Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:53 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Jipstyle wrote:
My understanding is that PunkBuster is a 'no-go' with games using Wine. :(
Too bad it isn't a no-go with windows. That stuff sucks.

Jipstyle wrote:
Wow .. you really do like MS, don't ya? ;) (Seriously .. I'm just playing).
Truth. I do. :) I also like Linux. I just use it FAR less. I am even converting my father over to Linux, slowly but surely.

Jipstyle wrote:
Anyway .. I have a 360 and love it .. haven't been disappointed. But I waited until they'd found and fixed the Red Ring of Death problem .. frankly, that kind of 'mistake' is inexcusable. How many other consoles have had such a high rate of return due to manufacturing defects? I think the 360 wins that hand's down. ;)
Oh yeah. I don't mean to say that it is OKAY by any means. I am just not surprised. You take a software company that does very limited hardware, and have them build a console system? Bound to have problems. I admit very honestly, I would do VERY poor at hardware design, even though I have some training and I am sure not an idiot.

Jipstyle wrote:
However, as I said, I bought one and I love it. Much better than gaming on my PC, though since Wine, I've been playing SoaSE and some other games because I can. Damn you, wine, for destroying the productivity linux offers me.
See, I prefer gaming on a PC than console. However I enjoy both.

Jipstyle wrote:
Whether the 360 or PS3 is better depends on the games you play, imo.
Truth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:14 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Jipstyle wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:
The red ring was an issue, but that can happen with anything. MS was going into new territory with their system, and it is a good thing they did because the Wii doesn't really compete at the same level so you would have had the PS3 as your choice, and that would have been it. Keep in mind, Sony has been doing Console systems since the 1987 and MS didn't start till the original Xbox (2001).

Also, for as much as I play console games it is fine for me.

Wow .. you really do like MS, don't ya? ;) (Seriously .. I'm just playing).

Anyway .. I have a 360 and love it .. haven't been disappointed. But I waited until they'd found and fixed the Red Ring of Death problem .. frankly, that kind of 'mistake' is inexcusable. How many other consoles have had such a high rate of return due to manufacturing defects? I think the 360 wins that hand's down. ;)

However, as I said, I bought one and I love it. Much better than gaming on my PC, though since Wine, I've been playing SoaSE and some other games because I can. Damn you, wine, for destroying the productivity linux offers me.

Whether the 360 or PS3 is better depends on the games you play, imo.

What I hate is that certain consoles have games that the others don't.
Nintendo has the Zelda series... Never played Halo or Fable or M$, and Sony has several series type games themselves Dax and Jaxter, Ratchet and Clank etc etc. Wish they'd cross platform all the titles so you wouldn't have to buy another system JUST to play a game or two.
Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:37 pm 

idk if this has been posted already as i am too lazy to read.

there is a 'light' version of xp out there
without all the extra b.s. that a strictly gaming computer wouldnt need

but the only place i've seen it is on t0rr3nt sites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:44 am 
Northwood
Northwood

payless wrote:

Yes, because we can always trust torrents for our versions of Windows

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:20 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Dwood15 wrote:
payless wrote:

Yes, because we can always trust torrents for our versions of Windows

well, now that you mention it...I am running what is known as 'XP Black eXperience' that I downloaded. I always test on my backup computer before I put it up for everyday usage.

Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:56 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

I had an XP disk from an old Gateway that broke a few months back. It wasn't tragic, because I'm in Linux for most everything anyhow. But when I wanted to reload Windows and play some games, I had to find a disc... or make one.

I downloaded a torrent that actually allows me to install XP, Home or Pro, 32bit or 64bit, retail or OEM, providing I have a 25 character key to go along with it. It's really neat, and it works perfectly fine. I trust torrents, but if the name says it's the best ever, or something "shikaz 4 sho" after the name, or it's mispelled, than I usually skip it. I get most of my music and movies via t0rr3nt5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:14 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

This discussion of pirated software will stop now. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:40 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Ultimate Gamers Edition of Ubuntu, anyone? Not that it's any better than Ubuntu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:24 am 
Klamath
Klamath

yurimxpxman wrote:
Ultimate Gamers Edition of Ubuntu, anyone? Not that it's any better than Ubuntu.

finally someone answers the posters question. I love how all these "nix" users spend most of their time convincing people to stick with windows.

there is also this one...

http://live.linux-gamers.net/

there is another one tailored specifically to gamers I dont remember the name of.

some other resources...

