Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:32 am 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

WillSmith wrote:
After I've finished the Linux story, I think I might get a G5 and spend four or six months using OS X. The last time I regularly used a Mac was in the OS 6-7 timeframe, and it's really intriguing to me.

Should be interesting, it's a different kind of beast... but not too different :) I use my Mac as kind of a "bridge" in the gap between Linux and Windows. Lately my only trouble has been that my iLamp G4 is feeling a little slow, it is a couple of years old and is begging to be replaced by a dualie G5 ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:52 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Skilless wrote:
I don't understand when people say that Linux isn't for gaming. Deus Ex, NWN and Quake 3 actually look better to me in Linux than they do in WinXP/98. And with CoH, I can't tell which OS I'm in, they are exactly the same to me.

There are two problems right now, as I see it. The first is that the driver quality on Linux right now is really sporadic. My nVidia cards work reasonably well, even on emulated games, like City of Heroes, but some ATI cards work well, while others are painfully slow.

The other problem is that getting Cedega working with a game is pretty difficult. I spent a fair amount of time monkeying around with it, and the only game that worked well was City of Heroes. Most of the other games that I tried either wouldn't install properly, or had performance or image quality problems. The games that are on the supported list seemed OK, but there are HUGE gaps in that supported list.

The fact of the matter is, if you want to play the latest titles when they're released, you're stuck with Windows for the time being.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:18 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Well, except for Doom3 and UT2004, which are supported natively.

I've only used nVidia cards for awhile now (since TNT days --> /me = proud owner of TNT, TNT2 Ultra, GeForce 2mx, GeForce 2 GTS, GeForce 3, GeForce Ti4200, & GeForce FX 5700). In fact, the last video card I had that wasn't an nVidia was a Matrox Millenium II 8MB PCI card. Primarily I've used nVidia because of their Linux support, and because ATI used to be known to have terrible driver update/fix support. I really don't consider an other 3D video cards other than ATI or nVidia, but I know you probably see a lot of bleeding-edge stuff from various makers.

Cedega (sans Point-to-Play) works well for me. When I "upgraded" to Mandrake 10.0/10.1, I started having troubles, but then I found out that there were some issues with the 2.6 kernel and I reverted back to Mdk 9.2, since then, things run fine for me. CoH is my most current game, but I test others too, and you're correct, the most recent games take some work to get going.

But, remember, these games are designed for WinXP specifically. The fact that we get these games to work at all on another platform is impressive, not to mention that many work well.

I was just responding to your comment, "...the only thing that I can't really do on the Linux box is play games..." --> which is true only for the latest games, and HL2 is actually working for the other beta-testers.

OK, I'm going to try to stop sounding like a preacher on Linux now.....my real point is that Linux gives me so much that I've always said that the only reason that I've kept Windows on my primary machine is because of gaming. So, I strive to get the gaming working so that I can leave Windows. I just don't like the direction that MS is headed with their grabbing more and more control away from the user. For us power users, this is unexceptable.