Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What are the advantages of Linux?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:39 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Hey all.

I'm thinking about doing a dualboot with Slackware. But, I'm the type of person that likes to analyse big decisions. Considering that this will make the largest portion of free space unavailable to windows, and the fact that I've had to format the whole drive after using Mandrake 7.0, I consider this a big decision.

So, what are the real advantages of running a Linux distro such as Slackware? I mean, if it was better than Windows, everybody and their brother would be using Linux, but they're not.

What kinds of things can Slackware or a similar distro do that Win XP Pro can't?

Does it run faster? Boot faster?

How much of my existing software will work on Linux? IE, I have a scanning software that does not install, it has no ties to Windows. Will it run on Linux?

How much of my day to day activites can I perform on Linux? IE, scanning, photo editing (I have heard of GIMP), web surfing, DVD burning, CD burning, Word Processing, Internet Radio listening, MP3 playing, etc.

Can Linux do any of these operations better/faster?

I can't stand MS Office 2000, how much better is Open Office?

Well, I think that's most of the questions I have right now. I've got a new Lite-On PS/2 keyboard in processing at Newegg as my current keyboard (USB Zippy) is completley incompatable with Linux. That was the only thing that didn't run on Knoppix besides the sound card, but I've got Nforce Audio working again, thanks to the new Abit NF7-S.

Thanks in advance,
Dan O.

Post subject: Re: What are the advantages of Linux?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:29 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

"So, what are the real advantages of running a Linux distro such as Slackware?"

Control, I feel I have better control of my systems in Linux then Windows.

"I mean, if it was better than Windows, everybody and their brother would be using Linux, but they're not"

I think amt of people using anything doesn't mean its better. I have also found people have problems with windows as it is. Most just want it to work with out the how.

"What kinds of things can Slackware or a similar distro do that Win XP Pro can't?"

be made to boot from a CD(ie the Live CD distros), run many services "out of the box". it can be srunk down to a very small footprint if needed. Lighter system requirements. I can run the most current slack on a 486 if I want.

"How much of my existing software will work on Linux? IE, I have a scanning software that does not install, it has no ties to Windows. Will it run on Linux?"

quick answer 0, long answeryou have Wine that may work but its a program by program basis. But there are also a lot of options out there too. you may be able to find replacement apps. Basicly you will need to do some reasearch to see what you need.

"How much of my day to day activites can I perform on Linux? IE, scanning, photo editing (I have heard of GIMP), web surfing, DVD burning, CD burning, Word Processing, Internet Radio listening, MP3 playing, etc."

all. I cant say I have done DVD burning but I have done the rest.

"Can Linux do any of these operations better/faster?"

it always posible, it depends on you setup and you programs what not, YMMV

"I can't stand MS Office 2000, how much better is Open Office?"

dont know, I use star office, I dont do much offce really. I am happy with star office thought.

To me the advantage is I am in control and I have a lot of options and possiblities. I like to tinker so Im happy with Linux

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:53 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Belboz99 wrote:
So, what are the real advantages of running a Linux distro such as Slackware? I mean, if it was better than Windows, everybody and their brother would be using Linux, but they're not.

Porsches are better than VW's, but I see more people driving VW's than Porshes. You probably own some devices running Linux right now and you don't even know it (ditto for Java - which runs in over 1.5 billion devices according to Sun).

Belboz99 wrote:
What kinds of things can Slackware or a similar distro do that Win XP Pro can't?

Does it run faster? Boot faster?

A large variety of free software, a kernel that you can configure to suit your needs, runs on non-x86 hardware, several interesting window managers, several filesystems, etc. Linux also provides people who are really interested in how a computer runs a way to tinker and try new things out.

If you think boot time is a meaningful OS criteria, you've probably wandered into the wrong place. No one developing Linux gives a rat's ass about how fast the system boots - and my monitor 'wakes up' much faster than your computer boots. Stability, security, good modular code, multi-platform support, and source code availability are the criteria Linux developers consider important. You'll also need to fight the urge to hit the reset button - only Windows users have this strange desire to reboot.

Belboz99 wrote:
How much of my day to day activites can I perform on Linux? IE, scanning, photo editing (I have heard of GIMP), web surfing, DVD burning, CD burning, Word Processing, Internet Radio listening, MP3 playing, etc.

None of your Windows software is going to run natively in Linux. You might find that Wine is able to run some of it - this can be a real pita and IMO is simply not worth the effort. However, you will find native Linux alternatives for all the items you listed. You'll have to check on the availability of drivers for scanner as well.

It sounds like you might want to try Knoppix or the Slack cdroms. These are always a good option for getting your feet wet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:40 am 

I like it because for the same type of program, you pay a lot less for it in linux than in windows (nothing, most of the time). I hope thats the type of response you were sort of looking for...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:55 am 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

all i can say is as a slackware user I should reccommend slackware. But i would like to say that if you are ready to read alot and grew up on dos than you will set. Slack 10 does alot of more as far as setting up your hardware automaticly. But it still amazing os

Advantages of slackware over others

The most stable of all Linux distros
Most unix like of all distros
Simple to read and use BSD style init scripts

There are others that are easier to use by with gui installers and bloat but it will not be as fast and responsive as slack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:42 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Quote:
But i would like to say that if you are ready to read alot and grew up on dos than you will set.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to read alot (I have poor eyesight when it comes to reading out of a book), but I did grow up on DOS.

