Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Jawa, why the hell doesn't Slackware recognize my HDD?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:29 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Hey,

I just got Slackware 10 to recognize my keyboard, and now it won't recognize my HDDs!

I went to install it. I logged in as "root" and proceeded to type "cfdisk /dev/hda". It proceeded to respond with "fatal error, disk not found" or some crap like that.

Jawa, anyone, what the hell is wrong? I've been tring for hours to get this damn thing to at least partition a disk. I've found that Win XP won't do anything but NTFS, which just damn nice.

I don't know what to do. I looked up a Slackware install guide, and I couldn't get past step 4.

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:32 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

hard drive SATA ? RAID (on raid/ide controller card to be more exact?) if so maybe it is lacking drivers for your SATA or RAID/IDE controller?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:32 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Oh, BTW, I'm not running RAID, SATA, SCSI, or anything else funny. I just have two 7200RPM HDDs, a Maxtor 30gb (The target) and an 80gb Seagate.

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:35 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

huh?

http://www.slackware.com/install/partitions.php I imagine ya'll have already looked at the link here? but maybe it will helpl.

that is weird that it's not seeing you IDE drives....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:38 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Yeah, I tried fdisk as well, no go.

Damn, this sucks,

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:01 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

Did you try other drive letters? hdb, hdc, sda, sdb, sdc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:06 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

colby wrote:

No, it wasn't recognizing hda, and I didn't want it in hdb.

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:09 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

Did you try sda then (possible that SCSI emulation would kick you over to the s drive letters)?

Also, checking hdb would at least tell you if it was properly detecting your drives -- you can always exit cfdisk without writing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:03 pm 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

Belboz99 wrote:
colby wrote:

No, it wasn't recognizing hda, and I didn't want it in hdb.

Dan O.

Have your check dmesg.... it willlist any kind of errors on boot process. also other hardware starting up.

also you can see me and all the other friendly people in #slackware at irc.freenode.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:12 pm 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

just message stonecolddsl if he is in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:13 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

Jawa78 wrote:
also you can see me and all the other friendly people in #slackware at irc.freenode.net

He's in the Delphi chat if you can help out there. He and Radar are trying to sort it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:34 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Okay guys, here's the scoop.

I installed the first CD of Slackware. The drive I was looking for was actually hdc. I unfortunaltey forgot to burn the second disk, though I did download it.

I figured that the fist disk had all I needed anyway, perhaps I was wrong.

When I restarted the computer, I took the install disk out of the drive. WIndows booted. It was then that I remembered what the installation said, that if I chose to use the superblock that I would have to change the bootable toggles in either cfdisk or fdisk. So, I rebooted the computer witht the intall disk in the DVD-Rom drive, and after I logged on as "root" changed the toggle such that both drives were bootable. That is, hdc1 and hdc2 (hdc2 is where I installed Slackware 10). Now when I booted the computer, it said that I had an invalid partion table. So, I rebooted again, and toggled hda1 such that it was not bootable int he hopes that Linux would boot, give me two options for booting, and everything would be fine. Instead, Linux booted, without the option for Windows. So, I rebooted, changed the toggles back to their original settings, and let windows boot for more info. I was very unhappy to find that the entire hdc was a failed disk.

This is the point where I decided to get some sleep.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:39 am 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

When dealing with windows paritions you can not have 2 paritions labeled as boot flag. it will confused the computer.

A. it always best to do a full install of slackware which includeds everything you need if by some reason you need to compile something

Which in slackware case is usualy a good one. As there has not been enough time yet to update all the packages on linuxpackages.net for slackware 10.

HDC ??? are your hds on your 2ndary ide.... mine is hdc simply just because do to case / motherboard design i had to stick my opticals on primary ide channel and hd on my secondary ide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:48 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Hey Jawa, I got it to work!

All I had to do was boot the first CD again, and set the type of the drive to NTFS and write the partition table.

Then all that had to be done was give it a letter in Windows.

I just burned the second CD, I'm on my way to find out if I can install it without reinstalling the rest of the OS.

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:26 am 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

probably not...

you can do it easily this way.

go into one of the folders as there should not be too many and go installpkg *.tgz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:12 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Okay, this morning I finished reinstalling Slackware 10.

After much reseach on the net I learned how to boot using the installation disk, (I don't seem to have a working bootloader), then I found where it had mounted hdc1 after much fiddling, then I installed Nvidia's latest drivers for Linux, as startx would not boot due to "no screens".

Now I seem to be stuck trying to configure the OS to use the now installed Nvidia drivers. The readme for the drivers listed a config file that was in a directory that did not exist in slackware 10, and the log file I could find but I did not know how to edit it. The readme didn't explain how to edit it, it just said to go to that path and "edit" it by changing specific lines.

I feel as if I'm just a few secret commands from loading Slackware 10's GUI, I really wanted to finish and get inside, but my boss was demanding that I start work. :( Actually, my current boss is my mother, I'm creating a slideshow dvd for her using Roxio of all her family's old photos from the early 20th century.

I need to know how to configure Slackware for a Geforce 4 fx5200 vid card. I think I've got the drivers installed alright, it's just a matter of changing a few lines in the config and log files.

I won't be able to do it now though, I've got class in 40min, but if you can leave me some advice when you get the chance I hope to be able to give it another go in a few hours.

Thanks all,
Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:53 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

You're looking for the file "XF86Config" or "XF86Config-4". Usually this file is in the directory /etc/X11, but it may also be in just plain /etc or some other weird place on your filesystem. You can try "locate XF86Config" to try to find it. That's the only file you need to edit to change your driver and solve whatever is preventing you from getting into the GUI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:04 pm 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

colby wrote:
You're looking for the file "XF86Config" or "XF86Config-4". Usually this file is in the directory /etc/X11, but it may also be in just plain /etc or some other weird place on your filesystem. You can try "locate XF86Config" to try to find it. That's the only file you need to edit to change your driver and solve whatever is preventing you from getting into the GUI.

slack moved to xorg 6.7 over xf86 4.4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:33 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Jawa78 wrote:
colby wrote:

slack moved to xorg 6.7 over xf86 4.4

Okay, so I'm looking for "xorgConfig"?

So, should I try booting Slackware again and type "locate xorgConfig" at root?

Thanks,
Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:58 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Belboz99 wrote:

Okay, so I'm looking for "xorgConfig"?

So, should I try booting Slackware again and type "locate xorgConfig" at root?

I actually beleive the file you're looking or is going to be either

/etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/xorgconf (I forget which)

I would look at that documentation for that driver though, I suspect there's an install script that'll explain exactly what has to be done as you'll be dealing with two things here...support for the card and support for agpgart.