Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Which Linux
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:19 am 
Team Member/ Ex-Team Member/ Team Member

OK I have mandrake & redhat. Any other suggestions on what to use as a replacement for windows. I can download any linux iso, please provide a link if it's something thats not on http://www.linuxiso.org/. Ease of installation is important since I'm not well versed in linux. Ease of software and device installation would be nice also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:20 am 
There is no cause for alarm... yet
There is no cause for alarm... yet

Mandrake - RedHat is discontinued for Fedora.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:59 am 
In the lab!
In the lab!

Take a look at FreeBSD... http://KILLMEPLEASE.org The lastest version 5.3 is just out and looks to be a great release.

It may not have the fanciest installer but it's a solid OS and once you start playing around with it you might like the way they have thing setup. The ports system (for installing programs) kicks the pants off anything else.

Want to install the firefox browser? Open up a command line and just type these two lines:
CD /usr/ports/www/firefox
make install

You just sit back and watch as the source code is downloaded, patched, compiled into a program and finally installed for your use!

There are some 12,000 apps setup in the ports system running the gambit from browsers and media players to apps for scientific research and software development.

The major benifit to BSD is that the OS is one solid entity. Unlike say redhat linux where they take the linux kernel from Linus Torvalds and throw the GNU software tools onto to build the redhat distrobution. The FreeBSD distrobution is developed all "in house." They make the BSD kernel and the BSD software that sits on top.

FreeBSD is worth a shot if nothing else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:13 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Dex .. I think you've just convinced me to put FreeBSD on my PC ... it has been a LONG time since I've played with it.

Any suggestions for an IDE? I work mostly in java, with some C++ and lots of scripting. LOTS. Scripting is your pal. ;)

Also ... word processors?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:51 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

But isn't BSD dead?

:D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:05 pm 
In the lab!
In the lab!

Jipstyle wrote:
Dex .. I think you've just convinced me to put FreeBSD on my PC ... it has been a LONG time since I've played with it.

Any suggestions for an IDE? I work mostly in java, with some C++ and lots of scripting. LOTS. Scripting is your pal. ;)

Well I use windows for my work and BSD just for server stuff but...

word proc there's probabbly three common ones; staroffice, openoffice and abiword.

IDEs I'm not to familar with but a quick search in the ports shows a few interesting ones; Code Crusader which is suppose to be like MetroWerks CodeWarrior, xwpe a borland MSDOS c/c++ ide clone, eclipse a open source IDE platform, you can run suns forte for java, or it seems most *nix developers use plain old text editors like vi/vim/emacs/nedit/pico/jedit/etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:16 pm 
In the lab!
In the lab!

Skeksis wrote:
But isn't BSD dead?

:D :D :D

Ohhh... you! You're lucky I'm a nice guy.

BSD is far from dead. 5.3 was just released and is full of impressive features. 5.x has had a major overhaul to be much more modern and feature filled compared to the 4.x line.

In fact I just got around to downloading the 5.3 iso and burning a copy not more than an hour ago. I'm going to install and finally start working on moving from 4.10 which my server runs to 5.3 now that it's officially considered the first stable release of the 5.x line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:28 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

Jipstyle wrote:

From an application standpoint, you're probably looking at a VERY similar base for FreeBSD and Linux. There might be some stuff not available on FreeBSD (or vice versa) or with things like Java you'll end up starting with the Linux port, but it is, all in all, very similar.

Especially coming from Gentoo, there is going to be a very similar feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:29 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Dexter wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

Well I use windows for my work and BSD just for server stuff but...

word proc there's probabbly three common ones; staroffice, openoffice and abiword.

IDEs I'm not to familar with but a quick search in the ports shows a few interesting ones; Code Crusader which is suppose to be like MetroWerks CodeWarrior, xwpe a borland MSDOS c/c++ ide clone, eclipse a open source IDE platform, you can run suns forte for java, or it seems most *nix developers use plain old text editors like vi/vim/emacs/nedit/pico/jedit/etc...

Cool .. thanks Dex. Abiword and OO are my two favourite word processing apps ... Abi for simple text, and OO for anything fancy. I'm glad to know they are both available.

As long as BSD has emacs, I'm a happy man. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:30 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

colby wrote:
From an application standpoint, you're probably looking at a VERY similar base for FreeBSD and Linux. There might be some stuff not available on FreeBSD (or vice versa) or with things like Java you'll end up starting with the Linux port, but it is, all in all, very similar.

Especially coming from Gentoo, there is going to be a very similar feel.

Sweet .. thanks Colby. :) That's as much encouragement as I need. Next weekend, I'm rebuilding my system and among other upgrades, I'm installing a new HD ... woo! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:37 am 

BSD, it reminds me of blue screen of death. Unfortunate name, but I'll give it a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:02 pm 
In the lab!
In the lab!

BSD stands for Berkeley Software Distribution

BSD was a version of AT&T UNIX build at University of California, Berkeley back in the 70s and 80s. FreeBSD was the result of a project to port the BSD OS to PCs.

Linux is a great OS but it was designed from scratch to be unix-like while FreeBSD has it's roots in unix. You'll find them pretty similar in design and function but from a purest standpoint FreeBSD is closer to a true unix OS than linux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:21 pm 

Thanks for the info. Thanks to the developers at Bezerkley. I lived in the bay area for 42 years, the old saying was nuts on one side of the bay bridge and fruits on the other. < not my view, just repeating what I heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:38 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Jokerswild1 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Thanks to the developers at Bezerkley. I lived in the bay area for 42 years, the old saying was nuts on one side of the bay bridge and fruits on the other. < not my view, just repeating what I heard.

:lol:

Anyway, how comfortable are you with *nix? If you're a beginner, then there is the obligatory Mandrake, SuSe, Fedora etc. However, I prefer Ubuntu. It's based upon Debian and is very stable. It's got a nice clean look, it's not cluttered looking like the others (IMO).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:38 am 

Ubuntu, I'm downloading it also. I like trying it out with windows still installed. I'm going to have 5-6 versions of linux and unix by the time I'm done. That ought to keep me out of trouble for awhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:16 am 
In the lab!
In the lab!

Jokerswild1 wrote:
Ubuntu, I'm downloading it also. I like trying it out with windows still installed. I'm going to have 5-6 versions of linux and unix by the time I'm done. That ought to keep me out of trouble for awhile.

LOL... Sounds like me back in my college days. When I was in the dorms and had a nice high speed connection. I'd downloading every different OS I could get my hands on and play around with.

BeOS, QNX, Redhat, Turbolinux, Mandrake, Suse, Debain, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD... the list went on and on. Only two ended up sticking with my... BeOS and FreeBSD. Unfortunetly, Be is history (although there is a group working to making a BeOS clone). Sad really becuase Be kicked the pants off everyone in the cool OS department.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:42 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Dexter wrote:
(although there is a group working to making a BeOS clone).
Sweet! I hear a lot of people talking about it being great. I tried it once a LONG time ago, but didn't know what the hell I was doing, so I'd probably appreciate it a lot more now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:34 am 

How will these do on a laptop? My neice is letting me use her laptop to fool around on, it's a Toshiba Satellite with a 2.4 celeron processor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:04 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Jokerswild1 wrote:
How will these do on a laptop? My neice is letting me use her laptop to fool around on, it's a Toshiba Satellite with a 2.4 celeron processor.

I dunno, my crappy laptop died before I got a chance to try it. :cry:

I imagine it would have worked on mine, as my lappy used an 845 chipset which is pretty common. I'm not familiar with that laptop you're talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:27 am 

Well here goes nothing. I'll give er a try.