Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Which distro should I try?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:16 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

My parents computer has fedora core 1 and needs something else now. Well what should I use?

Needs to be easy and quick to setup...
I have suse 9.1 pro dvd's
Could use fedora core 3?
???What do you think???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:50 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I thought Core 3 was in a test state right now.

Try the Suse out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:16 pm 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

Slackware or gentoo. dive right into the hard stuff. ( even though slackware is easy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:22 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Jawa78 wrote:
Slackware or gentoo. dive right into the hard stuff. ( even though slackware is easy

:shock:

_alex911 wrote:
Needs to be easy and quick to setup...

Did you miss that? you prolly just gave him the two HARDEST to set up.

Try Suse...Fedora...maybe Debian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:17 am 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

Slackware is easy. If you know how to read.

Gentoo is easy if you know how to read.

Slackware willl have you installed and up and going the quickest out of any distro.

Gentoo one of the slower ones, but that is because Gentoo compiles alot of things. Depending on a stage 1 2 or 3 install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:17 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Hey Alex,

Why does the PC need a new distro? This will help us answer which one you should try next. :)

I think Jawa's on the right track ... gentoo or slackware (or debian) are all 'the next step' distros. If you are looking to learn more about linux, any of these distros will help you along.

They are all easy to install, if you are patient and take the time to read the install guides.

Gentoo takes longest because, as Jawa mentioned, it compiles everything. However, you can avoid this using a Stage 3 install (where the system components are precompiled for you) and the package CD (which has bunch of commonly used apps, also precompiled). From there, you can use the package maintanence system (portage) to install new apps.

I'll let the debian and slackware people speak about their distros. Answering the 'why' question would help us out, though. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:38 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

I gotta say, I'm thinking I'd like to switch to Gentoo at work. I just don't know exactly when I'll have time to make it happen. Maybe I'll get it started on a Friday and let it compile everything over the weekend...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:15 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Hey, Gentoo is my fav...I even got it running on an old Sun Ultra5 from a Stage 1 install with only about 48 hours of compile time ;)

and yes if you can read any of them are 'easy'. However, there are distros out there where you don't have to read to get them up and running...and I would consider those 'easier'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:00 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

HoOdY wrote:
and yes if you can read any of them are 'easy'. However, there are distros out there where you don't have to read to get them up and running...and I would consider those 'easier'.

That's true ... and that is why I asked why he needs to switch.

If he wants to learn more about linux ... then he needs to go up a step. Another hand-holding distro won't teach him much.

However, there might be another reason that he wants to switch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:01 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

WillSmith wrote:
I gotta say, I'm thinking I'd like to switch to Gentoo at work. I just don't know exactly when I'll have time to make it happen. Maybe I'll get it started on a Friday and let it compile everything over the weekend...

Do it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:48 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Well fedora core 1 is only going to be updated for a little while longer and it has a bunch of junk on there that just needs to be redone so i figure it would be easier to install fresh and go from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:16 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Debian would make a more intermediate step perhaps than jumping straight into Slackware or Gentoo.....jeez, imagine if all of us took the hardest path from the beginning....sure, I ruined a few dozen gigs of data by messing with LILO (damn 1024 problems) back in the day, but if I had known about Red Hat or if Mandrake were around, I would have wanted to take that path.

There is a lot to be said about learning on your own, but I can probably safely say that most of us here learned from our mistakes, which might be a bad thing if this is the family's primary/only system.

When in doubt, I now tell my family/friends to load something stable and user friendly, or a Live CD version of something (Knoppix). I agree Jipstyle that it would be much better if we could find out the needs of the users and the experience level of the installer.

Mandrake -- Please consider 9.2 before 10.0 or 10.1, I've had some serious issues with the latest Mandrakes, but this system is built with new users in mind (and woe be to us power users that are prevented from tweaking as we see fit)
Red Hat 9 -- "old", but does a nice job of getting you up and running, plus the RPM system is familiar to your since you are using Fedora....its a step backwards, but its gots its advantages. Of course, you can upgrade to Fedora Core 2 or 3....
Knoppix -- the "tryitbeforeyoubuyit" Linux.
Debian -- 9 out of 10 dentists recommend gum to those that chew gum....I like this choice for a default suggestion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:13 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

_alex911 wrote:
Well fedora core 1 is only going to be updated for a little while longer and it has a bunch of junk on there that just needs to be redone so i figure it would be easier to install fresh and go from there.

I'll second Skillless. Mandrake or SuSE, personally, SuSE is my fave n00b distro. If you're really wanting to push the envelop, go for Debian or Debian based distros (Knoppix, Gnoppix).

Slack or Gentoo will be an awesome move, but considering that you're probably wanting your system to be up in a matter of hours, I would highly refrain from recommending Gentoo. Slack, maybe, if you install Swaret for package management.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:59 am 

Me personally I like mandrake. They even have a live cd version, so you can try it without installing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:41 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I just installed suse 9.1 on the free dvd I got on this system so I could dual boot. It is like mac os x pretty much and very easy and quick to configure and fast, so I'm going to go with it for my moms computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:14 am 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

DJSPIN80 wrote:
_alex911 wrote:

I'll second Skillless. Mandrake or SuSE, personally, SuSE is my fave n00b distro. If you're really wanting to push the envelop, go for Debian or Debian based distros (Knoppix, Gnoppix).

Slack or Gentoo will be an awesome move, but considering that you're probably wanting your system to be up in a matter of hours, I would highly refrain from recommending Gentoo. Slack, maybe, if you install Swaret for package management.

Swaret is crap all it does if screw up slack beyond repair.

Eventually Slapt-Get will end up being a the new package tool.
Was supposed to be in slack 10.0 but it got pulled at the last minute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:57 pm 

Is Slack 10.0 worth the download over 9.1? It seems to be missing a few things I wanted...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:56 am 

Vector Linux is what i'm using now.. it based off of slackware, one of the best distros...