Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:52 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

gamerfreak wrote:
What did you mean anything but fedora core? I think its the best distro out there. I went with core 2 intstead of 3 because 3 is still a bit too new. Since my burner has issues, somone burned it for me.

I don't like Redhat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:29 am 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

I dont think Slackware got mentioned enough in this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:48 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Jawa78 wrote:
I dont think Slackware got mentioned enough in this thread.

Well, there you go, Slack is officially mentioned. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:05 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

gamerfreak wrote:
I dont want to use any 3rd party cliends except for PHP and my sql. And one more question, how long will it take to download the iso's at cable modem speed?

Although this is probably not going to be a popular view, I would recommend not using MySQL. IMO, it is a pos unless you happen to be doing some braindead basic db stuff like forums. IIRC, it doesn't fulfill even one of the ATOM critieria for a DB and you can't do nested queries w/o pulling your damn hair out.

Posgress is much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:22 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

DJSPIN80 wrote:
gamerfreak wrote:
What did you mean anything but fedora core? I think its the best distro out there. I went with core 2 intstead of 3 because 3 is still a bit too new. Since my burner has issues, somone burned it for me.

Fedora Core has its issues, mainly because of the crappy way they compile the code itself.

Mandrake and SuSE will compile the code using 586 switches (say pc-gnu-linux-586) but Fedora compiles their stuff for 386 procs.

The main problem is this; SuSE and Mandrake's code will run on 586 and newer processors. Fedora Core will run on 386 and above, while it seems that Fedora Core has the advantage, it doesn't really, because the compiled code is essentially deprecated 386 code, while it provides maximum flexibility, who uses a 386 nowadays?

Gentoo users brag about being able to compile code for whatever processor they use, since Gentoo's make.conf file will allow the user to use whatever GCC flags you want, for example, mine uses the march=athlon-xp CPU type, so it will generate code that is optimized to my processor. It's a nice feature, but Gentoo's price is a difficult install.

personally, I'd rather stick with Mandrake or SuSE, they have a loyal following, good support, and overall it's one of the more popular distros. While I digress from recommending Fedora, if you're comfortable with it, then by all means go ahead and use it.

A week ago, I would probably have agreed, but not anymore. Here is why....

A bunch of the guys in ACM had the NQueens assignment, so we all wrote up different implementations and tested their speed on 15 queens (which my Java version won :50s on a 800mhz Athlon - 15s on my home machine). A few days later, two of us sat down and wrote both C and CPP versions of my Java version. Very interesting results....

g++ 3.2.? 44s
java 1.4.2 50s
gcc 3.2.? 65s

That's right. The C code was not only slower, but much slower. The guy I was going it with is a big fan of C and was totally blown away (and I've been busting jokes on him for the past week now). Getting back to your point, when he specified -O3 and -march for the P3, it actually ran slower than before (w/ just O3)! Nothing seemed to help. Interestingly enough, compiling the c code with g++ turned in a 44s time too.

Later we installed GCC-3.4.3 and things have gotten a bit stranger. When it decides to run correctly, C is the fastest and puts in a 36s to 38s time. However, it occasionally goes haywire and puts out a 90s plus time (about 1 in 5). Less frequently, it doesn't run correctly.... it finishes w/o crashing but appears to have optimized out the results (probably 1 or 2 in 10). Don't get me started on GCJ either.

So to the whole optimized code thing.... I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in it. We need to play around more and be more meticulous with our little experiement/study, but there are some funny things going on with GCC at times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:08 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Gadget wrote:
A bunch of the guys in ACM had the NQueens assignment, so we all wrote up different implementations and tested their speed on 15 queens (which my Java version won :50s on a 800mhz Athlon - 15s on my home machine). A few days later, two of us sat down and wrote both C and CPP versions of my Java version. Very interesting results....

g++ 3.2.? 44s
java 1.4.2 50s
gcc 3.2.? 65s

That's right. The C code was not only slower, but much slower. The guy I was going it with is a big fan of C and was totally blown away (and I've been busting jokes on him for the past week now). Getting back to your point, when he specified -O3 and -march for the P3, it actually ran slower than before (w/ just O3)! Nothing seemed to help. Interestingly enough, compiling the c code with g++ turned in a 44s time too.

Later we installed GCC-3.4.3 and things have gotten a bit stranger. When it decides to run correctly, C is the fastest and puts in a 36s to 38s time. However, it occasionally goes haywire and puts out a 90s plus time (about 1 in 5). Less frequently, it doesn't run correctly.... it finishes w/o crashing but appears to have optimized out the results (probably 1 or 2 in 10). Don't get me started on GCJ either.

So to the whole optimized code thing.... I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in it. We need to play around more and be more meticulous with our little experiement/study, but there are some funny things going on with GCC at times.

I think it's a GCC thing more than it is the hardware, I could be wrong. The CPU flags are supposed to generate code that takes advantage of the processor timings and whatnow, but for the most part, I think that GCC has failed to make the optimizations better.

I know for one, AMD and GCC seems to get along pretty good and GCC performs well on AMD architecture. I'm not too sure why GCC runs slow, but the Intel architecture, in some ways, is affecting GCC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:34 pm 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

I happen to use ICC for compiling c++ apps on linux. Great for cpu intensive emulations have not tried it on something simple. to do a direct comparison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:23 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Jawa78 wrote:
I happen to use ICC for compiling c++ apps on linux. Great for cpu intensive emulations have not tried it on something simple. to do a direct comparison.

That's cool...I'd use it but I can't use it for non-Commercial purposes which kind of puts me in a lose-lose situation. Besides, GCC is just fine since my Workstations and Servers are mainly for development anyways, it's not like ICC will get me 200% more performance, no, not in Apache. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:11 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Jawa78 wrote:

Is it an easy install? I might add that to the list of compilers we use for our little NQueens test. Might as well bring some non-gnu compilers into the fold and see how they perform.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:29 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

Gadget wrote:
Is it an easy install? I might add that to the list of compilers we use for our little NQueens test. Might as well bring some non-gnu compilers into the fold and see how they perform.

Linkage: http://www.Intel.com/software/products/compilers/clin/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:59 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

colby wrote:
Gadget wrote:

Linkage: http://www.Intel.com/software/products/compilers/clin/

Thank you. What have your experiences with it been like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:07 am 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

Gadget wrote:
Thank you. What have your experiences with it been like?

I haven't played with it... haven't done any C++ other than stuff needed for JNI in a while ;)