Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: NVIDIA 6629 Linux Drivers
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:41 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:51 am
Posts: 607
Location: 127.0.0.1
People in NVIDIA's forums are reporting a rather significant performance improvement with the 6629 drivers.

Personally my Doom3 score jumped from 22 to 30fps (1024x768 high-quality).


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:35 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 1:13 pm
Posts: 2308
I'll install them tomorrow morning... Maybe they help with the Xinerama problem in the 6611s.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:53 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 1:13 pm
Posts: 2308
They don't seem to like my PCI card at all. The screen draws the first time, but only sporadically updates again.

Doesn't seem to be a fix yet either.

///Will


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:04 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:43 am
Posts: 366
Location: Cowtown, Alberta, Canada
Will i asume you are talking PCI Express?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:43 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 1:13 pm
Posts: 2308
No, my third display is hooked up to a GeForce4 MX 4000 PCI card.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:02 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:58 am
Posts: 6498
Location: I live on the verge of insanity
IRQ conflict?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:17 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 1:13 pm
Posts: 2308
It's a known bug with the latest drivers and older chipsets. I rolled back to the last version until they release an update.

///Will


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:21 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24224
Location: Granite Heaven
So is your article in the newest MPC, Will? :)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:48 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 1:13 pm
Posts: 2308
I got bumped again. I had to write our Half-Life 2 engine story for the January issue, so I didn't have time to do the Linux story like I wanted to. It will be in the February issue, which you'll get near the start of the year.

I'm going to be writing it next week, so I'll probably be asking a lot of dumb-sounding questions to make absolutely certain that I understand stuff next week. Prepare yourself :)

///Will


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:39 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:25 am
Posts: 5179
WillSmith wrote:
I got bumped again. I had to write our Half-Life 2 engine story for the January issue, so I didn't have time to do the Linux story like I wanted to. It will be in the February issue, which you'll get near the start of the year.

Gah!
I wish people would pull their tongues out of Gabe's fat ass already.(Not you, the readers) It's a friggin' game. I think an article about an editor going from an All Windows environment to an all Linux environment for 30days is a LOT more interesting than yet another game.

Sorry for the mini-rant, but I've been waiting for this article. I'm not a MaxPC reader anymore as I haven't really seen anything that interests me lately. This, however, would definitely get me to buy it.

/marks Feb. calendar to purchase MaxPC

***edit***
Are you planning on sticking with linux, going back to Windows or possibly having both?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:01 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 1:13 pm
Posts: 2308
The thing is, the Half-Life 2 tech story (we break down the neat stuff about their engine) is very time sensitive. If we wait even a month, it's useless. I could have done both for the January issue, but I was afraid I wouldn't have time to make the Linux story what I wanted it to be. I'm behind that decision 100% and I think that the HL2 story that's in the January issue of MPC is unlike anything that any other publications--print or web--will run.

As for the outcome, the only thing that I can't really do on the Linux box is play games. I play a lot of games for work, so I'm going to have to have a dual-boot at some point, but for the time being I'm sticking with Linux. I'm definitely going to move my home file/web/ftp/mail server (currently on Windows 2000) to Linux next time I rev the hardware.

After I've finished the Linux story, I think I might get a G5 and spend four or six months using OS X. The last time I regularly used a Mac was in the OS 6-7 timeframe, and it's really intriguing to me.

///Will


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:03 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:25 am
Posts: 5179
WillSmith wrote:
The thing is, the Half-Life 2 tech story (we break down the neat stuff about their engine) is very time sensitive. If we wait even a month, it's useless. I could have done both for the January issue, but I was afraid I wouldn't have time to make the Linux story what I wanted it to be. I'm behind that decision 100% and I think that the HL2 story that's in the January issue of MPC is unlike anything that any other publications--print or web--will run.

Well, since you're actually going to be talking about HOW the game works rather than being cheerleaders for the game (like I'm sure many magazines will be), then it could actually be an interesting read. I am glad that you take your time with the story and making sure that it's quality work. :)

Quote:
As for the outcome, the only thing that I can't really do on the Linux box is play games. I play a lot of games for work, so I'm going to have to have a dual-boot at some point, but for the time being I'm sticking with Linux. I'm definitely going to move my home file/web/ftp/mail server (currently on Windows 2000) to Linux next time I rev the hardware.

Yeah, I've heard that gaming on Linux has been less than stellar... I wouldn't know as all the computers I have Linux on are all older and wouldn't be much for gaming anyways.
Right now, I'm debating on if I want to migrate my server/DC to Linux or not. It would be interesting to see how to get it to Authenicate NT users to the domain.

Quote:
After I've finished the Linux story, I think I might get a G5 and spend four or six months using OS X. The last time I regularly used a Mac was in the OS 6-7 timeframe, and it's really intriguing to me.

Ah, now that would also be quite interesting. I'd like to see what you can/can't do with it. I've also been wanting to dabble w/ a nice apple box, but keep spending my money on PC's. :)

Man, this makes me wish I had taken some journalism classes or something. I like trying new things like this, but to get paid to do it would be even better. :)
Too bad I'm not much of a writer. :(


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:50 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 1:13 pm
Posts: 2308
TWBalls wrote:
Right now, I'm debating on if I want to migrate my server/DC to Linux or not. It would be interesting to see how to get it to Authenicate NT users to the domain.


I'm not running a domain on the home server, just because there's no real need since the only people using it are me and my girlfriend. When Sarge ships and I scrounge up a little new hardware, I'm going to make the move. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to migrate 200GB of data from my mirrored RAID array to the Linux box, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

TWBalls wrote:
Man, this makes me wish I had taken some journalism classes or something. I like trying new things like this, but to get paid to do it would be even better. :)


I have the best job in the world :)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:09 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:25 am
Posts: 5179
WillSmith wrote:
I'm not running a domain on the home server, just because there's no real need since the only people using it are me and my girlfriend.

