Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How do I play CS:S on Linux, Install Firefox and Steam?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:10 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I Just installed Mandrake Linux on my system. Naturally I would also like to play GOOD games, not the ones that come with the OS.

So How do I make my dx8, dx9 games work? I heard that WINE only works with dx7. Also when I try to run .exe files (read: the steam installer) it says "open with..."

What do I open it with? How do I run EXE files, run games and install firefox? Please help.

P.S I searched the forums and couldnt find help on this...

Post subject: Re: How do I play CS:S on Linux, Install Firefox and Steam?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:18 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

ATI4EVER! wrote:
I Just installed Mandrake Linux on my system. Naturally I would also like to play GOOD games, not the ones that come with the OS.

So How do I make my dx8, dx9 games work? I heard that WINE only works with dx7. Also when I try to run .exe files (read: the steam installer) it says "open with..."

What do I open it with? How do I run EXE files, run games and install firefox? Please help.

I might be able to help with installing Firefox.

Download the install file for linux to a easy to remember directory. Example:
Code:
/home/ATIFOREVER

When it's done downloading, right click on the file and click on 'Extract Here'. It should extract to a folder named 'firefox-installer'.
Open up a commandline and navigate to this folder. Then, as root, type:
Code:
./firefox-installer

This should invoke the installer. Now just follow the directions and choose the directory to install to.
After that, you'll have to make shortcuts. For the sake of examples, let's say you chose to install Firefox to:
Code:
/etc/Firefox_1.0

(Note, these instuctions are from what I have to do to make shortcuts, I use Ubuntu Linux w/ Gnome)
Right click on desktop, click on 'Create Launcher'. In the 'Create Launcher' box that pops up, Type:
Code:
Name: Firefox
Command: /etc/Firefox_1.0/firefox

There are other things that they have for you to fill out, but I'm sure they're safe to skip.

Last edited by TWBalls on Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:30 am 
Willamette
Willamette

TWBalls wrote:
ATI4EVER! wrote:

I might be able to help with installing Firefox.

Download the install file for linux to a easy to remember directory. Example:
Code:
/home/ATIFOREVER

When it's done downloading, right click on the file and click on 'Extract Here'. It should extract to a folder named 'firefox-installer'.
Open up a commandline and navigate to this folder. Then, as root, type:
Code:
./firefox-installer

This should invoke the installer. Now just follow the directions and choose the directory to install to.
After that, you'll have to make shortcuts. For the sake of examples, let's say you chose to install Firefox to:
Code:
/etc/Firefox_1.0

OK. Once I reboot into Linux (My brother is currently playing CS:S in Windows) I will try that. To log in as root what do I have to do? I remember I sometimes have to type in the root password to do some stuff is that what you mean?

Anyways I will tell you what happens once my brother is done playing CS:S (which ultimately I decide when that is. :P )

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:48 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

ATI4EVER! wrote:
To log in as root what do I have to do? I remember I sometimes have to type in the root password to do some stuff is that what you mean?

Just log in as your normal self. Then, when you need to be root for the commandline, just type 'SU' then hit enter. It should then prompt for the root password. You're now running as root (in the commandline anyways).

It's usually not a good idea to log in to Linux directly as root (Except for maintenance purposes).

Also, I added more stuff to my original post. I didn't get to finish it as I got called away to help someone set up a projector.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:03 am 
Willamette
Willamette

OK. Yep got it.

Thanks.

Now if someone could tell me how to play games, for example CS:S...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:21 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

ATI4EVER! wrote:
Now if someone could tell me how to play games, for example CS:S...

An .exe is a windows executable file. You can't run it on linux.

Most games don't run in linux at all, unless they have been ported to linux ... Doom3, for example, and Neverwinter Nights, are both big releases that have been released for linux.

There is a piece of software that you can license that makes some games playable. It is called Cedega, and is produced by Transmeta Gaming. Their website says that they support HL2 ... so it might be worth looking into, if you really want to play games under linux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 am 
Willamette
Willamette

O.K That looks really sketchy. Having to switch CDs and everythign through the console, it's just not right. Plus I have to pay...

Well I downloaded the UT2004 Linux demo succesfully. Problem is, I don't know how to install it.

If I double click on it it opens up some kind of extractor but it kind of crashes. If I right click and press "extract to here" or something like that it will look like it's doing it becasue it opens a miny window that has a progress bar with an extraction thing or what not but it does not actually appear there. I have done this before and it works just not with UT2004

Next I tried doing it through the console called "Konsole". I succesfully installed Macromedia Flash player through the "Konsole" (and i felt great achivment installing something command-line :P ). So I just typed in the adress of the game installer thing (I have no idea what it is. It's not exe or rpf (i think that's a type of something.)) Well WHatever. Anyways, when I type it in (SOmething like "/home/rafael/Documents/*installer*") it will say something equivelent to "You do not have permission to do this". Well La di da!! I typed in teh command to make me root (which I forgot what it is but I did it...) and it didnt work either. I have not tried actually loggin in as root but I take that making myself root for the time being is the same.

