Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Someone please clairify "rooting" (for Android OS)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:01 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

So I got this inexpensive tablet the other day to use for watching videos and whatever while traveling, so it's not very high end (It's one of those Envizen 7" dual core tablets, so it's not all that great, but for the price, it was a good choice).

Anyway, I installed AVG on it, and it says its "rooted." Now, can someone please clarify what rooted is? Is this like running Windows with an Admin account, or is it something else? I'm familiar with the "root" account in LInux/Unix systems, so am I at least partially correct that I'm running as a root user on the tablet?

If so, how can I "unroot" the tablet, or should I even worry about it. Like I said, I'm just watching videos and surfing the web, so the tablet doesn't have any personal information, passwords, documents or anything of great worth on it (or anything that's confidential). But I'm also concerned about security in general.

Should i be concerned and if so, how can I address this (other than taking it back, because I don't really care to spend more on a tablet thats just going to be for entertainment purposes).

Post subject: Re: Someone please clairify "rooting" (for Android OS)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:04 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Root user for Android would be the same for a Linux variant. You are giving yourself or applications full permissions. If you can find the stock ROM, you can reflash it.

Personally, due to your habits I would just leave it as it.

Post subject: Re: Someone please clairify "rooting" (for Android OS)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:58 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

OK, that's what I figured it was/meant, but wanted to be sure.

I purchased a cheap tablet just for streaming Internet videos on my bedroom TV (such as Netflix and Hulu Plus, so no personal or confidential data is kept on it), but when I installed AVG on it, it says it was "rooted" (as a warning).

Is there a way to "unroot" a tablet?

I can't get the original image because this is the image it came with from the store (it was a new tablet, new in the box). It's one of the off-branded tablets that are pretty cheap. It was the cheapest I could find with an HDMI (normally I wouldn't buy cheap and would get a name-branded unit, but seeing that the cheapest name-brand tablet with an HDMI output was over $250, that was a bit more than I wanted to pay simply for streaming video--plus I wanted the portability as well or I would have just gotten a blu-ray player instead).

FYI: The tablet's brand is Envizen (I purchased it at TigerDirect).