Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Linux multi-mon performance Qs?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:45 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

So, I've got my rig configured and running pretty damn near right, but window drawing seems kind of slow. Resizing windows and even drawing browser pages seems to take a long time.

I'm using the latest nVidia drivers, which I had to custom compile because I'm using the i686 version of the 2.6.6 kernel. I have the first two displays on a GeForce 5900 and the third on an old PCI GeForce2 MX card. It was fast before I tried to get multimon working, so I think I may have borked something in my XF86Config-4 file...

Do any of you guys have any experience with multiple monitor setups?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:55 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

Might be different with the nVidia drivers, but if I have DRI/GL enabled on my G450 in xinerama mode (spanning across all desktops instead of individual desktops per head), it'll be REALLY slow with more than one head. I have to disable DRI/GL for normal stuff and either start a second single-head desktop for games or shut down and restart to only one head for games.

I have no experience with the nvidia drivers so it may be different there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:29 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

I have Load "GLcore" and Load "dri" commented out of the Section "Module"... The nVidia driver install required that to work properly.

I'm not running separate heads. It's all one big spanned desktop using Xinerama. I guess what I should have said is that I have separate screens entries for each head. The nvidia drivers have an option that let you treat dual-head cards as a single head. Unfortunately, it's fast, but wonky.

I have to say that I really dig the apt-get stuff in Debian. Never have I had such an easy time getting apps installed and running in Linux before.

I'm going to post over at the nvnews linux forums and see if any of those guys have suggestions.

///Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:22 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I'm like Colby and never really dealt with NV much.

My only thought is that your solution is going to reside with that gart module that nvidia provides as I do understand there's some configuration hurdles with any card and kernel 2.6...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:27 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

I turned on NvAGP and RenderAccel which helped speed things up a bunch on all three displays, but it's still a little sluggish, especially when I move and resize windows. I can't find any way to configure performance options in sawfish, but I'll work on that some tomorrow I guess.

I think I'm going to disable two of the other desktops. My guess is that they're eating a bunch of memory and slowing things down too.

If that doesn't work, I guess I'll try switching to a lighter footprint window manager.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:24 am 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

Well, I've got two desktops running on one card without much issue. The performance is only very slightly different than with one, so I'm not sure what you're running into.

I believe you said you had three heads, so I guess it's possible that it's just the combination of the cards you're using. You might try dropping down to just a single card (which I presume would be dual head?) and going from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:59 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

That is, of course, option 3. I'd hate to give up that third monitor though. It could have to do with moving data over the PCI bus, but that's never really been a problem with Windows and for 2D data, it shouldn't matter.

I'm actually pretty comfortable with it the way it is now. I'm going to try a window manager that lets me configure how windows are drawn when they're resized and moved before I turn off the third display.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:46 am 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

Sawfish is pretty fat, so that's probably a really good idea. I'm using fluxbox right now and it's really lightweight, but I'm not sure about its Gnome support. Some things play better with Gnome than others :)