Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Microsoft threatening governments... surprise?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:09 am 

http://olympics.reuters.com/audi/newsAr ... ID=6856785

Stuff like this really annoys me. I have been messing with linux for the past few weeks, and spite has definitely been a motive. Take that, Billy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:06 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

I'm not exactly a fan of MS either, but I think people are taking what he said the wrong way. Perhaps he's not saying 'If you go with Linux, we're gonna sue you.' I think he's trying to say 'If you go with us, the only time you have to worry about us Suing you is if you steal our software, whereas with Linux you also have to worry about companies like SCO coming after you demanding 'licensing fees' and a possible lawsuit.'

Basically, he could have worded it better. ;)

I could be wrong though... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:18 pm 

I guess I see it as MS trying to be top dog. I've just never really liked them. You could be right, who knows.

Post subject: Re: Microsoft threatening governments... surprise?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:59 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

fojo86 wrote:
http://olympics.reuters.com/audi/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=6856785

Stuff like this really annoys me. I have been messing with linux for the past few weeks, and spite has definitely been a motive. Take that, Billy!

I'll just cut'n'paste my last reply on this story:

<<<<<<<<<<
The author of the study that Ballmer cites says that he got it all wrong.

"Microsoft is up to its usual FUD [fear, uncertainty and doubt]," said Dan Ravicher, author of the study Microsoft cites, who is an attorney and executive director of PUBPAT (the Public Patent Foundation)."

"Open source faces no more, if not less, legal risk than proprietary software. The market needs to understand that the study Microsoft is citing actually proves the opposite of what they claim it does."
>>>>>>>>>>

I certainly hope that the Chinese have read Dan Ravicher's response so they have a good idea of Microsoft's "integrity".

Last edited by Skeksis on Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:03 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

TWBalls wrote:
I'm not exactly a fan of MS either, but I think people are taking what he said the wrong way. Perhaps he's not saying 'If you go with Linux, we're gonna sue you.' I think he's trying to say 'If you go with us, the only time you have to worry about us Suing you is if you steal our software, whereas with Linux you also have to worry about companies like SCO coming after you demanding 'licensing fees' and a possible lawsuit.'

Basically, he could have worded it better. ;)

Wow. You must be the very last of the diehard eternal optimists. They should put you on a protected reserve or something :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:42 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Skeksis wrote:
Wow. You must be the very last of the diehard eternal optimists. They should put you on a protected reserve or something :)

See, this is why I hate this forum. I get a direct reply to me, I get no notification. I make 1 measly post in the Journey to 1 zillion posts and I get a shitload of notifications even though not a one is in response to my post. :roll:
I just happened upon this because I was bored and checking out some of the somewhat older posts...

Anyways, I only think that because I don't see what grounds MS would have to sue them. Kinda like GM suing someone simply because they bought a Ford/Dodge/Honda over a GM... Unless one of those patents that Linux supposedly infringes upon happens to be one that MS holds. If they do, what Patent does MS hold that Linux uses?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:08 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

TWBalls wrote:
I only think that because I don't see what grounds MS would have to sue them. Kinda like GM suing someone simply because they bought a Ford/Dodge/Honda over a GM... Unless one of those patents that Linux supposedly infringes upon happens to be one that MS holds. If they do, what Patent does MS hold that Linux uses?

That is the whole point of FUD, to suggest a negative point that is technically possible but not probable.

The origins of FUD.