Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: TW Does Debian
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:55 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Ok, I installed Debian 'Sarge' on my Tualatin 1.4.
So far, I like it. A lot. This and Slack are my 2 favorite distros so far.

The only complaints I have thus far is that it automatically boots into the X environment. At first, I didn't have the mouse plugged in because this system doesn't seem to like the mouse on the PS/2 port.
Anyways, it's kind of a pain to get around without a mouse. Oddly enough, the mouse was behaving on the PS/2 port w/ Debian. It refused to work in Slack AND Windows. Hmm..

Another thing was that it doesn't appear to install Links(2) or at the very least Lynx. Yeah, it's a crappy little text web browser, but it's handy at times.

And last, is I seem to have to boot into X, login, then logout in order to get to the bare CLI (not just a terminal window in X)

I'm sure there's a way to fix these complaints, so I'll dig around. Hell, I'm sure colby will have the solutions posted before I even find the first one. ;)

Other than those 3 minor complaints, I like it a lot.

***edit***
added 'sarge'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:48 am 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

sure it is not sid instead of sarge. Last I heard they droped sarge for sid. but hopefully colby can explain the ever changing names for there unstable tree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:44 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Jawa78 wrote:
sure it is not sid instead of sarge.

Pretty sure. The ISO's said Sarge.

Jawa78 wrote:
Last I heard they droped sarge for sid. but hopefully colby can explain the ever changing names for there unstable tree.

Really? Hmm.. I guess I'll have to d/l Sid and give it a try then.

Out of curiousity, where'd you hear this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:53 am 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

From irc.freenode.net #debian

I dont know if sid is in iso form yet. I got sid just by using the net install method.

Though since you already have sarge installed you can just update your packages with apt-get and get the updated packages in "sid" But it probably best for colby to straighten me out. she knows more about debian politics and naming conventions than i do.

Post subject: Re: TW Does Debian
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:21 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

TWBalls wrote:
Ok, I installed Debian 'Sarge' on my Tualatin 1.4.
So far, I like it. A lot. This and Slack are my 2 favorite distros so far.

Sarge = the next release version of debian
Sid = unstable, always, and forever

TWBalls wrote:
The only complaints I have thus far is that it automatically boots into the X environment. At first, I didn't have the mouse plugged in because this system doesn't seem to like the mouse on the PS/2 port.
Anyways, it's kind of a pain to get around without a mouse. Oddly enough, the mouse was behaving on the PS/2 port w/ Debian. It refused to work in Slack AND Windows. Hmm..

I think this depends on what packages you install. If you install X and a display manager (GDM, KDM, etc) on install, it's going to start it up by default. :)

TWBalls wrote:
Another thing was that it doesn't appear to install Links(2) or at the very least Lynx. Yeah, it's a crappy little text web browser, but it's handy at times.

I haven't used the new installer so I'm not sure how you "choose" what you install, but there may be a way. Otherwise, I imagine it's on the CD, just not installed with whatever you chose to install. Unless you did a net install, or if you have internet access, then I'd just apt-get install it :) I guess debian is pretty minimal by default, and it tries to do what you tell it to as far as installing packages goes.

TWBalls wrote:
And last, is I seem to have to boot into X, login, then logout in order to get to the bare CLI (not just a terminal window in X)

Well, either you can remove the display manager and that will stop it, or you can remove the display manager from your default runlevel.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:38 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

colby wrote:
I think this depends on what packages you install. If you install X and a display manager (GDM, KDM, etc) on install, it's going to start it up by default. :)

I think that's probably what the problem is. I just picked 'Desktop' instead of individually picking packages. I'll have to try that again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:18 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

TWBalls wrote:
colby wrote:

I think that's probably what the problem is. I just picked 'Desktop' instead of individually picking packages. I'll have to try that again.

Yeah, that would do it. You could probably just remove the link in /etc/rc2.d/ for either kdm, gdm, or xdm, that'll stop it from starting on startup. Not a big deal.

Alternatively you can remove the display manager, too (apt-get remove kdm if kdm is the display manager installed). If you're never going to use it, there's no sense in having it around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:34 pm 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

or better yet..... Actually I am not even going to go there. I promised to be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:13 pm 

to not start x, edit /etc/inittab

and change the line
id:5:initdefault:
to
id:3:initdefault:

That will boot without X automatically starting.

oh yeah, IMO, the first thing you should do with a new debian distro, is apt-get install aptitude, then use aptitude to do everything instead of apt-get, it's got much better dependancy resolution.

and to fix the other problem

aptitude install lynx && aptitude install links2

BTW, Yall are aware Sarge is just about to become stable and Etch will be the new testing. right?

jaz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:50 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

jazzmans wrote:

and change the line
to

oh yeah, IMO, the first thing you should do with a new debian distro, is apt-get install aptitude, then use aptitude to do everything instead of apt-get, it's got much better dependancy resolution.

and to fix the other problem

aptitude install lynx && aptitude install links2

BTW, Yall are aware Sarge is just about to become stable and Etch will be the new testing. right?

jaz

Awesome thanks. I'll try that aptitude and see how that fares. I some of those 'problems' worked out (links) but hadn't tried to disable X autostart. I'll try that tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:10 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Jawa78 wrote:
or better yet..... Actually I am not even going to go there. I promised to be good.

:lol:

:D

Good AND funny. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:47 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

jazzmans wrote:

and change the line
to

Hmm... I looked at that /etc/inittab, but mine said:
Code:
id:2:initdefault:

Should I still change it to
Code:
?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:00 am 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

TWBalls wrote:
jazzmans wrote:

and change the line
to

Hmm... I looked at that /etc/inittab, but mine said:
Code:
id:2:initdefault:

Should I still change it to
Code:
?