I was very young though when I was quite literally growing up on the stuff. I was 7 years old when my father brought home a Tandy 2100. I quicky learned how to operate the dual floppy drives, but only doing simple commands such as "run" and "dir a:" and later dir/p a:".

It was about the next year when I started learning basic from a book called "Armchair Basic". I quickly began tearing apart the code from my favorite games and learning how it worked. I started driving my sisters nuts by programming repeating programs that would play annoying sounds through the PC speaker. Amazingly, that PC speaker could play sounds that were almost out of the range of the human ear, though our dog heard them quite well :lol:

Today I still use the command prompt. Every now and then while I'm on the web I'll find out about a cool command and I'll type the command with a"?" at the end to learn all about it. I like to use stuff like "tracert" and the newer one (forgot what it was already :( )

I've never worked on Unix though. I do belive the biggest thing that has always frustrated me with Windows is the lack of customization, and the amount that I can "tinker" with it.

I'm not sure though if there is any software out there that can compete with Vuescan. I invested $80 in that software for a lifetime of free upgrades. The software is king in the scanning world. I'll have to look it up on Google and see if there is any Linux version.

I did run Knoppix, and I liked what I saw. I liked the way it had small icons for photos in the file manager, and when you hovered over one you got a much larger image as well as file info. I thought that was pretty cool. I didn't get to do much though, as my keyboard was not compatable with it.

Well, I've got another few days before my keyboard arrives. Then I'll run Slackware as a Live CD and see how I like it.

Thanks all for the advice,
Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:50 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

OMG! Right on Ed Hamrick's site, there are three versions of Vuescan; Windows, Mac, and LINUX!

Hell yeah baby!

It'll be a rough switch learing to do things on GIMP though. I've been a PSP user for the past 2 years, basically my entire photo-editing history.

I'm pretty damn sure that PSP isn't available on Linux, but I tried out the new version of Gimp the other day when I loaded Knoppix and it wasn't that bad.

Sweet,
Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:36 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Jawa78 wrote:

Why? They're all running the same kernel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:40 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Belboz99 wrote:
I've never worked on Unix though. I do belive the biggest thing that has always frustrated me with Windows is the lack of customization, and the amount that I can "tinker" with it.

Well, if that is the case, you're going to love Linux. Since you know some BASIC, you'll probably also be wanting to tinker with Python, PHP, Perl, Java, or some other languages in the future as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:14 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Belboz99 wrote:

A manual transmission tends to be more gas efficient, provides far more control over your engine (and thus your car) than an automatic, AND is more fun to drive (ok, that is subjective). Despite this, most people pay more for an automatic tranny because it is easier to use.

Windows has market share for the same reason.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:15 am 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

Gadget wrote:
Jawa78 wrote:

you would think they all be equal but alot of times redhat and others dont justcompile the kernel code but make there own tweaks and hacks ... Also the kernel is not the only thing that has to be stable how software interac with each other is also very important.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:16 am 

Jipstyle wrote:

A manual transmission tends to be more gas efficient, provides far more control over your engine (and thus your car) than an automatic, AND is more fun to drive (ok, that is subjective). Despite this, most people pay more for an automatic tranny because it is easier to use.

Windows has market share for the same reason.

:)

Windows also got a 6 year head start on linux, which probably helped gain marketshare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:17 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Jawa78 wrote:
Gadget wrote:
Jawa78 wrote:

you would think they all be equal but alot of times redhat and others dont justcompile the kernel code but make there own tweaks and hacks ... Also the kernel is not the only thing that has to be stable how software interac with each other is also very important.

True, but a misbehaved daemon or application is probably just as likely to find itself in slack as it in another distro. I agree with what you're saying - I wouldn't say that Slack is more stable, maybe better polished than some?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:22 am 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

not really as everything is carefully ran and tested. slackware does not always have the bleeding edge packages all the time for the same reason. But this does not mean that someone go around install somthing and cause it to crash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:35 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

A system is only as stable as its admin makes it. I can make an unstable slack system in minutes; I can make a stable RH system as well.

Slack might be more stable, by default, than some of the n00bier distros (Redhat/Fedora, Mandrake) but that doesn't make it 'the most stable linux distro' ... that is a title that doesn't make much sense.

My Gentoo system is perfectly stable ... hasn't ever crashed (almost a year since I first installed it) and has never required a reboot except for new kernels.

With Windows, stability is part luck, part mysticism, and part wishful thinking ... with linux, stability is dependant on the sys admin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:24 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Jipstyle wrote:
My Gentoo system is perfectly stable ... hasn't ever crashed (almost a year since I first installed it) and has never required a reboot except for new kernels.

True enough, but how many times did you have to go through installing it?? I tend to beleive more times then ever, it forces you to do it right...and it helps some that most people that install it are pretty anal about that kind of think :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:23 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Belboz99 wrote:
Hey all.
I'm thinking about doing a dualboot with Slackware.

Damn good choice :)

Belboyz99 wrote:
Considering that this will make the largest portion of free space unavailable to windows

Not true, you could partition your hd into 2 partitions, a smaller one for just slackware, and a bigger one that runs vfat (fat32), that way BOTH linux AND windows can see it.

Hopefully I haven't reposted what someone else has already posted. I just didn't want to read that much.

As far as your other questions, I'm sure other's have provided great answers.