Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Why people don't use linux
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:44 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I've been meaning to try Linux for some time. Saw a good review of PClinuxOS and thought that might be a good place to start for a Linux noob like me. I'm very familiar with windows and I'm looking for something I can try off the disk and then maybe install/dual boot. I go to the website figuring I'll be downloading an ISO or something similar. I go to downloads and see this message:
Quote:
Please make sure you expand your download below and visit the link to get your md5 checksum to validate your iso.
I'm sure all you linux people know wtf this is but I sure don't. I mean I know what an ISO is but not the md5 thing or what to do with it. Nor is it explained anywhere on the sight. I guess maybe I'm just to big a nub to screw around with linux, but it seems to me that this is one of those things that keeps the "average joe" from using linux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:45 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Don't worry - I know how you feel.

MD5 is just for checking the validity of the disc - you don't have to do that at all. Just download the ISO and burn to disc.

EDIT: Also - please read this -
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:24 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Linux generally requires more than dropping the disc in the drive and installing it ... but not much more. It does require some work, though.

MD5 sums are used to ensure that an image downloaded properly. They are not exclusive to linux and are widely used anywhere images are downloaded ... including Windows.

If it makes you feel better, you should know that I can't remember the last time that I bothered checking the sums. I burn the disc and use it .. if it didn't download properly, I could do it again, but I can't remember the last time that happened. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:51 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Thanx...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:52 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Well, the reason why I plan on running Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop now, is because it's a 3-year old configuration, and is just barely enough to run Vista Ultimate, and even when it does, it just takes its sweet ol' time, and half the programs even bother to run on this. So, right now, I went to Linux, and also saving up for a better laptop with Vista x64 on it in the process. So at least for the time being, I'm probably gonna use my desktop rig for gaming and home theater for the living room for a while, then when I'm ready by the holidays to pull the trigger on a laptop that can do the same for the road, I'll do that then. For now, my laptop will pretty much just be used for internet and all that jazz, and probably some light app programming, since Linux encourages that. So, yeah, it'll probably be a rather temporary fix, but Linux is probably one of the only OSes that a config this old will really do well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:01 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Why would you put Vista Ultimate on a laptop?

Turn down all the eyecandy and a properly configured Vista install runs on par with XP. Linux can be much faster or slower .. again, depending on configuration and options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:32 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Well, the reason that I chose Ultimate instead of Home Premium was because of the enhanced mobility features that a laptop can take advantage of. At least it was in the specs that there were more laptop-friendly features in Ultimate, because of the business-class features to protect it. I thought I'd give that a whirl some time ago when I thought it sounded cool. However, needless to say, before SP1, it did what I felt it would do, but now with all these updates with SP1, it made me regret doing that, and forced me into using Ubuntu Hardy Heron instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:10 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Ah .. I didn't realise that Ultimate had advantages for a laptop .. I apologise. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:48 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Jipstyle wrote:
If it makes you feel better, you should know that I can't remember the last time that I bothered checking the sums. I burn the disc and use it .. if it didn't download properly, I could do it again, but I can't remember the last time that happened. :)
I think I checked the MD5 once... it said it failed, but the disc burned fine and worked! :?

I haven't bothered checking them, and rarely have I had a disc not work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:38 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Strange, I check the md5 a lot. Almost always on ISO downloads, I've had too many bad burns, and especially with DVD size distros now I don't want to have to go through a reboot and part of an install process only to have it freeze up on me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:53 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

PCLinuxOS is a great distro. To push you thru the learning curve, here are some useful podcasts...

Linux Reality, http://www.linuxreality.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:26 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Expanding on what kleinkinstein said, there are many avenues for new Linux user to head down the learning curve. The Linux Reality podcast is awesome and I've given a listen to many of them. Thanks Chess!

There are many sites and books available too. I personally liked the tutorials for BASH and shell scripting from www.linuxcommand.org.

And as a shameless plug, I maintain a blog on wordpress and have covered many intoductory posts on Linux.

thatLinuxguy.wordpress.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:29 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Jipstyle wrote:
Ah .. I didn't realise that Ultimate had advantages for a laptop .. I apologise. :)

Not to mention it supports bitlocker drive encryption.

Honestly, I like Ultimate. I am about to reformat my laptop, and I am thinking about biting the bullet and going 100% vista instead of Vista/XP being 50/50.

Then again, I didn't have to buy it retail, so the price point was never a concern for me. Those whom went to certain (all?) "Heroes Happen Here" Microsoft launch events got a free copy of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:45 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I'm another one of those people who have never checked the md5...ever.
If a disc is damaged...I merely burned another.
A great way around this is to use RW dvds....will save you lots of money.
My first distro was Xandros.
After they made the deal with Micro$atan...many of its users joined the PCLinuxOS community....I heartily recommend either.
Glenn Condrey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:10 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

CrashTECH wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

Not to mention it supports bitlocker drive encryption.

Have you heard anything about, or used, True Crypt to encrypt drives?

I am particularly interested in the steganographic techniques they use .. haven't seen that before (though I'm no expert).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:57 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I haven't played with it. I have always meant to though. Someday, I will get around to it. I am currently trying to re-design my data storage etc. I have a couple of external drives, and a plethora of in system disk space. I would like to use True Crypt on all of my externals. I just need to make sure I have a way to use them on other machines, even those that are not mine.

I figure if you are looking for a laptop, and Windows, and you need the security and multi-media, Ultimate is pretty nice. Really, they should just have 2-3 (at most 3) version instead of what they have.

Home Basic
Business
Ultimate

Although, it would be painful at their price current points. Everybody would have Home Basic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:17 am 
Team Member
Team Member

You know what gets me? Ubuntu is arguably the most common distro out there but they don't even include ndiswrapper in the basic install.
I always have to "plug" in and then install it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:57 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Well, newer kernels have better hardware support for wireless cards out of the box, so many times, Ndiswrapper isn't needed. When it is, it's specialty software and it doesn't seem any more difficult than loading Nvidia video drivers (I can't say I've done the former. I've always "plugged in").

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:58 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Code:
sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper

?

Yeah, they probably should include it. Problem is that it (ndiswrapper) might change too fast? Ubuntu is pretty good with wireless as it is though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:19 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Well it doesn't support the Linksys WPC11.
Oh well