http://www.linuxgames.com/

I consider myself a pretty hardcore gamer. I am in a competitive tf2 clan, I game 3-4 hours a day everyday. While I still run a dual boot of windows so that I am able to install games and play them when they first come out, I still spend 90% of my time in Linux and that includes gaming. I play tf2, HL2,far cry, doom3. quake 4 etc etc all in linux. Linux just needs more mainstream support from the gaming community. If we are constantly pushing windows as the answer to peoples gaming computers how can we expect developers to start paying attention?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:41 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Keep it civil. Feel free to disagree, but don't be a dick about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:23 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

xveganx, you prove a good point. Commercial game support won't come if we UNIX/Linux users keep telling gamers to stick with Windows. However, have you tried running any recent Windows game in Linux? I'm sorry, but I don't have all day to be hunting down dll files, putting them in WINE's virtual C: drive somewhere, hoping it'll work "this time", etc, etc. I find the whole process way too time consuming just to play Halo or GTA III.

The "Can I run Windows games in Linux?" question is in every Linux or alternative OS forum on the net. Most of the time, it's asked by people who either aren't willed enough to try, or by those who aren't technically inclined enough to know where to start. It used to be that if one used Linux, there was no doubt that they were very computer savvy, but with so many Linux distros out now that do everything for you, this assumption no longer holds truth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:16 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

DX10 hasn't been ported to Wine yet, so recent games can't be run in Linux unless they use OpenGL and are ported to linux or they have a DX9 install.

We can tell people that linux is fine for gaming if we don't mind lying. I prefer not to lie to people. Linux is not fine for gaming. In fact, Linux sucks for gaming. Unless you happen to play only the games that have been ported to Linux or older games that run in Wine, you're either out of luck.

Wine is a great tool, but it isn't for everyone. It is difficult to configure, doesn't always work, and has sparse documentation. When it works, though, you do feel like an evil genius. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:34 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Until DirectX becomes more documented (something I don't expect anytime soon), setting up games in linux ends up being a publically documented experience. Even Cedega's site is peppered with the following.

While games may be listed in the GamesDB, this does not mean it is likely to work -- officially supported titles are marked with an asterisk (*) and each game has playability ratings submitted by other Cedega users

and adding whatever flavor of binary display drivers just complicates things even further.

Until these are overcame, I don't see any reason to jump for joy in this area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:12 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Exactly .. thanks, furball.

It is not just a case of trying to inspire people to switch to linux and magically watching the industry start porting games for our OS. The industry isn't that simple, unfortunately.

Then again .. does the world really need any more evangelising? Choose the tool that suits your application.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:55 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Jipstyle wrote:
DX10 hasn't been ported to Wine yet, so recent games can't be run in Linux unless they use OpenGL and are ported to linux or they have a DX9 install.

We can tell people that linux is fine for gaming if we don't mind lying. I prefer not to lie to people. Linux is not fine for gaming. In fact, Linux sucks for gaming. Unless you happen to play only the games that have been ported to Linux or older games that run in Wine, you're either out of luck.

Wine is a great tool, but it isn't for everyone. It is difficult to configure, doesn't always work, and has sparse documentation. When it works, though, you do feel like an evil genius. ;)

Well, actually, almost no PC game is out right now that doesn't have DX9 available. I think only Halo 2 is the only PC game that doesn't support DX9.

And you're right, we shouldn't lie to people about Linux's gaming capability. We should say that you might be able to get some games to work... sort of, and only on eve of the Seventh Sun, when the rooster sees his own shadow, and the Gods have blessed us :)

I totally agree with you about Wine. It's awesome when it works. I've personally tried nearly 10 times to get something to work using Wine, whether it's some random PC game, or one of those exam simulators that come with CCNA books, and none of them work right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:58 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

you're right, it's not that simple.

Honestly though, I'm bit astounded that no one has really taken up a torch though to develop in this area since Loki took the pipe and considering thatDX10 is starting to look like a complete train wreck, perhaps companies may wake up to OpenGL, which IMO will be the seed to start things in this area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:18 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

There're a lot of fun games for GNU/Linux, though.. Neverball, Supertux, Tremulous, just to name a few.. and don't forget the SNES, NES, N64, and PS emulators.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:37 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

I heart Neverball/Neverputt!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:42 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

that Linux guy wrote:
I heart Neverball/Neverputt!

neverwinter nights, I heard works in Linux. (correct me if i'm wrong)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:28 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

You're not. There instructions on bioware's site on how to get it to work. You'll want to hit the linux forum there.

I play it all the time...rather simple setup too.

Can't say I've ever played nwn2 w cedega though

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next