Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Konfabulator vs. gDesklets
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:43 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

I installed Konfabulator on my Windows machine at home this weekend, and I'm hooked. It's officially rad.

I know that gDesklets can do similar things, but I've had a helluva time getting any desklets to show up on my desktop. None of them seem to come with any install documentation, or even give any hints where I should look for install info.

I've done a lot of Googling and a lot of digging on desklet-related sites, but haven't found anything yet. Am I missing something obvious, or is configuring gDesklets difficult?

///Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:13 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Hey Will,

I had a helluva time getting gDesklets to work under Gentoo last summer, but it was well worth the effort. At the time, they were not easy to install, but I've been told that they have worked extensively on the installation problems.

gDesklet home page, which hosts this useful FAQ, has good information.

Of course, you have verified the dependencies, right?

Python 2.3 or higher
    pygtk 2.0.0 or higher
    libgtop2
    librsvg
    GConf
    gnome-python 2.0.0 or higher
    GConf support for gnome-python (extra package gnome-python2-gconf on Redhat Linux)
    some sensors may have extra requirements

The FAQ also has links to distro-specific information ... this thread is all about gDesklets on Debian.

Hope this helps, Will.

Edit: Bear in mind that gDesklets are resource hogs ... I couldn't run more than three until I upgraded to a full gig of RAM (from 768MB). I've heard, though, that Karamba and SuperKaramba for KDE are much better ... but I've heard nothing of Konfabulator.

/me runs off to check out this new (to me) app.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:56 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

I too have heard good things about Karamba, but I can't say I have experience with gDesklets or any of the KDE solutions. I like to keep it lean and mean ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:15 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Hehe ... I'm a firm advocate of 'lean and mean' as well .. but I have grown addicted to the wealth of dynamic information that desklets can provide.

The only solution: I need more horsepower under the hood. Jip needs a new PC.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:26 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

I finally got them working. There was a problem with python that wasn't immediately obvious.

I used to sit squarely in the lean n' mean category, but I'm running a 3GHz P4 with 2GB of RAM and three monitors. I figure I need something to eat all that extra screen real estate. Besides, if my CPU were running at <1% all the time, I should use a slower proc.

Konfabulator does the same thing that karamba and gdesklets do, but for Windows and Mac. Their desklets are all javascript and XML based, so they seem to be less resource hoggy than gDesklets. I've completely uninstalled KDE from my machine, so I'll have to reinstall the latest version and see how karamba is. I started mucking around with writing a widget the other day and had something that worked in about 30 minutes.

I'm going to reload kde and try karamba next I guess.

///Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:48 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

WillSmith wrote:
I used to sit squarely in the lean n' mean category, but I'm running a 3GHz P4 with 2GB of RAM and three monitors. I figure I need something to eat all that extra screen real estate. Besides, if my CPU were running at <1% all the time, I should use a slower proc.

True. When I move my new work PC back over to Linux, I'll probably use KDE or Gnome or some variation thereof, at least temporarily. My problem with them after a little bit of time last time I tried was that I found they were overkill for what I did on a day to day basis, and that I'm really command-line centered so all of the GUI widgetry just didn't do much for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:07 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

I guess I'm kind of the same way. 90% of what I do is either word processor, web browser, or vmware to take Windows screenies.