Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:23 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Despite what some Linux Fanboys may tell you, Linux is not a gaming platform. Yes, it can run OpenGL natively and possibly DX games through emulators, but you have to shoe horn it, the game must support being shoehorned, and for overal universal accessibility Linux is not a preferred platform.

Windows is the only real, accessible PC gaming platform where you can reasonably confident that it will work as expected.

Now...the platform for game servers, however, would be Linux. It's perfectly postured to do so as it has networking performance and stability at it's core.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:48 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Wolfmann wrote:
Despite what some Linux Fanboys may tell you, Linux is not a gaming platform. Yes, it can run OpenGL natively and possibly DX games through emulators, but you have to shoe horn it, the game must support being shoehorned, and for overal universal accessibility Linux is not a preferred platform.

Windows is the only real, accessible PC gaming platform where you can reasonably confident that it will work as expected.

Now...the platform for game servers, however, would be Linux. It's perfectly postured to do so as it has networking performance and stability at it's core.

It depends on what you want out of your games. If you just want to have fun, GNU/Linux is great. There're tons of scrollshooters, platform games, racing games, FPS, RPG, etc.. but you can't expect every game you get at Best Buy to work in it, just as you wouldn't expect to run every piece of software you buy from Apple on a Windows PC. It's just absurd.

Windows and GNU/Linux run different games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:18 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Yea..but the original question was looking for a linux distro or some other os that its target was for gamers, not if linux runs games.

Sorry dude, but while Tux racer, neverball or pretty much anything you'll find at happypenguin is fun to play, it's not exactly targeted at gamers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:20 am 
Team Member
Team Member

furball146 wrote:
Yea..but the original question was looking for a linux distro or some other os that its target was for gamers, not if linux runs games.

Sorry dude, but while Tux racer, neverball or pretty much anything you'll find at happypenguin is fun to play, it's not exactly targeted at gamers.

That's what I hate about this "gaming" thing. People aren't really looking for something fun, but just want to be dazzled by fancy graphics and show off their hardware. Meh. I'd take my SNES emulator over Half-Life any day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:38 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Well I considered for a second that there might be some neo-underground gaming society whose lives actually rotate about these games (like we see with warcraft or ultima) but I soon came to the conclusion that they'd be way to nerdy for anyone to take seriously anyways...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:34 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

As soon as you strip away the dedicated responses from Linux users, you quickly determine that to play all the games your friends are playing online, in a multiplayer role, you'll at least need a Windows partition and dual boot Linux/Windows.

It's really pretty simple when you look at it.

Games = Windows.

Performance+free+apps+security = Linux.

To say that since there are XX number of games for Linux and that they are fun is to ignore the simple fact that for the dedicated gaming machine, you HAVE to have Windows installed.

Unless, of course, games based on the Quake engine are the only ones you enjoy. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:00 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

yurimxpxman wrote:
furball146 wrote:

That's what I hate about this "gaming" thing. People aren't really looking for something fun, but just want to be dazzled by fancy graphics and show off their hardware. Meh. I'd take my SNES emulator over Half-Life any day.

Your definition of fun is not exhaustive. There are many games that I love to play that can not be played under linux ... and not because I 'just want to be dazzled by fancy graphics and show off [my] hardware.'

Ohhhhh ... look at Jip's Geforce 6600GT!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:00 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

yurimxpxman wrote:
I'd take my SNES emulator over Half-Life any day.

Dude, I love SNES games as much as anyone, but over Half-Life? I'm sorry, I disagree good friend... oh, I soooo disagree :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:05 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Jipstyle wrote:

Showoff.

We need to move this to the Jeep thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:44 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

furball146 wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

Showoff.

We need to move this to the Jeep thread.

:lol:

They are about equally ancient in their respective fields. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:56 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Just since it's kind of on topic...

If WINE is overly complicated to a newer nix user, give PlayOnLinux a shot. I got tired of the command line and gave it a shot. Not bad and easy to use. And there's a compiled binary for Ubuntu and other Debian users. The install bash scripts can be a pain sometimes though...I avoid it and just install manually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:18 am 

PC Linux OS Multigamer's Edition

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:56 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

I can haz zombie thread?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:58 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

avanish11 wrote:
I can haz zombie thread?

Sure. I don't want it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3