Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Microsoft threatening governments... surprise?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:09 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 68
Location: Spacing out at work
http://olympics.reuters.com/audi/newsAr ... ID=6856785

Stuff like this really annoys me. I have been messing with linux for the past few weeks, and spite has definitely been a motive. Take that, Billy!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:06 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:25 am
Posts: 5179
I'm not exactly a fan of MS either, but I think people are taking what he said the wrong way. Perhaps he's not saying 'If you go with Linux, we're gonna sue you.' I think he's trying to say 'If you go with us, the only time you have to worry about us Suing you is if you steal our software, whereas with Linux you also have to worry about companies like SCO coming after you demanding 'licensing fees' and a possible lawsuit.'

Basically, he could have worded it better. ;)

I could be wrong though... :oops:


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:18 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 68
Location: Spacing out at work
I guess I see it as MS trying to be top dog. I've just never really liked them. You could be right, who knows.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Microsoft threatening governments... surprise?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:59 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:51 am
Posts: 607
Location: 127.0.0.1
fojo86 wrote:
http://olympics.reuters.com/audi/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=6856785

Stuff like this really annoys me. I have been messing with linux for the past few weeks, and spite has definitely been a motive. Take that, Billy!


I'll just cut'n'paste my last reply on this story:

<<<<<<<<<<
The author of the study that Ballmer cites says that he got it all wrong.

"Microsoft is up to its usual FUD [fear, uncertainty and doubt]," said Dan Ravicher, author of the study Microsoft cites, who is an attorney and executive director of PUBPAT (the Public Patent Foundation)."

"Open source faces no more, if not less, legal risk than proprietary software. The market needs to understand that the study Microsoft is citing actually proves the opposite of what they claim it does."
>>>>>>>>>>

I certainly hope that the Chinese have read Dan Ravicher's response so they have a good idea of Microsoft's "integrity".


Last edited by Skeksis on Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:03 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:51 am
Posts: 607
Location: 127.0.0.1
TWBalls wrote:
I'm not exactly a fan of MS either, but I think people are taking what he said the wrong way. Perhaps he's not saying 'If you go with Linux, we're gonna sue you.' I think he's trying to say 'If you go with us, the only time you have to worry about us Suing you is if you steal our software, whereas with Linux you also have to worry about companies like SCO coming after you demanding 'licensing fees' and a possible lawsuit.'

Basically, he could have worded it better. ;)


Wow. You must be the very last of the diehard eternal optimists. They should put you on a protected reserve or something :)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:42 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:25 am
Posts: 5179
Skeksis wrote:
Wow. You must be the very last of the diehard eternal optimists. They should put you on a protected reserve or something :)


See, this is why I hate this forum. I get a direct reply to me, I get no notification. I make 1 measly post in the Journey to 1 zillion posts and I get a shitload of notifications even though not a one is in response to my post. :roll:
I just happened upon this because I was bored and checking out some of the somewhat older posts...

Anyways, I only think that because I don't see what grounds MS would have to sue them. Kinda like GM suing someone simply because they bought a Ford/Dodge/Honda over a GM... Unless one of those patents that Linux supposedly infringes upon happens to be one that MS holds. If they do, what Patent does MS hold that Linux uses?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:08 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:51 am
Posts: 607
Location: 127.0.0.1
TWBalls wrote:
I only think that because I don't see what grounds MS would have to sue them. Kinda like GM suing someone simply because they bought a Ford/Dodge/Honda over a GM... Unless one of those patents that Linux supposedly infringes upon happens to be one that MS holds. If they do, what Patent does MS hold that Linux uses?


That is the whole point of FUD, to suggest a negative point that is technically possible but not probable.

The origins of FUD.


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

© 2014 Future US, Inc. All rights reserved.