Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: newer european distros (toorox and blackpantherOS)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:27 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you have tried either TOOROX or BlackPantherOS.

1) Toorox (germany) : http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=toorox

Gentoo-based live DVD which boots into a KDE desktop using KNOPPIX hardware auto-detection and auto-configuration technologies

2) BlackPantherOS (hungary) : http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distri ... ackpanther

Borrows features from Mandriva Linux (graphical configuration tools), Fedora (graphical user interface) and Ubuntu (driver management).

I have tried Toorox. It looks very nice but I'm new to Gentoo stuffs, like EMERGE to download stuffs. I'm more comfortable with Mandriva. So if anyone could provide the advantages / disadvantages of GENTOO stuffs, as compared to Debian and such, please do so :)

I have yet to try BlackPanther which looks much more promising especially it combined Mandriva + fedora + Ubuntu !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:40 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

There's really not much difference when you get down the end result.

Portage is going to obviously be slower since you're dealing with source, but you also have more control of things, as an example, using flags to compile to a specific architecture or what dependencies will be installed.

The biggest pains of portage IMO, mask and umask items and how incredibly easy it is to shoot yourself in the foot and break things because you just went off and updated the world or something :) I know I've hosed gentoo a couple of times when I used it and trust me, it's easy to do...but hey, you learn from mistakes right?

I don't want to say that rpm and deb is any better, but it is quicker and typically "always works" as they're a little more static then what portage would be.

As far as usage, just think of emerge like yum or apt-get. Gentoo, does have a pretty good documentation system, so you should be able to find most of your answer there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:37 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

dang-nabit.. i gave up on both Toorox and BlackPantherOS .. not enough english language support.

I'm a long-time Mandriva user (about 14 months) but wanting to try out some other distros thats not for beginner-level.

Somehow tonight I downloaded LinuxMint8 64bit KDE and OMG..... I'm in love !! The bootup time is a mere 18 seconds and everything including package download.. just works without any complications !