Here at home, it's only me and a roomate. I only have one set up for learning purposes.

Quote:
I have the best job in the world :)

I'll say. You guys hiring? :)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:35 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:04 pm
Posts: 985
Location: Earth
WillSmith wrote:
I'm not running a domain on the home server, just because there's no real need since the only people using it are me and my girlfriend. When Sarge ships and I scrounge up a little new hardware, I'm going to make the move. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to migrate 200GB of data from my mirrored RAID array to the Linux box, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.


Why not setup SAMBA on the Linux box and use your ethernet connection to transfer the files? That's what I would do.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:08 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24224
Location: Granite Heaven
WillSmith wrote:
I got bumped again. I had to write our Half-Life 2 engine story for the January issue, so I didn't have time to do the Linux story like I wanted to. It will be in the February issue, which you'll get near the start of the year.


HL2 engine? Hrm ... I guess I can wait. ;) :D

WillSmith wrote:
I'm going to be writing it next week, so I'll probably be asking a lot of dumb-sounding questions to make absolutely certain that I understand stuff next week. Prepare yourself :)
///Will


Fire away! :D Feel free to PM if you need a quick answer ... or drop me an email if you need a really quick answer. Of course, this assumes that I can answer the question, but if I can't, I'll just bug my roommates. Hehe.

WillSmith wrote:
After I've finished the Linux story, I think I might get a G5 and spend four or six months using OS X. The last time I regularly used a Mac was in the OS 6-7 timeframe, and it's really intriguing to me.


Woo! You're becoming an OSWhore!

Once you've mastered the operating system in all its guises, your PC will *never* be the same. There is something about getting under the skin of your desktop that really brings your computer to life.

Hrm ... I think I stretched that metaphor further than a 40 year old model's face. :?

In all honesty, though ... I learned more about my PC while learning to install various OSes than I ever did in 3 years studying comp. sci. in university.


Last edited by Jipstyle on Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:13 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24224
Location: Granite Heaven
TWBalls wrote:
Quote:
I have the best job in the world :)

I'll say. You guys hiring? :)


Back off ... I'm the underemployed writer in this crowd, buddy. :evil:

:lol:


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:57 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 1:13 pm
Posts: 2308
Jipstyle wrote:
Woo! You're becoming an OSWhore!

Once you've mastered the operating system in all its guises, your PC will *never* be the same. There is something about getting under the skin of your desktop that really brings your computer to life.

Hrm ... I think I stretched that metaphor further than a 40 year old model's face. :?

In all honesty, though ... I learned more about my PC while learning to install various OSes than I ever did in 3 years studying comp. sci. in university.


I've been an OSWhore for a long time, I'm just a lapsed OSWhore. I actually used BeOS 4.5 for a long time as my work OS in college. I never got into Linux when I lived back east, although I had RedHat and Mandrake partitions on my system for a long time.

And you're right, learning how to make your hardware work in other OSes always makes you learn stuff that you wouldn't otherwise pick up.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:32 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:07 am
Posts: 1491
Location: 127.0.0.1
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was just about to suggest that Will take a trip in the way-back machine and do a review on BeOS 5.....weird that you should bring it up in the same thread.

BeOS is/was one of my all-time favorite OS's, if I could get the hardware on my primary machine to work with it now, I'd boot to it. I even have a number of games for it and a huge stockpile of apps. I have some hardware set aside for building a BeBox emulation (took me the longest time to find the right kind of case and some case badges) and I ** will ** build that sucker one of these days....

Linux plays games great for me. I had to revert to Mandrake 9.2 for some of them (for some reason the 2.6 kernel has "issues" with some games). Presently I'm play CoH in it almost daily. I was going to start a Super Group on Pinnacle for Linux users, but I don't see anyone ever using it besides the WineX/Cedega crowd, even though the performance is just as good for me as it is in WinXP (well, maybe a few fps slower ;) ).

I'm on the Cedega beta-testing team, and HL2 will definitely be supported, so that is good news for all of us. I only have a few games that don't work in Linux or are poorly working;

Deus Ex: The Invisible War
No One Lives Forever 2
Thief 3

But, there are also the games that are natively supported;

NWN: -= All the expansions and original =-
Quake 3
UT2003/4
Doom 3
and others

With WineX/Cedega, I get the majority of my games playing in Linux without a problem. I'm more picky about the games I play now, so I don't buy as many titles, but the ones I do buy I see if I can get them working in Linux too. CoH is my most recent purchase (haven't made the jump to HL2 yet, have to give the wife something to give me for Christmas :D :D :D ) and its fine and dandy.

I don't understand when people say that Linux isn't for gaming. Deus Ex, NWN and Quake 3 actually look better to me in Linux than they do in WinXP/98. And with CoH, I can't tell which OS I'm in, they are exactly the same to me.

Right now, I'm only playing CS and CoH on a regular basis, but both are being played in Linux.....no complaints here. Perhaps I can be a guest writer (I'll get Jipstyle to ghost-write or co-author it with me since he's the resident struggling writer ;) ) and do a piece on gaming in Linux?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:34 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:25 am
Posts: 5179
Jipstyle wrote:
Back off ... I'm the underemployed writer in this crowd, buddy. :evil:

:lol:


Gah, this forum is weird. I didn't get notified for this post, even though it was directed towards me, yet I've been getting a crapload of notifications for other threads I've been in, even if they're not in response to my posts. :x

<Young Frankenstein>
Such strange goings on
</YF>


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

© 2014 Future US, Inc. All rights reserved.