Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ububntu will not run from cd
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:05 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I want to try Ubuntu before installing it and it will not run off the cd. It gets to the screen with the bird on it and that's where it sits with the cd drive and hd grinding away. Left it run for like 15 minutes. No response from keyboard or mouse. Must do a power button shut down to get out. PCLinuxOS will run fine from the cd. Specs:

Dell Dimension B110
2.53ghz celeron
256mb ram
usb keyboard and mouse that came with the computer
WindowsXP Home all up to date

Yet another reason why the "average joe" won't ever use linux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:23 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

:roll:

Thanks for the detailed info .. we'll get right on that ... assuming you are actually looking for help and not just whining.

Why do you keep whining about the average joe? We aren't here to convert the average joe. We are here to help people who have problems with or are interested in linux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:57 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Quote:
assuming you are actually looking for help and not just whining.

That's why I posted. What other info would be helpful? Not whining, just tired of hearing linux touted by fanatics as the be-all end-all of people's computer problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:56 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I guess what's surprising me, is you'd probably post something similar with a windows problem in the free clinic or windows parlor thinking you'd get any different help with the specs and information you provided.

So what kind of video card are you using and are you trying to use wubi?

The bird is basically the background wallpaper for the setup. My guess is you're trying to use wubi on an XP system that's already marginal on resources as it is.

OTOH: This could very well be just a cruddy burn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:45 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I was under the impression (probably wrong) that linux was good to run on older systems. This is an older Dell with onboard (Intel 82865) graphics. If I thought the problem was graphics related, I would have included this info. As I am a Linux noob, I really have no idea what's going on here. I also have no clue as to what "wubi" is. I figured I could just download the disk image and run it from a cd to get familiar with it and decide if I want to install it to dual boot. Sorry if I stepped on any toes here. Not trying to be a moron, just doing a good job of it without really trying I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:54 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Most distros do not offer what UBUNTU offers - running its feature and function from bootable CD... and ability to test and see if you like it before performing actual install.

I have used Suse Linux for a long time and still do today. But, I like Ubuntu better. It is easier to manage and more comprehensive than Suse. Besides, when Novel signed an agreement with Microsoft accepting or agreeing that Linux as a whole may be in jeopardy because it may have violated certain Microsoft patents, and more importantly, Suse may start charging users license fee, which eventually will be paid back to Microsoft, that gave me more reason to test other distros and after running Ubuntu, I never looked back.

I can state that based on my experience with this distro, if you want to run in with new built rig with newest hardware, you can potentially run into problems as this distro may not have all the required drivers. I have it running on very old P3 machines to all the way to dual core AMD and Intel machines and I tell you, it works great. You may have to find some of the missing drivers in the web, but you do the same for Windows based installs too.. so what is the difference?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:30 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

biguglyman wrote:
Quote:
assuming you are actually looking for help and not just whining.

That's why I posted. What other info would be helpful? Not whining, just tired of hearing linux touted by fanatics as the be-all end-all of people's computer problems.

That's nice. I really don't care what you are tired of hearing. This folder is for people interested in linux, not people 'tired' by our 'fanaticism'.

Quote:
I was under the impression (probably wrong) that linux was good to run on older systems.

It can be, and it will generally run better than Windows on the same system, but old hardware doesn't have the support that new hardware does .. you'll be installing linux the 'old' hard way in many cases.

Quote:
If I thought the problem was graphics related, I would have included this info. As I am a Linux noob, I really have no idea what's going on here

Well, that is the point ... you don't know what is going on so you should give us every piece of info you can. The same thing you'd be asked to do in the Free Clinic for a failed windows install, actually.

Quote:
I also have no clue as to what "wubi" is. I figured I could just download the disk image and run it from a cd to get familiar with it and decide if I want to install it to dual boot.

Wubi is a network installer. You don't need to burn a CD when you use it .. you just launch the installer and it goes and fetches everything it needs to install Ubuntu. It is error-prone, though, and not terribly popular .. lots of people have problems with it.

You are trying to run an OS from a CD. With an older machine, this is less likely to work. PClinux works, though, so why not use that?

Quote:
Sorry if I stepped on any toes here. Not trying to be a moron, just doing a good job of it without really trying I guess.

It isn't your ignorance that bothers us (or me) ... that can be fixed quite easily. But when you toss a comment like "Yet another reason why the "average joe" won't ever use linux" at the end of a post, you have to ask yourself why we'd want to help you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:27 am 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

Jipstyle wrote:
biguglyman wrote:

Sorry if I stepped on any toes here. Not trying to be a moron, just doing a good job of it without really trying I guess.

It isn't your ignorance that bothers us (or me) ... that can be fixed quite easily. But when you toss a comment like "Yet another reason why the "average joe" won't ever use linux" at the end of a post, you have to ask yourself why we'd want to help you.

I figure that I am proof positive that the "average Joe" can quite easily figure out how to at the very least install and run linux without constant handholding...

Except for Gentoo, I would need every damn old school linux user still active on teh internets to hold my hand just to download the source code :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:09 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

:lol:

Gentoo is fun .. it teaches you why linux has improved so much by showing you what used to be necessary. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:49 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Jipstyle wrote:

Gentoo is fun .. it teaches you why linux has improved so much by showing you what used to be necessary. ;)
+1

I think all those new to Linux, should sit through a Gentoo install, on a laptop, have the power cable fall out, and the battery die...

