Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Would you subscribe to Maximum Linux or subscribe again?
Yes 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
No 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
maybe 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject: just want to know
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:36 am 

I subscribed to MaximumLinux long before i subscribed to maximumPC . is ther any chance that a Linux section to the magazine will be added or will Maximum Linux be making a return. Perhaps Big Blue would like to put up some of that $1billion in linux devel/promo towards a good end user friendly magazine. If you have ever tried to read man/howto one is usually left more confused than before. Maximum Linux used offer extremely clear and easy to understand instructions and examples. I found it very helpful. I was so disappointed when they quit arriving every month. Please let me know if there are any plans to start offering more Linux articles or even a revived magazine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:57 pm 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

Boot what later turned into maxium pc use to have a linux section. I would resub to max pc if they added a linux section. Though I would sub to max linux if they brought back that mag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:24 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

No .. for the same reasons I don't subscribe to MPC. I can find current information online, and can research whatever I need to know much more quickly and more thoroughly than any magazine.

This is absolutely not a criticism of MPC ... it is a function of the lead time necessary for a print magazine, and of the necessity of writing articles for the mainstream.

Boot taught me to tinker with my PC .. they'll always have my respect for that.

Post subject: Re: just want to know
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:45 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

limbeaux wrote:
I subscribed to MaximumLinux long before i subscribed to maximumPC . is ther any chance that a Linux section to the magazine will be added or will Maximum Linux be making a return. Perhaps Big Blue would like to put up some of that $1billion in linux devel/promo towards a good end user friendly magazine. If you have ever tried to read man/howto one is usually left more confused than before. Maximum Linux used offer extremely clear and easy to understand instructions and examples. I found it very helpful. I was so disappointed when they quit arriving every month. Please let me know if there are any plans to start offering more Linux articles or even a revived magazine.

If the articles are basic, then I have to say, no. If the articles were, say, advanced shell scripting in tcsh, bash, cshell, zshell, etc. I just might. I think that Linux has grown to the point that you can pretty much go anywhere and find help.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:05 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

DJSPIN80 wrote:
I think that Linux has grown to the point that you can pretty much go anywhere and find help.

No more so than PC hardware ... and there are dozens of magazines on the subject. :)

Some people enjoy print magazines ... I do, for subjects that aren't time dependent. I read climbing magazines, and programming magazines ... but magazines about PC hardware or linux are useless to me because both markets change too quickly for a print mag to keep up (for my taste).

It is odd, because I *need* to know about the bleeding edge of hardware *now* ... even though I always buy two or three generations behind the curve because I budget very little of my money for my PC. So .. the information is pretty much useless to me.

And yet .. I have to know.

/babbling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:24 am 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

I voted "maybe". Generally, I find linux magazines too fluffy for my tastes, and when they do have interesting material, it's often in one of their "gimmick" articles (like Linux Journal and the French guy). Sometimes there are interesting subjects, though, and they make good bathroom reading, I guess.

Maximum Linux was too small for me to pay that much for enough issues to really get interested, and there is really no point to having a CD. Maybe with a cheap no-CD subscription, like MaxPC, I would subscribe.

Post subject: understandable
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:38 am 

I would like to see/find a linux magazine that does handle issues like how to install apps, how to burn a cd, how to set up your network stack, the things that most new users don't know how to do. there are many things that I can do in linux and then there is still many things I can't. Most of the times the how-to and man pages don't come with examples only post syntax that if you are unfamiliar with what exactly the app, not you, are trying to do. EG: you want to upgrade your file system from ext2 to ext3 or reiser, you would then have to know how to recompile your kernel. Things like that where as when you look at how to recompile your kernel, it may say nothing about changing your file system. Also, a magazine that wuold have a section showing "this is what you do in windows", now here is how you do it in linux written in newbie language. Most of the linux mags I find are for Admins and have shell scripting (awk, gawk, perl or sed usually) how-to or are pushing enterprise class applications. Maximum linux used to apply to the novice - intermediate user. every month I would learn something new that in somehow would relate to other issues. I was mostly wondering if I there are other people out there who could benefit from this as well.

if my msg is incongruent, i am sorry, i am working and writing this at the same time :?

Post subject: Maximum Linux
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:59 pm 

I for one, would like to see Maximum Linux return. As a casual Linux user I really enjoyed it.
It doesn't look like Future is interested in reviving it however.
Some good news to those who would like a similar magazine. There is a new mag. comming out called Tux magazine. It appears to have a similar format to Maximum Linux.
You can find out more details at http://www.tuxmagazine.com

Post subject: Re: Maximum Linux
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:04 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

CompleteIdiot wrote:
I for one, would like to see Maximum Linux return. As a casual Linux user I really enjoyed it.
It doesn't look like Future is interested in reviving it however.
Some good news to those who would like a similar magazine. There is a new mag. comming out called Tux magazine. It appears to have a similar format to Maximum Linux.
You can find out more details at http://www.tuxmagazine.com

Whao Billy! Don't be a complete idiot. It's not wise to revive old threads that are dead for over a month old. The gods prefer that you start a new thread (for some reason) if you have new content to provide.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:43 pm 
There is no cause for alarm... yet
There is no cause for alarm... yet

limbeaux wrote:
is ther any chance that a Linux section to the magazine will be added or will Maximum Linux be making a return?

It would work to have a Linux section if the gaming/hardware support were on par with Windows. I don't know if it's happened, but it'd be cool to see a feature using Wine/etc [I keep thinking Crossover for some reason] to play various games. Even make it an annual thing to gauge improvement.

I don't know how FutureMedia is doing now, but a lot of their titles were dropped - DigitalFoto I was sad to hear had to go, along with MaxLinux.