Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Linux kernel 2.6.8
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:58 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Upgrade now! Not only is this kernel better, but it's also faster. Noticeable difference in speed, CPU utilization, and memory management. Also, PCI-Express is supported, so if you're thinking of getting PCIe, use this kernel.

For Gentoo users, here's how to upgrade using genkernel:

emerge development-sources genkernel (get the latest one)
cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.8-rc2
genkernel --kerneldir=/usr/src/linux-2.6.8-rc2 all

After the kernel has compiled:

ls -l /usr/src/linux

check to make sure that the symlink points to linux-2.6.8-rc2, if it doesn't, do this:

rm /usr/src/linux remove the linux symlink
ln -sf /usr/src/linux-2.6.8-rc2 /usr/src/linux

Make a new symlink that points to the new kernel.

ls -l /usr/src/linux

from here, you're going to have to edit GRUB/LILO to use the new kernel. For GRUB, I rebooted my system and edited my grub boot config to:

kernel=/boot/kernel-2.6.8-rc2
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.8-rc2

If you're having problems, here's a tip: Go back to the Gentoo docs and follow how they manually configured the kernel, I actually went back and did those steps when I couldn't get my new kernel to work. Surprisingly, it helps a lot.

Anyhow, enjoy 2.6.8, it's a real good kernel!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:55 am 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

I will keep my slackware commie ass exactly where it is at 2.4.x Until pat puts 2.6 in main stream on slack 10.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:38 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Yea..but do I have to still do this rain dance to get my ATI working at 8X with a VIA chipset :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:10 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Jawa78 wrote:
I will keep my slackware commie ass exactly where it is at 2.4.x Until pat puts 2.6 in main stream on slack 10.1

Pat hasn't put 2.6 kernel up for Slack? Weird.

On my recent Slack install, I tried upgrading the kernel and that was a pain. I couldn't figure out how to configure it. I might try once more and install GRUB instead for my Slack install. BTW, since you're the Slack commie, do you have any ideas on how to install Slack on VMWare? I'd like to keep up with Slack, but I have no free machines to use it on. VMWare is my only option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:30 pm 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

Pat did make 9.1 and 10 fully 2.6 compatible... also put 2.6 tgz pakcage to easily upgrade to 2.6 2.6 is in the testing extra folder on 10.0 but is not the base kernel which is 2.4.28 or what ever the last 2.4 kernel was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:11 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

DJSPIN80 wrote:
On my recent Slack install, I tried upgrading the kernel and that was a pain. I couldn't figure out how to configure it. I might try once more and install GRUB instead for my Slack install. BTW, since you're the Slack commie, do you have any ideas on how to install Slack on VMWare? I'd like to keep up with Slack, but I have no free machines to use it on. VMWare is my only option.

You can use and install on VMWare just like you would normally install on a hard drive. You will want to provide VMWare with the install media via ISO or physical access to the CDROM. It's pretty straightforward.

The network adapters are AMD PCNet and the drives use SCSI through the BusLogic driver, I am pretty sure. All I had to do was build a kernel with these two things in it -- the stock debian kernel worked for me, but my custom kernel had to have these two things in it to work :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:47 am 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

Unlike debian....

Slackware will pick up on your net automaticly no problm and your scsi too ( or it did when i installed 10 on 4.5)

there is a vmware driver in Xfree and Xorg now.

other than that you are all set. though i would recommend installing the vmware addon anyway for things like drag and drop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:39 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Jawa78 wrote:
Unlike debian....

Slackware will pick up on your net automaticly no problm and your scsi too ( or it did when i installed 10 on 4.5)

other than that you are all set. though i would recommend installing the vmware addon anyway for things like drag and drop.

Cool beans! Thanks all!!! :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:08 am 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

Jawa78 wrote:
Unlike debian....

Did you miss the part where I said the debian kernel image *did* detect it automatically, and it was *my* kernel that didn't? I build a thin kernel with only what I need, and previous to VMWare I didn't need those two drivers.

The two components you need were if you wanted to build your own kernel, I'm imagining it would work out of the box with most distributions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:34 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

DJSPIN80 wrote:
On my recent Slack install, I tried upgrading the kernel and that was a pain. I couldn't figure out how to configure it.

make menuconfig?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:13 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

kkith wrote:
DJSPIN80 wrote:
On my recent Slack install, I tried upgrading the kernel and that was a pain. I couldn't figure out how to configure it.

make menuconfig?

