Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Who knows about VNC ?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:14 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

I can connect to the server (CentOS 6) with VNC and get a session but when I log out the session does not drop and I have to use ssh to kill the process and delete the .lock file before I get a new VNC session.

I don't know VNC all that well but the documentation seemed pretty straight forward. I am not getting any crazy messages in /var/log/messages about VNC; any thoughts?

The server is a new install with huge amounts of processing power and memory (HP DL580 G7) so that is not the issue. I feel like I forgot something in either the VNC config or the desktop session configuration.

Post subject: Re: Who knows about VNC ?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:59 am 

I don't think VNCs are supposed to log a user out. Unless you give a logout command while in VNC. In other words, VNC just transmits image/mouse/keybord to/from a computer. It's not responsible for any of the user management. (Although I'm not 100% sure, but that's what seems to me)

RDP, on the other hand will log you in and out of the remote machine. You might want to consider that, but RDP in proprietary Microsoft protocol. They use it in Windows all the time.

Post subject: Re: Who knows about VNC ?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:31 pm 

Hexorg wrote:
I don't think VNCs are supposed to log a user out. Unless you give a logout command while in VNC. In other words, VNC just transmits image/mouse/keybord to/from a computer. It's not responsible for any of the user management. (Although I'm not 100% sure, but that's what seems to me)

RDP, on the other hand will log you in and out of the remote machine. You might want to consider that, but RDP in proprietary Microsoft protocol. They use it in Windows all the time.

I also think so.