Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:44 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Sweet. I'll give those a shot on Monday.

I'd try it here, but the friggin' VPN solution we have at work requires IE.

Goddamn Tenet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:24 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Sonofa...

Jere at work, I'm trying to install Debian Sarge using a Net-install. For some reason, it doesn't give me the 'Desktop Environment' option anymore.

Is this something they recently disabled? If I boot using the 'full' Sarge disc, and tell it to use the CDROM for the Apt packages, it will give that option. If I select FTP or HTTP it doesn't give me that option. :\

I guess I'll do it the CDROM way, then see if I can update the packages later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:05 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

TWBalls wrote:
Sonofa...

Jere at work, I'm trying to install Debian Sarge using a Net-install. For some reason, it doesn't give me the 'Desktop Environment' option anymore.

Is this something they recently disabled? If I boot using the 'full' Sarge disc, and tell it to use the CDROM for the Apt packages, it will give that option. If I select FTP or HTTP it doesn't give me that option. :\

I guess I'll do it the CDROM way, then see if I can update the packages later.

Weird! I used the sarge RC2 installer netinst CD and it had the desktop environment option.

You can either:

1) Install without desktop environment option, then type the command: tasksel to bring up the task selection dialog and do it later

2) Install with the CD, then afterward do apt-get update; apt-get upgrade to update to the latest packages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:55 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

colby wrote:
Weird! I used the sarge RC2 installer netinst CD and it had the desktop environment option.

You can either:

1) Install without desktop environment option, then type the command: tasksel to bring up the task selection dialog and do it later

2) Install with the CD, then afterward do apt-get update; apt-get upgrade to update to the latest packages.

Yeah, it's got me completely baffled. I just did it the other day at home. And, it worked before on this computer here at work.

I'll try re-downloading the ISO again. Perhaps it's corrupted. :(

***edit***
I was wrong, it's not the 'netinstall' ISO, it's the Businesscard ISO. It's the same one I used before which is why I'm so baffled. Well, I'm downloading the latest 'daily release'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:57 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

TWBalls wrote:
Yeah, it's got me completely baffled. I just did it the other day at home. And, it worked before on this computer here at work.

I'll try re-downloading the ISO again. Perhaps it's corrupted. :(

***edit***
I was wrong, it's not the 'netinstall' ISO, it's the Businesscard ISO. It's the same one I used before which is why I'm so baffled. Well, I'm downloading the latest 'daily release'.

Maybe they yanked some of the stuff from the business card in case you want to install a base system off of the CD without connecting to the network? That's the only reason I can see. It might have some of the components for X, but probably not all of KDE and Gnome.

I would use the netinst CD if you're going to install only from the network :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:53 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

colby wrote:
I would use the netinst CD if you're going to install only from the network :)

Well it's finally Tuesday. I gave the Netinstall CD a try and it worked. I still find it odd that the business CD worked fine for me at home, as well as here at work (at one time).

Oh well, at least I got this computer up and running.

Now, to see if I can stick with this as my primary desktop. :)

Post subject: Migrating to Linux
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:33 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Ok, I'm ever so slowly trying to wean myself off of Windows. Not permanently, as I still need it for work purposes....

Now, for the moment here at work I've got a WinXP box as my main PC. I've got both IE6 and Firefox for Internet Browsers and Outlook 2003 and Thunderbird for EMail clients. I just now got Thunderbird up and running, so if I'll likely be removing MS Office 2003.

Now, here's the part that's the bitch. Tenet, in their infinite wisdom, has set up their pages/web based software to use IE 5.5 or higher.

example Visit this link in both IE and Firefox.
With IE, I get a logon page. With Firefox, I get a 'Sorry, you gotta have IE' type of page.
Is there any way to get firefox to somehow fool the site into thinking it's IE?
At the moment, this and a couple of other small things is what's keeping me from going to Linux.

Well, I'm off to install Open Office and play with Thunderbird.

Thanks.

***edit***
Ok, Thunderbird seems to be pretty nice. My only problem now is:
1.) Does this have a 'Task list' like Outlook? We use it all the time here.
2.) How do I get it to see the Global Address book? I can connect to our exchange server via Pop3, but can't seem to access the Global Address list.

Also, I noticed Mozilla... Is the Email client that's bundled with that just thunderbird? I'm debating on if I want to try that or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:35 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Wow, I got Ubuntu Linux installed on a spare Athlon 1.33Ghz system. I got Evolution to work with our exchange server. I like it. It's similar to Outlook 2003 in the layout.
With Evolution, I get the Task list now. I'll have to check to see if our Global Address book comes up.

Now, If I can just figure out how to get Firefox to fool our software into thinking it's IE, I should be set. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:38 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

colby wrote:
Evolution

This seems to be the only way to bump to people so...

Anyways, you got any ideas on any of my above questions? :)

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:25 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

I know Opera has a spoofing mode. You might check the Firefox extension list and see if there's an extension that lets you do something similar.

Of course, if your work website uses ActiveX controls, it's just not going to work with Firefox. Ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:59 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

WillSmith wrote:
I know Opera has a spoofing mode. You might check the Firefox extension list and see if there's an extension that lets you do something similar.
Cool, I'll look into those.

WillSmith wrote:
Of course, if your work website uses ActiveX controls, it's just not going to work with Firefox. Ever.

Ouch. Hopefully that's not the case.