Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:38 pm 

biguglyman wrote:
Quote:
It's not like checking the requirements would have made this thread not happen,eh?

Guilty as charged. :oops:

That's good enough for me. Seriously, download Puppy or Deli or Damn Small Linux. It will run off cd, or a flash drive if the computer supports booting that way. I think Puppy is under 100 meg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:06 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Do you have a chance to set the boot options and perhaps the splash to verbose or text? If so, you should see where it stops. Some CD's like this will continue to loop over and over again with just the splash up. Several times I've had issues with Ubuntu and Mandriva where it can't mount FD0...because I don't have it enabled nor do I want it. Enable it, goes right on by and continues.

I'd also run it through a VM and see if it boots. Either that or check the disk quality or the MD5 checksum.

If this is a first run with nix, this isn't a good taste left in the user's mouth. Having something not work doesn't even let you tinker, Live CD or not. Just about every time an install or Live run doesn't work, it boots right up within VirtualBox. Then at least you can look around in a new OS and figure it out later. I mean, mounting, the drive paths (hda vs. C:\), and other terms are better connected to known terms just by running around in nix. THEN the install and all that makes a little more sense.

Was this typical for you guys too early on?
metzlyov wrote:
Most distros do not offer what UBUNTU offers - running its feature and function from bootable CD... and ability to test and see if you like it before performing actual install.
Mandriva08.1 Spring Live CD...my fav lately!

Which I'd give a shot here too. Many love Ubuntu, but to me it's from over recommendation. A new person uses it, then sticks with that as THE nix distro and recommends it as such. I see nothing wrong with Mandriva for a new user and vet alike. Or Gentoo, Suse, or FreeBSD for that matter. Feet first, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:29 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Chumly wrote:

Oh hell no. Back in the day, linux was tough! We had to carry our PCs uphill to school on our backs both ways while scripting machine code by blinking our right eyes for 1s and left eyes for 0s and ...

Seriously, though, my first time with linux required several days of frustration before I had anything that came close to a usable system. About a month passed before it was equivalent to the Win95 install I'd replaced with slackware. At least a year before I really felt that linux was 'superior' to Windows .. by that point, if I admitted anything less, I'd have been ashamed of the time wasted installing and configuring the OS. :lol:

The parallels to building PCs and overclocking them are pretty obvious, I think. ;) The tech is getting much easier .. too easy .. have to find my fun elsewhere and accept that these are just tools now.

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with Mandriva for a new user and vet alike. Or Gentoo, Suse, or FreeBSD for that matter. Feet first, right?

Damn straight, brother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:03 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Chumly wrote:

Pretty much. I think the first one I tried was Caldera and then moved onto Corel.

And to add to what Jip said...yea...but I ended up lugging my red wagon with punch cards

Chumly wrote:
I see nothing wrong with Mandriva for a new user and vet alike. Or Gentoo, Suse, or FreeBSD for that matter. Feet first, right?

I'm rather surprised this distro doesn't get the press it deserves. I think you're like me though, in that you want to pick something unique, but mainstream enough that you're not lost in the wild.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:51 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I've never installed any sort of virtual machine in Windows before. The only time I really have done that was when I was checking out gNewSense (which sucked at the time).

First time I used GNU/Linux, I installed Ubunty Hoary Hedgehog. I hated it. At the time, I didn't have internet on the computer, and I had never even heard of another person using it, so I was left thinking that it didn't have the software capabilities to listen to music and stuff. When I tried Fedora Core 2 later that year, I dual booted so my family could still use XP. I had DSL then, and I couldn't believe how much software there was available.

I got really fed up with the RPM system, though, and I gave up on the OS for a couple months. I tried Ubuntu again, and I never went back to Windows again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:35 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

yurimxpxman wrote:
I've never installed any sort of virtual machine in Windows before. The only time I really have done that was when I was checking out gNewSense (which sucked at the time).

First time I used GNU/Linux, I installed Ubunty Hoary Hedgehog. I hated it. At the time, I didn't have internet on the computer, and I had never even heard of another person using it, so I was left thinking that it didn't have the software capabilities to listen to music and stuff. When I tried Fedora Core 2 later that year, I dual booted so my family could still use XP. I had DSL then, and I couldn't believe how much software there was available.

I got really fed up with the RPM system, though, and I gave up on the OS for a couple months. I tried Ubuntu again, and I never went back to Windows again.

Hoary Hedgehog popped your Linux cherry too? I started trying to install Hoary over XP Home after so many Window-related problems. Installation went fine, but I ran into a couple deal-breakers from first reboot. At this point in time, I was getting internet access through an AOL account via 56k modem (a "winmodem"). First of all, I couldn't figure out how to configure the modem to work with Linux, and second, I couldn't get AOL software to install. Needless to say, within the hour, I had XP reinstalled and begun re-downloading my music. After doing my homework, reading a ton of Linux docs/books/online-guides, I loaded up Ubuntu Edgy Eft (6.10). I loved it, until I wanted to get my hands a bit more dirty with Linux. That's when I started using Debian Etch, and haven't really looked back. I've been contemplating trying Slackware, but I'm not sold on it yet. I'll have to try it in a VM when I pick up my new harddrive.