All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:34 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

DJSPIN80 wrote:
Gadget wrote:
colby wrote:
Been a while since you visited Slashdot and read the comments, hasn't it Gadget ;)

Yeah. I need to take more classes, or I might catch the brain damage. ;)

Slashdot has failed to impress me, so I never, ever visit. There are far too many childishness is places like /. and couple that with the inherent stupidity of their posts makes for one heck of a brain-hurting time. I can seriously count the number of times I've visited /. so much so, that it fits in one hand (I've only been there like 10 times in the past 7 years).

Oh, you're not fooling anyone Cmd Taco. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:47 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

:lol:

Seriously, though ... I think /. is a great resource .. I just don't read the assorted drivel. I've set it up so it displays news items related to things I'm interested in, so I scan those a couple of times a day and read the links of interest.

Anything I want to discuss, I post here. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:36 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Jipstyle wrote:
:lol:

Seriously, though ... I think /. is a great resource .. I just don't read the assorted drivel. I've set it up so it displays news items related to things I'm interested in, so I scan those a couple of times a day and read the links of interest.

Anything I want to discuss, I post here. :D

Slashdot has bored me, besides, I'm liking spending my time reading literature rather than geeky stuff. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:04 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

DJSPIN80 wrote:
Slashdot has bored me, besides, I'm liking spending my time reading literature rather than geeky stuff. :P

Now that I can't argue with ... whatcha reading? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:29 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Jipstyle wrote:
DJSPIN80 wrote:

Now that I can't argue with ... whatcha reading? :)

I finised Dostoyevsky's Crime And Punishment some time ago, right now, I'm reading some Christian books (after all, I am a Christian), right now it's A.W. Tozer's Knowledge of the Holy and afterwards, I'll stick with this genre and read Bonnhoeffer and Lewis. Later on, I'll definitely go back to Dostoyevsky and read Brothers Karamazov.

I like heavy hitters... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:55 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Very nice. :)

May I suggest some Kierkegaard to bridge the gap? He is a Christian existentialist ... which, for a lesser mind, would be quite an impossibility.

Definitely good stuff to read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:09 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Jipstyle wrote:
Very nice. :)

May I suggest some Kierkegaard to bridge the gap? He is a Christian existentialist ... which, for a lesser mind, would be quite an impossibility.

Definitely good stuff to read.

Kierkegaard failed to impress me when I read Fear And Trembling. Bonnhoeffer's stuff is heavy though, I might get into Christian ethics later, but I try not to be to detailed with my reading plans, I just kind of wing things. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:26 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Cool... I'm the same way (about winging things). I have a little notebook (actually, it is a series of notebooks ... as each is filled I buy another and toss the old one into a crate) ... I carry it with me everywhere.

Whenever I'm in a bookstore (usually a used book store, 'cause I am cheap and broke), I leaf through my notebook to see what texts were suggested to me and try to find them ... I buy the one that is most interesting to me at the time.

One of these days, I really should get in the habit of going to the library instead. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:43 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Jipstyle wrote:
Cool... I'm the same way (about winging things). I have a little notebook (actually, it is a series of notebooks ... as each is filled I buy another and toss the old one into a crate) ... I carry it with me everywhere.

Whenever I'm in a bookstore (usually a used book store, 'cause I am cheap and broke), I leaf through my notebook to see what texts were suggested to me and try to find them ... I buy the one that is most interesting to me at the time.

One of these days, I really should get in the habit of going to the library instead. :P

The Library has been suggested before, but knowing me, all the books will be late, so much so that the amount due for late fines will equal the cost of three textbooks. ;)

I'm building up my library, so buying books (used/new, doesn't matter0 is a prerogative of mine. :P

Post subject: Re: Linux kernel 2.6.8
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:12 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Skeksis wrote:
DJSPIN80 wrote:
Upgrade now! Not only is this kernel better... ...it's a real good kernel!

Maybe not just yet, From K3b: Do not use Kernel 2.6.8:

"A patch that was introduced into the kernel shortly before the 2.6.8 release makes K3b and also the dvd+rw-tools unusable on Linux (unless run as root but that is not recommended)."

"Be aware that kernel 2.6.8 also contains the memory leak which makes it impossible to write audio cds, even as root."

BTW, a bit old I know, but I made an audio CD using Linux kernel 2.6.8 and K3B, and it worked fine to me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:47 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

DJSPIN80 wrote:
BTW, a bit old I know, but I made an audio CD using Linux kernel 2.6.8 and K3B, and it worked fine to me.

Thats cool that it worked for you. Does the CD play ok? Is there any distortion in the audio?

Here is some more info on what others are experiencing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:20 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Skeksis wrote:
DJSPIN80 wrote:

Thats cool that it worked for you. Does the CD play ok? Is there any distortion in the audio?

Here is some more info on what others are experiencing.

Plays okay, no problems with it whatsoever.