Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: nVidia Circus (UBUNTU 12.10)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:14 am 

I love TF2. I play it a lot.

That being said, I was not overjoyed Valve released the Steam client for Linux..... except for the fact that they were also distributing a new in-game item for users who used the new client. The last time this happened was with the MAC OSX, and the misc item they distributed during the promo period is now one of the most valuable items used as trading currency. You can see my motivation for trying it out!

That being said, I decided to give it a try. I went into Windows and shrunk my OS partition down by 72k MB but did not format it. As I already had three partitions (diagnostic, OEM RE, and OS), Ubuntu used the unpartitioned space to create a logical partition and set itself up in that location with a logical swap file and a logical OS drive.

So I install everything and update it (only to find out that 13.10 was released this weekend >:U). When I finally get the files downloaded and installed for TF2 I reboot and start the game up. It loads fine, but gameplay is horrible. According to research, the Nouveau driver does not support 3D acceleration. So I go to nVidia and DL the linux driver and try to install it. Now, I'm taking classes for Linux but I am still a novice. I've only used Linux for diagnostic functions using a liveboot solution. I have never had it installed on a daily-use system before. So it is understandable that I wound up messing up the system and having to reinstall.

When I initially tried to do a manual install, it said could not install in X mode. I figured out what it was and took the appropriate steps to attempt a correct installation. When the install began, it screwed up the Unity interface and I could not get it back. I guessed that it was a problem with the nVidia driver and uninstalled it and attempted to use the update from repository function. This did not even come close to working. In fact, it removed all of my graphics configurations and and the original nVidia installer I used blacklisted the default driver! I was stuck in 640x480 mode!

Long story short chart:

A. Installed Ubuntu, installed Steam & TF2
B. Gameplay sucked, attempted to install driver from nVidia.
C. Driver install failed due to XMode. Disabled and re-attempted installation, reenabled X before reboot.
D. Install partly successful. Breaks Unity, blacklists Nouveau
E. Installed nVidia driver using sudo apt-get nvidia-current
F. System boots into 640x480. Cannot revert, cannot reinstall Nouveau
H. Screw it. I just reinstalled Ubuntu.

Can someone help me out so I can update my nVidia driver without having to screw over my system and reinstall from scratch?

Post subject: Re: nVidia Circus (UBUNTU 12.10)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:42 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

You need to install the headers before working with nvidia's binary

sudo apt-get install linux-headers* should get you back on the right path after reinstalling the OS.

Nouveau should handle 3D too...but you may also need the Mesa Utilities installed also so things get shown correctly...

sudo apt-get mesa-utils