Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: help installing vVidia drivers on Debian system, WS left out
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:09 pm 

Following Will Smith's guide on getting a Linux box up and running, when I came to the part about installing nVidia drivers (most anticipated part), I realized there's some info missing (maybe I'm an idiot - I am a newb). After running apt-get for the headers and source packages which now reside in my /usr/src/ folder, I don't know what to do with them. The headers are in there respective folders and the source is zipped. When I run nv installer it says I need to provide the path for the files. Do I need to unzip the source? Do I have to provide the specific paths for each header package - that would be challenging. Or do I just type --kernel-source-/usr/src/. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I currently have Linux up and running using the standard nv driver that came compiled in the kernel. It's the stable Debian distro v3.0 r4 (2.4.18-bf2.4 Woody). Everything is working real nice so far. Thanks for any input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:21 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

Yeah, you'll need to unpack the source, which dropped that .bz2 file in /usr/src. Changing to that directory and running the command tar xjf followed by the filename should unpack it right into that directory, or I imagine with a graphical tool it should be able to do it for you if you browse to that directory, too.

Once you unpack that, specify that directory as your src dir on the command line to build the nvidia drivers.