I finally figured out my mistake, and it was a dumb one. I didn't update LILO to boot to the new kernel, hence why when I rebooted, it told me it was still kernel 2.4.x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:52 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

DJSPIN80 wrote:
I finally figured out my mistake, and it was a dumb one. I didn't update LILO to boot to the new kernel, hence why when I rebooted, it told me it was still kernel 2.4.x

Doh! I've done that a couple of times. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:24 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Does anyone know if make install works with LILO?

I know it does with grub...which is what I've been going with lately....

Post subject: Re: Linux kernel 2.6.8
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:20 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

DJSPIN80 wrote:
Upgrade now! Not only is this kernel better... ...it's a real good kernel!

Maybe not just yet, From K3b: Do not use Kernel 2.6.8:

"A patch that was introduced into the kernel shortly before the 2.6.8 release makes K3b and also the dvd+rw-tools unusable on Linux (unless run as root but that is not recommended)."

"Be aware that kernel 2.6.8 also contains the memory leak which makes it impossible to write audio cds, even as root."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:18 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Skeksis wrote:
DJSPIN80 wrote:
Upgrade now! Not only is this kernel better... ...it's a real good kernel!

Maybe not just yet, From K3b: Do not use Kernel 2.6.8:

"A patch that was introduced into the kernel shortly before the 2.6.8 release makes K3b and also the dvd+rw-tools unusable on Linux (unless run as root but that is not recommended)."

"Be aware that kernel 2.6.8 also contains the memory leak which makes it impossible to write audio cds, even as root."

Weird, I was using K3B to write CD's, never had a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:21 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

DJSPIN80 wrote:
Weird, I was using K3B to write CD's, never had a problem.

Yeah, I haven't been able to verify this (I'm still using 2.6.3), maybe it only effects one writing mode; TAO, DAO or RAW? Are you able to burn audio CDs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:17 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

This is an interesting current issue in Linux land. Several kernel devs (I saw it a while back at kernel trap) seem to feel that 2.6 is being used as a beta kernel, instead of creating a 2.7 branch. I'm sure this is part of the reason that people like Patrick haven't included it in their releases. I have to wonder why OSDL didn't catch this either.

only semi-related rant
On a side note, I've been reading some at Slashdot recently. Peering into the forum posts is enlightening. Every day I am simply awe struck by the utter ____ (eg. idiocy, boneheadness, willingness to mislead/lie, etc) of so many of the posters! A recent article on OSNews discusses some of the issues Sun is looking into before releasing Solaris. This included things like formal testing, commit issues, etc. All were valid concerns for any software organization, especially one that guarantees certain levels of uptime for critical systems, and wants to continue offering that level of stability in the future. Most engineers don't accept the 'OSS is better, period' mentality because someone with recongizable initials on slashdot said so, and implying that the Linux kernel development methods/model might not be sufficient didn't go over well with a few of the readers.

As you can imagine, some of the posts were just redicous examples of this childish slashdot mentatlity, and included several attacks to the engineers who were active in the thread, bs about how in one employees blog this so called 'oss developer' was called a 'robber' (several people checked - a complete lie), etc. More than one subsequent poster felt compelled to apologize for this behavior. I would wanted to kick the first posters ass - he was that big of a d*ckhead.

What is it about OSS websites and forums that draws so damn many vocal knuckleheads, and don't say it is 'just a few' cause it seems like there at least a few thousand of them over at slashdot. I've never seen anything like it anywhere else on the web. You don't see news, sport, hobby, and other sites degenerate into anything close to what occurs at slashdot on a daily basis. Even politcal sites are much tamer by comparison. Sometimes it reminds me of the movie Con Air, where they use long poles to push the one serial killer, wearing the mask and strapped to the wheel chair, into the plane. After seeing him and commenting on the freak show, Nicholas Cage says something like "Well, he's on the right plane."
/rant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:54 am 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

Been a while since you visited Slashdot and read the comments, hasn't it Gadget ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:12 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

colby wrote:
Been a while since you visited Slashdot and read the comments, hasn't it Gadget ;)

Yeah. I need to take more classes, or I might catch the brain damage. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:22 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Gadget wrote:
colby wrote:

Yeah. I need to take more classes, or I might catch the brain damage. ;)

Slashdot has failed to impress me, so I never, ever visit. There are far too many childishness is places like /. and couple that with the inherent stupidity of their posts makes for one heck of a brain-hurting time. I can seriously count the number of times I've visited /. so much so, that it fits in one hand (I've only been there like 10 times in the past 7 years).