key board, you will prob get used to that also. i cant wait to hack it up and see what it can really do.

all these posts are great! theres alot of good information here and i cant wait to i start doing some research into it. i didn't know this would be such a large project.

what user Qa9b said about pointing to the right ip address was what i was trying to get at, how would i connect to the home server if im not home. a vpn with a static ip seems to be the best method as i would have to further look into that myself. If your still reading this Qa9b and started on doing something like this let me know your progress.

it would be nice however to actually mount the drive folders that are on the server to the eee pc and have them load whenever i connect to the internet via a hot spot or when i'm at school. but i dont think we are that far along just yet....

thanks everyone for your info it was really helpful...maximum pc rocks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:53 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

squeezecenter works in linux. Find your flavor, even though I have yet to figure out how it works myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:57 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I've decided to go the apache route, since what crash mentioned makes perfect sense.

Only problem is, I've hit a little snag. I got a fresh install of ubuntu 7.10 installed and fully updated, but I'm unable to successfully run the configure script for apache. It spits out the error that my c compiler can't create executables. I went into synaptics, and gcc is installed and fully updated. help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:52 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

qa9b wrote:
I've decided to go the apache route, since what crash mentioned makes perfect sense.

Only problem is, I've hit a little snag. I got a fresh install of ubuntu 7.10 installed and fully updated, but I'm unable to successfully run the configure script for apache. It spits out the error that my c compiler can't create executables. I went into synaptics, and gcc is installed and fully updated. help?

Nevermind! I did a search for gcc in synaptics and installed something to the effect of gcc c compiler. when I marked it for install it showed a crapload of other stuff to install, and well that fixed it. it just finished configuring and now I'm on to buidling it (hopefully).

apparently the fact that gcc is installed doesn't mean there's a c compiler installed. I wrote a hello world in c and indeed it does work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:48 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Ok, I know, triple post.

I managed to successfully get apache installed and the document root configured using these directions:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/install.html

When I try to start apache, I get this message:
Code:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Desktop/Ap_inst$ bin/apachectl -k start
httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName
(13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs

Obviously, I have some more configuring to do. But what, exactly?
And how do I determine if the IP my ISP gave me is static or not?

thanks for the help. and sorry for all the posts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:39 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

So why is it resolving to 127.0.1.1??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:49 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

furball146 wrote:
So why is it resolving to 127.0.1.1??

Your guess is just as good as mine. The only thing I touched in the configuration file was the document root.

Judging from my router's information, I'm pretty sure that I have a dhcp address. I just signed up at dyndns and am awaiting the confirmation email.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:51 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

If all you're doing at this point is using it locally, I would suspect that address should be 127.0.0.1. Not sure if this is something in your /etc/hosts or something else.

Basically you to be capable to reverse lookups on your IP, which seemingly isn't occurring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:02 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Well, I got all the dyndns account stuff set up, I got my lynksis router configured, and I entered the dyndns hostname and port number into the apache config. It seems to be working.

Now, I have this linux/apache box sitting next to my windows computer. I'm having trouble networking it so that windows can access the ubuntu shared files/folders. It works fine the other way around, but when I try to access the ubuntu files from windows, it asks me for a username and password.

Those errors with starting apache went away when I typed sudo first

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:52 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

'Unable to open logs' points to a permission problem ... the only reason an app can't write to a log is if it was launched with lower permissions than the log directory requires.

It is possible (worth checking, anyway) that you need to run the apache server as root in order for it to have access to things like logs, sockets, etc..