Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Why people don't use linux
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:13 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

biguglyman wrote:
I've been meaning to try Linux for some time. Saw a good review of PClinuxOS and thought that might be a good place to start for a Linux noob like me. I'm very familiar with windows and I'm looking for something I can try off the disk and then maybe install/dual boot. I go to the website figuring I'll be downloading an ISO or something similar. I go to downloads and see this message:
Quote:
Please make sure you expand your download below and visit the link to get your md5 checksum to validate your iso.
I'm sure all you linux people know wtf this is but I sure don't. I mean I know what an ISO is but not the md5 thing or what to do with it. Nor is it explained anywhere on the sight. I guess maybe I'm just to big a nub to screw around with linux, but it seems to me that this is one of those things that keeps the "average joe" from using linux.

oh in case you wanted to quickly and easily verify the md5 sum

give this a look for windows

http://www.md5summer.org/

I have used this program (occasionally) till i get lazy and don't bother anymore again for awhile :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:17 pm 

Usually if getting from torrent, won't need to bother md5 sum either. It automatically make sure it is complete and no error.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:20 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

sdcat wrote:
Usually if getting from torrent, won't need to bother md5 sum either. It automatically make sure it is complete and no error.

That's what I do, too. Torrents are far more convenient, even if the downstream is a bit slower than a given http connection. There are quite a few more benefits than just checking for errors, too, like downloading multiple files at once, choosing priorities, capping speeds, choosing which files to download, and distributing the bandwidth among the peers instead of killing a single server.

Download your disk image with bittorrent next time to save the trouble, like sdcat mentioned. It could also (in rarer circumstances) be a problem with the optical drive itself. I've seen this problem before a couple times.

In any case, it doesn't sound like a software issue (as far as programming is concerned). There's something either malfunctioning, corrupt, or insufficient. Don't forget that running an entire OS off a CD takes a considerable amount of memory.. much more than running it off the HDD because it has to load all the files into the RAM. This includes files you create inside the OS, too.. ie, downloading files off the internet while in a LiveCD.

Ubuntu has a new feature that'll let you install alongside a Windows partition.. I think it uses a virtual hard disk file or something, like an emulator would do, except it boots the kernel and mounts the file as if it were a real disk. Sounds like it should be every bit as fast as a normal installation. I'd try that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:55 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

sdcat wrote:

Yeah ... using MD5 sums.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:35 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Jipstyle wrote:
Yeah ... using MD5 sums.

He just said you don't have to bother with it, and he's right. Bittorrent takes the work out of md5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:08 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus*
Million Club - 5 Plus*

Jipstyle wrote:
sdcat wrote:

Yeah ... using MD5 sums.

no... it's sha1 ;)