Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: anyone know about troubleshooting freenas
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:52 am 

this is what i originally posted at the freenas forum
Quote:
I am having problems with freenas. first off, i have a dell dimension 3000 which was my dads which was thought to not boot.It was actually not plugged in right. Aside from that,when i first boot it up, i can do one of two things. If there is a cd in it, in this case the 080708 release of freenas on cd, it will boot of it. I can then configure settings like installing it on usb. i can access the webgui with the cd in the machine. but when i change settings and try applying them. the gui freezes. i look at the console menu on the monitor and input something it too is frozen. the nas to be is all in a different room. i adminster this the webgui in my room. When i try booting of usb. i have to manually select the usb drive at startup. When it stops booting up, it is just frozen. and I either have an ip of 192.168.1.110 or 192.168.1.250 with the webgui. So i basically think i have some wake on lan problems. Can anyone help me with this?

I have had no luck finding answers thus far .i am not sure what other forums i could go to so i am posting here next. I also have a raid card in transit which i was hoping to use with my 3 harddrives in my system and another dell in its box still. please help much would be appreciated.http://preview.tinyurl.com/62qalt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:18 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

The October issue of Maximum Pc has and extensive article on how to set-up a Nas box using freenas.

Nasty

Post subject: anyone know about troubleshooting freenas
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:26 am 

Quote:
The October issue of Maximum Pc has and extensive article on how to set-up a Nas box using freenas.

i have read that article.it does not help me with my issue. it freezes up whhen i boot up on usb. i have a Newegg 1GB USB2.0 FOR READY BOOST Model L1GB-RBST - Retail flash drive. i just need help troubleshooting the issue i posted. i will say it again:
Quote:
I am having problems with freenas. first off, i have a dell dimension 3000 which was my dads which was thought to not boot.It was actually not plugged in right. Aside from that,when i first boot it up, i can do one of two things. If there is a cd in it, in this case the 080708 release of freenas on cd, it will boot of it. I can then configure settings like installing it on usb. i can access the webgui with the cd in the machine. but when i change settings and try applying them. the gui freezes. i look at the console menu on the monitor and input something it too is frozen. the nas to be is all in a different room. i adminster this the webgui in my room. When i try booting of usb. i have to manually select the usb drive at startup. When it stops booting up, it is just frozen. and I either have an ip of 192.168.1.110 or 192.168.1.250 with the webgui. So i basically think i have some wake on lan problems. Can anyone help me with this?

I have had no luck finding answers thus far .i am not sure what other forums i could go to so i am posting here next. I also have a raid card in transit which i was hoping to use with my 3 harddrives in my system and another dell in its box still. please help much would be appreciated.http://preview.tinyurl.com/62qalt

if there is any other forum like a bsd forum or some help here, i would appreciate it. Thanks in advance :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:09 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I assume this freezing issue you're occurs when you're not hooked via USB right?

If you think you have LAN problems can you ping either of the two IPs when you supposedly have it in the networked mode? Additionally, are you receiving responses from either of those IPs while it's not hooked up at all? It's entirely possible that when you activate the network, you're getting an IP conflict.

Post subject: i can ping
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:29 pm 

i have pinged to 192.168.1.250 but the webgui is inaccessible and takes forever to load would having a usb pci card hinder things. i have 3 hdd drives connected the motherboard but no raid controller yet. is it possible that this could be the issue? i was going to build a raid 01 array.

Post subject: works in safe mode
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:24 pm 

it does not freeze on me when i boot it to safe mode. still have issues with ip though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:41 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Does the PC function normally otherwise? With Windows or Linux?

Post subject: NO OS
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:53 pm 

there is only freenas on a flash drive, a cd drive and 3 750 gb hdds. the original 80gb hdd works but it is not with me and the os on it does not work properly when plugging in usb devices. the bios firmware of the dell dimension 3000 i believe is version A01 . I was planning to update the bios to AO3 which is in an exe file called D3000A03.EXE and see if that helps. only i dont have a floppy drive or a way to make a bootable dos diskette with a usb drive.all i got is linux. the hp drive key boot utility will not execute in wine. is there an alternate way to make a dos disk in linux?

Post subject: Re: NO OS
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:02 pm 

hart02 wrote:
there is only freenas on a flash drive, a cd drive and 3 750 gb hdds. the original 80gb hdd works but it is not with me and the os on it does not work properly when plugging in usb devices. the bios firmware of the dell dimension 3000 i believe is version A01 . I was planning to update the bios to AO3 which is in an exe file called D3000A03.EXE and see if that helps. only i dont have a floppy drive or a way to make a bootable dos diskette with a usb drive.all i got is linux. the hp drive key boot utility will not execute in wine. is there an alternate way to make a dos disk in linux?

maybe not what you want to hear ... but I spent some time trying to get the dang usb to work ... and finally went to the store and got a IDE-compact flash adapter for like $12. Used an old CF card and it worked like a champ. You boot from the iso, then install to the CF card as if it's a regular hard drive. Might be work looking into

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:09 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hi all,

I just downloaded and booted with the LiveCD of FreeNAS v0.686.4.3374 and I'm having a problem.

The machine is an old P3 with 300some Mb of ram, a CDROM drive, and an old 30Gb hard drive. Just for testing purposes.

FreeNAS seems to be having a problem with the network card. When i boot in safe mode everything works just fine, but that's not the case in normal mode. The error message that keeps coming up is:

rl0:watchdog timeout or rl1:watchdog timeout

I used to use this machine for testing ZoneCD so there are two NICs installed there, and the error occurs on either one of them. And they're not the same model card either.

While in normal mode, it takes forever to even get the login box when trying to access the WebUI, not to mention the rest of the configuration pages.

Later on I'll try using just one card or maybe a totally different brand of NIC altogether.

Thanks for the help.

Edit:
I tried the "Boot without ACPI" mode, and everything works just fine, so two modes of operation are ok, it's just the Normal mode that still has a problem.
Regardless of this inconvenience, I don't see any of the functions of the server not working... Maybe without the ACPI the hard drive won't go to sleep after 30min or the system won't shut itself down on a schedule, but it's all good for the time being.