Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Gamers OS?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:48 am 

is there a a OS that is target is gamers I.E. a linux distro or some other os that its target was for gamers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:56 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Windows is the closest that you'll find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:09 am 

im looking for alternative to windows

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:14 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

I'm telling you that there is no alternative to Windows for gaming.

Using Cedega or Wine[, you can run older games ... anything that is DX9 or less can probably run with some work on your part.

The only OS for serious gamers right now is Windows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:25 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

DGMurdockIII wrote:
im looking for alternative to windows

Then buy a Mac.

Or perhaps you're into alternative games too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:13 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Linux does have some cool games. Wolfenstien ET has a native Linux client and runs just fine on any distro (not to mention having some cool mods). I've also heard that many source games run ok in Wine, but I've never had any luck with any Windows app in Wine in my 3 years as a Linux user, and believe me, I've tried. WoW runs ok from what I've heard, but other popular ones like BF2142, BF2, Crysis, COD2/4 don't run worth much. I personally keep a decent size partition for Windows and games, and Linux for everything else. Until they make some awesome virtualization that will allow you to run Windows in Linux with native speeds, or switch seamlessly and instantly between OSs, get used to rebooting if you're a Linux user and gamer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:50 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Linux is decent for gaming .. I'm not denying that. There are lots of games that can be run in Wine and quite a few that have native linux versions.

But the OP is asking for the best gaming OS and that is clearly Windows. Second place is no better than last place in this competition because the difference between Windows as a gaming platform and any other OS really is that wide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:53 am 

im looking for a llinux or anything other tan windows that is target at gamers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:15 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Sigh.

There isn't one. Period.

There are applications for linux, mentioned above, that allow you to run some Windows games on linux. There is a performance hit, you can't run DX10 games, and it is not easy to set up. On top of that, there is a good chance that some of the games you want to run still won't work.

There are some games coded natively for linux. Ditto for Macs. In these cases, the games run quite well .. often better than their windows counterparts using equivalent hardware.

Windows is the OS for which most game developers code games. So long as that is true, Windows is the gamer's OS.

If you don't want Windows, any flavour of Linux or MacOSX will perform about the same, and wine runs on both platforms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:32 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

DGMurdockIII wrote:
Linux has some "casual" type games that come with it... but as far as playing FPS or RTS games, just get Windows.

You are SIMPLY SOL for any games in the last 5 years or so, maybe longer.

OR, you could just get an Xbox 360 :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:40 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Well, all of the Source games play just fine in linux, and WoW is easy to set up using Wine.

Sins of a Solar Empire is do-able, as are most EA Sports games that don't use DX10.

Not quite 5 years, but it'll be about that long before some writes a conversion layer for DX10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:05 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

If the OP simply must have some answer for a Gamers distro, couldn't Xandros count? It comes with Crossover... (hell, that's mainly why they charge. Without Crossover, it's just a shuffled Debian.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:09 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

that Linux guy wrote:
If the OP simply must have some answer for a Gamers distro, couldn't Xandros count? It comes with Crossover... (hell, that's mainly why they charge. Without Crossover, it's just a shuffled Debian.)
Try making Crossover work with almost any modern DirectX 9 game without any major issues. :? With WINE it is virtually impossible to play an online Punkbuster game; I don't really know about Cedega but I imagine they must have some way to do it, though you might occasionally get kicked for PB issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:32 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Jipstyle wrote:
Well, all of the Source games play just fine in linux, and WoW is easy to set up using Wine.

Sins of a Solar Empire is do-able, as are most EA Sports games that don't use DX10.

Not quite 5 years, but it'll be about that long before some writes a conversion layer for DX10.

True true. Most games I guess. Maybe I just can't remember what year it is really? lol. I tried to find a good list from 2003, but I couldn't. Best I could do was 2005...

Age of Empires III, Battlefield 2, etc. Wonder how well those would run under WINE?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:33 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

I haven't used Cedega or Crossover. I was just thinking out loud. I've tried to use Wine, and Grand Theft Auto 3 would work (but it installed). Halo wouldn't work. StarWars BattleFront 2 wouldn't install. SWAT4 wouldn't install. NFS-U2 wouldn't work. Steam would install, but when started it wouldn't get past

updateing 0%
================

Needless to say I've never had luck with Wine. I've heard of it working fine, but I always run into more issues than it's worth. It's OK, since when I'm in Linux, I'm usually working on something anyhow. Windows is for my gaming time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:38 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Rumor has it t here will be an article about wine coming up in max pc here in the near future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:40 am 
Klamath
Klamath

CrashTECH wrote:
DGMurdockIII wrote:
Linux has some "casual" type games that come with it... but as far as playing FPS or RTS games, just get Windows.

You are SIMPLY SOL for any games in the last 5 years or so, maybe longer.

OR, you could just get an Xbox 360 :)

Damn dude....thats as bad as having WINDOWS LOL!
I mean look t it this way for a minute....BLUE SCREEN of DEATH.....RED RING OF DEATH....is it just me...or does it sound so PERMANENT and so frustrating?? Does anyone else see any similarities here??
Me...I bought a 60 gig PS3 with the Emotion Engine built in...100% backwards compatibility with the PS and the PS2....AND I can install linux to get around the PS3's limited 7.0 Adobe Flash Player. Frickin SWEET!
Glenn Condrey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:08 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

You also spent $250 more on your system than I did, which is almost 2x what I paid for my 360. I came home with an extra controller and 4 games for $450 when I bought it. You couldn't do that with the PS3 (although, I plan on getting one for the blue-ray, and the lady friend started gaming with PS games).

The red ring was an issue, but that can happen with anything. MS was going into new territory with their system, and it is a good thing they did because the Wii doesn't really compete at the same level so you would have had the PS3 as your choice, and that would have been it. Keep in mind, Sony has been doing Console systems since the 1987 and MS didn't start till the original Xbox (2001).

Also, for as much as I play console games it is fine for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:01 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

linuxcrazy wrote:
that Linux guy wrote:
Try making Crossover work with almost any modern DirectX 9 game without any major issues. :? With WINE it is virtually impossible to play an online Punkbuster game; I don't really know about Cedega but I imagine they must have some way to do it, though you might occasionally get kicked for PB issues.

My understanding is that PunkBuster is a 'no-go' with games using Wine. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:05 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

CrashTECH wrote:
The red ring was an issue, but that can happen with anything. MS was going into new territory with their system, and it is a good thing they did because the Wii doesn't really compete at the same level so you would have had the PS3 as your choice, and that would have been it. Keep in mind, Sony has been doing Console systems since the 1987 and MS didn't start till the original Xbox (2001).

Also, for as much as I play console games it is fine for me.

Wow .. you really do like MS, don't ya? ;) (Seriously .. I'm just playing).

Anyway .. I have a 360 and love it .. haven't been disappointed. But I waited until they'd found and fixed the Red Ring of Death problem .. frankly, that kind of 'mistake' is inexcusable. How many other consoles have had such a high rate of return due to manufacturing defects? I think the 360 wins that hand's down. ;)

However, as I said, I bought one and I love it. Much better than gaming on my PC, though since Wine, I've been playing SoaSE and some other games because I can. Damn you, wine, for destroying the productivity linux offers me.

Whether the 360 or PS3 is better depends on the games you play, imo.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next