You learn A LOT (read: metric shit ton) of stuff about Linux by doing it that way. Probably the best way to go IMO.

Then you have to be come a sadist to want to do it again (Like Jip :) ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:05 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

I've been having a lot of fun with my linux machines and of all the distros I've tried, Ubuntu has given me the least problems (I'm a linux noob). It has also run very well on some older and newer machines.

I would suspect that your RAM isn't enough, or the GPU isn't capable of handling the behind-the-scenes activity. 256 MB of RAM is extremely low by todays standards for a modern OS. Yes, Win XP etc will run with that much, but not as well as it should. RAM is cheap these days, and upping that to 512 MB or even 1 GB won't set you back much and you'll notice one hell of an improvement in responsiveness of your machine by doing so.

If you're really interested in trying out Ubuntu or one of the other flavors of linux, slap in an older (or new, they're cheap too) 40-80 GB HDD and actually install linux to it; after of course getting your machines specs researched for any additional hardware drivers you may need to provide or manually install
yourself. You'll be surprised at just how well most linux distros work on equal equipment compared to Windows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:50 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

drainbread wrote:
I figure that I am proof positive that the "average Joe" can quite easily figure out how to at the very least install and run linux without constant handholding...

Except for Gentoo, I would need every damn old school linux user still active on teh internets to hold my hand just to download the source code :P

That's because you're a below average joe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:10 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

biguglyman wrote:
I was under the impression (probably wrong) that linux was good to run on older systems. This is an older Dell with onboard (Intel 82865) graphics. If I thought the problem was graphics related, I would have included this info. As I am a Linux noob, I really have no idea what's going on here. I also have no clue as to what "wubi" is. I figured I could just download the disk image and run it from a cd to get familiar with it and decide if I want to install it to dual boot. Sorry if I stepped on any toes here. Not trying to be a moron, just doing a good job of it without really trying I guess.

And yet you still don't offer any more information.

Anyways, did you have to burn this to a CDRW instead of a regular CD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:33 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Quote:
And yet you still don't offer any more information.

I did put the graphics in there. Initial post included cpu an ram.

I burned it to a regular cd-r, not rw. Anyway I got PCLinuxOS set up to dual boot now so I guess I'll drop the Ubuntu experiment. Thanks for all your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:11 pm 

This is ubuntu desktop system requirement,

System Requirements

Ubuntu is available for PC, 64-Bit PC and Intel based Mac architectures. At least 256 MB of RAM is required to run the alternate install CD (384MB of RAM is required to use the live CD based installer). Install requires at least 4 GB of disk space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:17 am 
Team Member
Team Member

biguglyman wrote:
I want to try Ubuntu before installing it and it will not run off the cd. It gets to the screen with the bird on it and that's where it sits with the cd drive and hd grinding away. Left it run for like 15 minutes. No response from keyboard or mouse. Must do a power button shut down to get out. PCLinuxOS will run fine from the cd. Specs:

Dell Dimension B110
2.53ghz celeron
256mb ram

Yet another reason why the "average joe" won't ever use linux.

Your system doesn't have enough RAM for the LiveCD. You need to use the console installation. It probably is just a bad CD, but this will also be an issue.

furball146 wrote:
I guess what's surprising me, is you'd probably post something similar with a windows problem in the free clinic or windows parlor thinking you'd get any different help with the specs and information you provided.

biguglyman wrote:
I want to try Windows Vista before installing it and it will not run off the cd. It gets to the screen with the bird on it and that's where it sits with the cd drive and hd grinding away. Left it run for like 15 minutes. No response from keyboard or mouse. Must do a power button shut down to get out. MS-DOS will run fine from the cd. Specs:

Dell Dimension B110
2.53ghz celeron
256mb ram

Yet another reason why the "average joe" won't ever use Windows Vista.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:49 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Wow. A Linux person with a sense of humor, an answer, and no attitude. Cool... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:54 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

biguglyman wrote:
Wow. A Linux person with a sense of humor, an answer, and no attitude. Cool... :lol:

Haha. Well, you don't make friends by creating enemies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:28 pm 

biguglyman wrote:

Ubuntu isn't Linux, it's a version of Linux. It's like saying since your wireless card doesn't do WEP under ME, Windows won't do wireless.

If you try Puppy or Deli or Damn Small Linux, which run the same kernel as Ubuntu, but the GUI on top of the kernel is a low foot print you would have a better experience.

There are going to be limitations because of the hardware. Some Distros are bare minimum graphical for old stuff. While it's good for old hardware, it runs best on new hardware.

The attitude comes from dealing with folks who don't do any research, choose a Distro that is wrong for the hardware, and complain how it's not ready for the average person. The average person couldn't install Windows without OEM drivers. It's not like checking the requirements would have made this thread not happen,eh?

"Yet another reason why the "average joe" won't ever use linux."

is not the best way to ask for help, you are not on very high ground complaining about attitude.

Last edited by aquaadverse on Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:32 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Quote:
It's not like checking the requirements would have made this thread not happen,eh?

Guilty as charged. :oops: