Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: **buntu
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:27 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I tried installing **buntu again (last time I play with it was 2 years ago) just to see if I will ever like it...

Up to this date, I still don't like it. The biggest turnoff is the no codec support; noobs or people who are in a hurry just don't want to bother going to command shell and do apt-get stuffs.

What I think is better for noob or people who are in a hurry would be better off with LINUX MINT (at least they have a clickable icon that will download and install all those codecs). Plus, it got COMMAND CENTER just like Mandriva.

I've been a mandriva user for 2 years and totaly love the COMMAND CONTROL (I think its a MUST-HAVE) and I have no complain except lately its been running slow. I bet if i do fresh-install again, it will speed up (logically true for windows system also). Or do you guys know of any hack I can do to speed it up ? (slow boot time + browsers loading page really slow). For some reason, Opera / Firefox / Chrome has been crashing ! Maybe my linux box is being hacked ? how would I know if I'm being hacked ?

I might attempt to install the latest mandriva beta build (featuring Gnome 2.30), or, I might just install the hottest "talk of town" .. SLITAZ 3.0 ! I read its blazingly fast !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:09 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Ubuntu has the Synaptic Package Manager ... a GUI based software installation tool ... so there is no need to use the command line.

Since Mint is Ubuntu with the Mint tools added, I can't really agree with you. There is very little difference other than the additional hand-holding that Mint provides and, personally, I don't think that learning how your OS works is a bad thing.

To each their own, though. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:52 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

IMO, most noobs who are serious about things, typically ask questions, or at least break out their google stick so they understand what they're doing.

People who are in a hurry...should probably stick with their IPhones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:30 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

hey Jip :)

Yea i totally 4got bout synaptic package manager ! and I used that alot 4 years ago when I was using blagblagblag.org distro, do u remember blag ? it was such a tight community :) but then peeps started leaving due to inactivities.

Furball :)

ahahha your comment about using iphone was way too funny !!!

Yea I have just finished installing mandriva2010.1 spring edition (beta) featuring Gnome 2.30 ! it is so much faster ! And the only reason why i wiped-clean my Mandriva2010.0 fall release was because the boot-time had became slow and firefox / chrome / opera seems to load webpages really slow. I prolly got hacked huh ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:46 pm 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

even easier than synaptic is the software center which organizes apps by category. really simple to find and install apps