Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need some advice before installing Mandrake
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:24 pm 

This has probably been asked a million times before, but I'm a lazy bastard and would rather ask it again rather than look for a thread that answers all my questions. So bear with me.

Okay. After several years of thinking I've finally given in and am now intent on running Mandrake Linux in a WinXP/Mandrake dualboot environment. I plan to install it to a small partition on my secondary hard drive, which I use primarily for backups of my primary drive. But before I do anything, I need some questions answered.

1) How big should I make the partition? Should it be FAT32 or NTFS? Does it matter? Am I just worrying too much and should I just format the damn thing and let the Mandrake installer guide me through it?

2) Do I have to modify the C:\boot.ini file myself, or will Windows handle it?

3) Can I store my Linux programs on my primary drive?

4) Will the installer come with drivers for my videocard and printer, or do I have to find and install them manually?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Need some advice before installing Mandrake
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:35 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Affliction wrote:
1) How big should I make the partition? Should it be FAT32 or NTFS? Does it matter? Am I just worrying too much and should I just format the damn thing and let the Mandrake installer guide me through it?

Just let the Mandrake installer do everything for you. The installer will let you choose the drive and then give you a slider bar to choose how much space to give the Linux partition.

Just defrag your NTFS/FAT32 drives, pop in the 1st Mandrake CD and follow the instructions.

Affliction wrote:

Nope. The Mandrake installer will do all that for you.

Affliction wrote:

Yes. Linux can read/write NTFS/FAT but it would be best to create a partition on the primary just for Linux.

Affliction wrote:
4) Will the installer come with drivers for my videocard and printer...

Most likely yes. Mandrake/Linux has excellent "out-of-the-box" hardware support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:34 pm 

Thanks. Sounds like it'll be okay. I'm still a bit nervous about this so I'm gonna sleep first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:06 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Nothing to be nervous about :) Mandrake is much easier to install than Windows, even when setting up a dualboot.

Good luck.

Post subject: Re: Need some advice before installing Mandrake
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:44 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Quote:

You should let the Mandrake Installer do it, but you won't be formating to NTFS or FAT32, but rather either ext2 or ReiserFS. Again, this should be done automatically.

Quote:
\

No, it should install either LILO or Grub (whichever you choose, I think Grub is the default) and make the proper entried.

Quote:

Maybe, but I wouldn't suggest it. You'll have to mount that drive for your Linux install to see anything on it.

Quote:
4) Will the installer come with drivers for my videocard and printer, or do I have to find and install them manually?

Again, maybe. Most vid cards are there, but some are not, so read the documentation and ask questions because there might be some issues or special needs there.

In all honesty, if HD space is an issue, I'd probably be looking at something like Mandrake move or using the Mandrake LiveCD instead if you're not looking at adding a new HD or clearing out some space for it.