Thanks

Debian doesn't lay out runlevels like that, everything really starts at 2. You can do that if that's what you want, but it doesn't by default.

You will need to remove the script from /etc/rc2.d/, or remove the package.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:16 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Ok, I gotta ask...

What the hell are 'super cow powers'?

I did a apt-get --help and it says 'this apt has super cow powers'.

I then did a aptitude --help and it says 'this aptitude does not have super cow powers'

I assume this has something to do with rights/permissions?

Or is this their way of saying that they have a sense of humor? :)

<off topic>
Cripes, I was at work for 8 hours today because one of our core switches was having some problems. It *should* have been a 1-2 hour deal, setting up the vlan's on the backup switch and moving all the cables over.

Then, I had to troubleshoot the wireless system which is a nightmare the way they set it up. Then I had to help radiology with a couple of problems, then I had to help out medical records with a printing problem (still hasn't been resolved, as Perot Systems STILL haven't called me back (well over 4 hours later, and my repeated attempts to get ahold of someone knowledgeable))
I tell ya, when it comes to shit like that, I was better off not calling anyone for help, as that just slowed me down. Bastards.

Ok, I'm done ranting :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:49 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

apt-get moo (or aptitude moo)

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/200 ... 01699.html

8)

PS: your job sounds like typical hospital IT stuff -- I have a couple of hospital customers and they always sound just like you ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:55 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

colby wrote:

Hehe, I kinda thought it was humor based. I remember some of the easter eggs in older versions of Windows. Gllad to see *nix developers also share this humor.
colby wrote:
PS: your job sounds like typical hospital IT stuff -- I have a couple of hospital customers and they always sound just like you ;)

Yeah, they've already called me twice today for problems and I'm not the one on call. Of course being the nice guy I am :roll: , I can't just tell them to page the 'on-call' guy and have them deal with it, I end up fixing it myself. Thankfully these were easy.

Well, I downloaded the trial version of Virtual PC. I'm thinking of trying a few distro's on my faster work laptop. Definitely an interesting program.

***edit***
I also like the forum's 'definitely' filter. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:35 pm 

colby wrote:
TWBalls wrote:
jazzmans wrote:

Thanks

Debian doesn't lay out runlevels like that, everything really starts at 2. You can do that if that's what you want, but it doesn't by default.

You will need to remove the script from /etc/rc2.d/, or remove the package.

My Oreilly book says the same thing, but the variation of debian I'm using Kanotix, it's Knoppix based, is using the higher series runlevels, it's pure sid. weird.

I'm planning on installing sarge as soon as it goes stable on my server,

jaz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:06 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

jazzmans wrote:
My Oreilly book says the same thing, but the variation of debian I'm using Kanotix, it's Knoppix based, is using the higher series runlevels, it's pure sid. weird.

I'm planning on installing sarge as soon as it goes stable on my server,

Interesting, I know Knoppix does behave a little differently than debian, maybe they put in some runlevel stuff so that you could boot without X? I noticed that Knoppix does have "advanced" stuff that lets you boot to runlevel 2, which they say doesn't have X. "Real" debian does behave differently, but I can see why they would put in some runlevel stuff for the bootable CD.

There's already some bug squashing and such going on for sarge, so hopefully it will be officially frozen soon. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:06 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Ok, I've got Debian running nicely and I notice it has Ximian Evolution installed. Cool. Now, I've been trying to install the Exchange Connector, but haven't been successful with that.

Novell's site is all fucked up. I look in the debian section of their FTP server, and it looks like they have the Ximian connector under their 'woody' section, but it's in that .deb format for apt-get. Unfortunately, they forgot that packages.gz file that apt-get requires to work. Thanks Novell.

So, I'm wondering if it's possible to just download that .deb file and somehow intall that locally?

I've been mucking around with shitty Suse at work (another thing Novell messed up.), and while 9.1 loads up fine on that P4 computer, Evolution (apparently) doesn't work on 9.1 (It works w/ 8.2 and 9.0 though).
So, I try 8.2 as I already had the ISO's from a DVD set that Novell sent me. I install that, and the video is screwed up. So, when I get back to work on Monday I'll have that to deal with. Yay.

And... this is why I'm back to trying to see if I can just install it on Debian. I'd MUCH rather use Debian than that bloatware that is Suse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:19 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

TWBalls wrote:
Ok, I've got Debian running nicely and I notice it has Ximian Evolution installed. Cool. Now, I've been trying to install the Exchange Connector, but haven't been successful with that.

apt-get install evolution-exchange

Caveat: this plugin supposedly only works with the 1.5 version of Evolution, and I haven't gotten it to work yet.

TW wrote:
Novell's site is all fucked up. I look in the debian section of their FTP server, and it looks like they have the Ximian connector under their 'woody' section, but it's in that .deb format for apt-get. Unfortunately, they forgot that packages.gz file that apt-get requires to work. Thanks Novell.

So, I'm wondering if it's possible to just download that .deb file and somehow intall that locally?

dpkg -i <packagename>

TW wrote:
I've been mucking around with shitty Suse at work (another thing Novell messed up.), and while 9.1 loads up fine on that P4 computer, Evolution (apparently) doesn't work on 9.1 (It works w/ 8.2 and 9.0 though).

So, I try 8.2 as I already had the ISO's from a DVD set that Novell sent me. I install that, and the video is screwed up. So, when I get back to work on Monday I'll have that to deal with. Yay.

And... this is why I'm back to trying to see if I can just install it on Debian. I'd MUCH rather use Debian than that bloatware that is Suse.

I like SuSE for newbs, when it works ;)