Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: solaris
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:36 pm 

Does any one know anthing about Solaris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:09 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:16 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

CrashTECH wrote:
Yes.
Be more specific. What do you want to know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solaris_(operating_system)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:35 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I am kind of disappointed.
I downloaded and tried to install Open Solaris on my system.
Debian creator Ian Murdoch has been handed the responsibility of reshaping Solaris as we know it...and it won't install on my computer period.
Back to the drawing board fellas!
Glenn Condrey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:02 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

It should work on most x86 stuff. At least Solaris 10.

Post subject: Re: solaris
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:05 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Frall wrote:
Does any one know anthing about Solaris.

Quite a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:13 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I went to try it but didn't see an option for dual booting with XP so I didn't install it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:29 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

-Lawless wrote:
I went to try it but didn't see an option for dual booting with XP so I didn't install it.
Yeah, it isn't very dual boot friendly from what I have seen. It can be done, but it isn't intuitive IIRC.

VM/Virtual PC it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:21 am 
Team Member
Team Member

CrashTECH wrote:
VM/Virtual PC it :)

Man I keep forgetting that. I'll have to try it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:27 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

From my understanding, Solaris is a great OS if you're looking for a programming environment or a server. If you're doing anything else, there are better options. OSX and Windows are better fit for the desktop, while FreeBSD and Linux are Jacks-of-all-trades OSs.

I've tried Solaris 10 and Open Solaris in VMWare Server and on some older machines I've had. I tried triple-booting Solaris 10, Debian Lenny/Sid, and Windows XP, but it didn't work out like I'd planned. GRUB errors everywhere. Solaris 10 didn't like my PII or PIII rigs, nor my Athlon64. When 10 was in a virtual machine it worked, but it was slow as hell. This was probably to blame for my Athlon64 3500+ w/ 1.25Gb RAM. My C2D E8400 and 4Gb OCZ Reaper would probably handle VMware a lot better.

Open Solaris definitely didn't feel like anything special. I've distro hopped a lot when I first started using Linux, and when I've tried playing around with Solaris or BSD-based variants, they feel very Linuxy at first. Most of them are using the same Gnome version as Debian, and often have some of the same apps. Open Solaris looked pretty plain jane, but I'm sure offered a lot of cool tools. Ya know, I didn't spend much time with it. I'll load up VMWare and OpenSolaris again and really have a look around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:58 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Solaris is an enterprise class operating system. It is not meant for personal or desktop use and is quite kludgy when used in that manner.

Think of driving a big rig to the store to get groceries .. with all the hassles involved with parking, gas, etc. .. and you've a good idea what running Solaris as a desktop / personal OS provides you.

On the other hand, if you've a powerful server (Sun Fire E class ftw!) and hundreds of users, Solaris can be a fantastic option.

I haven't tried OpenSolaris, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:39 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Talk about a great OS. =)

Maybe some of you have already seen the video, but if you haven't, Bryan Cantrill did a GoogleTech Talk in which he shows off the Dtrace functionality available in Solaris 10 (and now copied to many other OSes). In the right hands, this is an awesome feature and I'm glad to see at least one company still offering an OS with incredible new features (ie not just things like transparent fonts and fractal start menus). Apparently, Bryan found and fixed a few errors in Gnome using Dtrace (the GNU boys scream GNO!).

If you're going to do development in C, C++ or Fortran, I would highly recommend the Sun Studio IDE (and, of course, NetBeans for Java).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:09 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I used it for a couple weeks, but switched back to GNU/Linux. The biggest problem I had with it was the way stuff was named in /dev. Nothing made sense.. it seemed like stuff was named completely randomly. It's probably not random, but it felt like it, so I didn't like it.

Like everybody else said, there's no reason to use it if you're just looking for a desktop system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:15 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

yurimxpxman wrote:
I used it for a couple weeks, but switched back to GNU/Linux. The biggest problem I had with it was the way stuff was named in /dev. Nothing made sense.. it seemed like stuff was named completely randomly. It's probably not random, but it felt like it, so I didn't like it.

Hmm... doesn't look any more random than /dev in a Linux box if you ask me.

Gnome runs on it, so it isn't exactly a bad desktop environment... is it? Linux is certainly more gui centric than Solaris, but Solaris does has some pretty killer cli apps that I haven't seen on linux (psrinfo and vmstat come to mind).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:13 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Gadget wrote:

Gnome runs on it, so it isn't exactly a bad desktop environment... is it? Linux is certainly more gui centric than Solaris, but Solaris does has some pretty killer cli apps that I haven't seen on linux (psrinfo and vmstat come to mind).

the Linux /dev directory makes more sense to me.. maybe because I've spent more time with it and I know what everything means.

Yeah, GNOME is default on Solaris, but the GUI isn't very user-friendly. It really reminds me of a GNU/Linux distribution from the mid 90s, back when GNOME first became popular.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:40 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

yurimxpxman wrote:
Gadget wrote:

the Linux /dev directory makes more sense to me.. maybe because I've spent more time with it and I know what everything means.

Yeah, GNOME is default on Solaris, but the GUI isn't very user-friendly. It really reminds me of a GNU/Linux distribution from the mid 90s, back when GNOME first became popular.

I would have said RH from the early 2000's, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:18 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Solaris has recently released a series of free HOW-TO guides and posted them on their website. You can find them HERE.

If you are interested in learning the OS or just interested in learning what Sun believes are the most important features, I recommend having a look at that site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:32 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Jipstyle wrote:
Solaris has recently released a series of free HOW-TO guides and posted them on their website. You can find them HERE.

If you are interested in learning the OS or just interested in learning what Sun believes are the most important features, I recommend having a look at that site.

Just got the email too I see. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:45 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

-Lawless wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

Just got the email too I see. :wink:

Indeed! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:54 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I got the e-mail, too! haha