Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Newbie: Install via root, kernel upgrade and permissions
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:44 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Hi all brave Linux veterans,
I am a raw noob to Mandrake Linux, hence the *dumb questions*. Please explain the answers to me in 12th grade english :lol:
#1- When installing any new program, do you always have to start out in root ? If not, does the readme tell you that you do not have to ?
#2- When going from kernel 2.6.3 to 2.6.8, do you *make* a brand new kernel or is that considered a *patch* ?
#3- These f***** permissions are driving me nuts. Short of running in root ALL the time, how do I quickly gain access to files and folders ? I usually run Mandrake 10.0 Official.
Thanks for your time and patience.
Steve in mickeyland

Post subject: Re: Newbie: Install via root, kernel upgrade and permissions
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:19 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

1. Depending on what you're doing. Obviously you'll need root permissions to do some things, but it's not necessary if all you're doing is installing into your local directory. Most readme's I've seen tell you exactly what you have to do with the assumption that you have some base knowledge of your own.

2. Again, depending on what you're doing. Most cases, you'll have everything built for you, but not every case. Understand a patch isn't going to address every module in there, so in the end, you just ending up updating the modules addressed in the changelog...which may or may not be of any benefit to you.

3. By executing an SU command.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:30 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

furball146 wrote:
1. Depending on what you're doing. Obviously you'll need root permissions to do some things, but it's not necessary if all you're doing is installing into your local directory. Most readme's I've seen tell you exactly what you have to do with the assumption that you have some base knowledge of your own.

2. Again, depending on what you're doing. Most cases, you'll have everything built for you, but not every case. Understand a patch isn't going to address every module in there, so in the end, you just ending up updating the modules addressed in the changelog...which may or may not be of any benefit to you.

3. By executing an SU command.

thanks ! :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:38 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

newbiesteve wrote:
#1- When installing any new program, do you always have to start out in root ? If not, does the readme tell you that you do not have to ?

You don't ever have to start out in root, if you need root permissions you can use "su" at a command prompt to change into root. Since you mentioned readmes I assume you are working with tarballs (tar.gz). You don't need to be root to ./configure or compile (make) but you usually need to "su" to root to install (make install). Usually the readme won't explicitly say that root is needed for any particular step.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:37 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

newbiesteve wrote:
Hi all brave Linux veterans,
I am a raw noob to Mandrake Linux, hence the *dumb questions*. Please explain the answers to me in 12th grade english :lol:
#2- When going from kernel 2.6.3 to 2.6.8, do you *make* a brand new kernel or is that considered a *patch* ?
#3- These f***** permissions are driving me nuts. Short of running in root ALL the time, how do I quickly gain access to files and folders ? I usually run Mandrake 10.0 Official.
Thanks for your time and patience.
Steve in mickeyland

1: if you compile it is done almost all as your user, and su to root to do make install. The readme should tell you the steps. YMMV
now if you install from a packing system I expect it will have top be done as root, if I use "installpkg"(slackware, the best linux distro out there :P) I have to "su" to root

2: If you work from the kernel source you will want to build a new kernel to replace the old one, a jump that great may impliment more then a few changes. your distro may allow you to add a new kernel though the package system already to go. YMMV, also how you kernel is built will also affect weather you can just add updated modules or not

3: could you explain what you being blocked from? you may need to just su or change some permissions on some devices.