Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: how odd is this?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:57 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

i know this i kind of old.....but did anyone ever try this?

link

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:53 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Ahahahaha ... that is hilarious. The fact that he was funded by the NSF is disturbing, though.

I'd never run that, though ... csh was getting shot in the back by friendly processes? If a 'room' has too many processes, they start to kill each other? Wow. You'd think he'd at least code some recognition into the software, so that the daemons would only attack unneeded or dangerous processes ... the same way that your system might kill a misbehaving process.

Hilarious link, though ... "Help! I'm being attacked by csh (pid 18729)!" ... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:16 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

:lol: That's awesome! The only question I have is if the processes fight back. I know that when playing FPS, during particularily intense levels, the adrenaline gets pumping. If I was sysadmin, I'd probably do something stupid like like kill a printer server or something :P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:49 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

What if you kill the process that is running the Doom interface? Do your processes start running amok? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:09 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Jipstyle wrote:
What if you kill the process that is running the Doom interface? Do your processes start running amok? :lol:

LOL... :) Hopefully, that isn't an option! I would assume, you the player are that process, so I guess a /kill at the console would do the trick.

I always wondered if he has the monsters juking or something. A smart web server monster camps out next to some pita process and right when you go to shoot that process, it jukes to the side, or your web process jumps in front, and blam, you spend the next two hours explaining to your boss what the hell happened. "No, it was that damn zombie's fault, I swear!"

That is an old program - real old. I remember seeing it and thinking 'how cool' like three or four years ago. I think he/she should change the UI though. Instead of heath and armor, it should be cpu and memory utiliaztion. The ammo part (left side) could be the number, or names if not that many, of people logged into the system. The ammo part (right side) could be du / df for all of the mounted filesystems, etc.

Hmm.... on second thought. Feel like doing a cross-platform Java version?

Post subject: An OS
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:51 pm 

There was some old OS project like 3 or 4 years ago where EVERY action was controlled via a game (I can't remember the name); you would shoot at files to delete them, pick up Filesystems to mount them, etc.; however, it never got off the ground.