SO what's the deal? ANyone know how?

P.S I know it's probably really annoying dealing with a Linux Newbie idiot like me but I would really like it if you guys help me out. :p You guys have been great so far.

Man I can't wait till the Feb05 issue with the linux section...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:00 am 
Willamette
Willamette

this is exactly what it says:

Code:
[root@localhost root]# /home/rafael/ut2004-lnx-demo-3120.run
bash: /home/rafael/ut2004-lnx-demo-3120.run: Permission denied
[root@localhost root]#

notice I am logged in as root. Aren't I allowed to do what I want as root?!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:28 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Try this (you don't need to be root):

Code:
chmod +x  /home/rafael/ut2004-lnx-demo-3120.run
/home/rafael/ut2004-lnx-demo-3120.run

chmod +x (change mode) to make the file executable and then run the file

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:44 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Skeksis wrote:
Try this (you don't need to be root):

He might, if the file is owned by root.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:49 am 
Willamette
Willamette

OK, I never actually tried what you told me to as I already figured it out by searching on google.

What I have to do is I think
Code:
sh /home/rafael/*installer*

So it succesufully installed. But ofcourse there was another problem :shock: :evil:

If I run it through any console it gives me this:

Code:
[rafael@localhost rafael]$ ut2004demo
Xlib:  extension "XiG-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".

after typing ut2004 the splash screen pops up and then the screen flickers (as if it was changing resolution) and then it goes to the desktop.

I have [i think] confirmed that this is a driver issue. I downloaded the newest ATI Linux drivers which are in rpf format and when installing them I get

Code:
nstallation failed:
   file /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 from install of fglrx-4.3.0-3.14.6 conflicts with file from package libxfree86-4.3-30mdk

I do not find this conflicting file. Help Please?

Thanks guys though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:51 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Jipstyle wrote:
He might, if the file is owned by root.

I doubt it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:01 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

That's all fine and dandy but I already figured that part out. Now I need the drivers. ATI does not support Linux.

Jipstyle do you know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:20 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

ATI4EVER! wrote:
That's all fine and dandy but I already figured that part out. Now I need the drivers. ATI does not support Linux.

Jipstyle do you know?

ATI linux drivers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:24 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Yes I know and I downlaoded it already (and the right one too). But if you read my other post (the one before the one before this one I think....) I explain what happens.

Here let me quote it.

Quote:
OK, I never actually tried what you told me to as I already figured it out by searching on google.

What I have to do is I think

Code:
sh /home/rafael/*installer*

So it succesufully installed. But ofcourse there was another problem

If I run it through any console it gives me this:

Code:

after typing ut2004 the splash screen pops up and then the screen flickers (as if it was changing resolution) and then it goes to the desktop.

I have [i think] confirmed that this is a driver issue. I downloaded the newest ATI Linux drivers which are in rpf format and when installing them I get

Code:
Installation failed:
   file /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 from install of fglrx-4.3.0-3.14.6 conflicts with file from package libxfree86-4.3-30mdk

I do not find this conflicting file. Help Please?

Thanks guys though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:49 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

It does not appear to be a driver issue. Your XFree configuration is incorrect.

Quote:
If I run it through any console it gives me this

What is 'it'?

Quote:
Code:

ut2004? It is looking for two extensions, normally found in Xlib, and can't find them properly configured for display 0.

Quote:
Code:
Installation failed:

The driver-install is attempting to configure libGL, and it can not because there is a conflict with an unnamed file in libxfree86.

Check the dependencies for the driver; what packages does it need installed before it can be installed on top? Check to make sure that the versions are the same as well. Install all the correct dependencies, reinstall the graphics driver, then reinstall ut2004.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:44 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

O.K I'll try that.

I'm also going to get a book for christmas (talk about last minute!) that I think will be fun and interesting:

Programming Linux for Dummies.

There was also C++ for dummies but I think that's a bit too much for a 13 year old. Especially since I have no knoledge of programming :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:08 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

ATI's have always had some Raindance you had to do to get them to work in Linux.

Actually the way I remember things with Mandrake was there was no need to load external drivers from the manufacturer as they came with the current X package on the distro////Loading from elsewhere usually boogered things up..but nothing you couldn't recover from.

as far as configuring, it was just a matter of choosing Radeon (fglrx) for the 3D accelerated stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:38 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

furball146 wrote:
Actually the way I remember things with Mandrake was there was no need to load external drivers from the manufacturer as they came with the current X package on the distro

as far as configuring, it was just a matter of choosing Radeon (fglrx) for the 3D accelerated stuff.

I believe that only applies to the boxed set, the download version doesn't include the proprietary drivers ( I am guessing that he is using the d/l version).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:18 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

This was both the comminity and the official releases wwith 10.0..Straight from Mandrake.....unless something changed when 10.1 came out.