Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: WUBI potential
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:32 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hey all, I'm new to this section of the forum but not to linux, been testing it off an on for almost 12 years. But I have decided to try Ubuntu 10.04, the newest release of Ubuntu and would like to use it on an old laptop(2006). I've mentioned it on this forum before but not in this section.
anyway here it goes,

The system has Windows XP and don't want to partition it or remove it in any way since this is just a test of the new OS. So Wubi is the best option next to a Virtual OS install. But here are the questions,

Does Ubuntu do wireless? Cause that is a must! this has a dell wireless 1370 Mini WLan Built in wireless card.

Will it run on a Intel Pentium M 1.73GHZ with 2GB ram and a Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family for graphics and chipset, it has 128mb shared graphics memory so desktop effects might be out.

Also do you need to burn the iso to a disc if it does a pre-install for wubi, or what?
All help is much appreciated! oh yea and the laptop is a Dell Inspiron B130 if i didn't mention it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:57 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Wubi is a separate install by itself

http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php

Ubuntu should run fine on that machine. You'll probably want to find out more about your wireless card though to see if there's a native driver, or if you're need to use something like ndiswrapper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:34 am 
Klamath
Klamath

furball146 wrote:
Wubi is a separate install by itself

http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php

Ubuntu should run fine on that machine. You'll probably want to find out more about your wireless card though to see if there's a native driver, or if you're need to use something like ndiswrapper.

Thanks,

Lol, I had installed it last night and the machine runs it just fine, faster then windows but the wireless card does not work. but in a sense i think it does. because it knows that there is a wireless card but i can't connect to the internet with it. currently on windows right now. any ideas on how to get it working. I'm not that smart when it comes to linux and command line stuff, but if you guide me. thanks

as a note: the system boots faster then i would have thought, to ubuntu. also desktop effects work perfect with it. just need to get the internet up and going.