Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Linux on old 1999 pc; no usb drivers either
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:25 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Hi, I got this old Compaq Presario running Windows 98. I wanted to use it to program microcontrollers or practice C++ on it. I thought I could do the above things until I realized that (a) it has no usb drivers, (b) the CD drive is picky i.e. has trouble reading some disks, and (c) no NIC card.

Due to (b) and (c), I can't get install my DSL router usb drivers from CD and get online. Due to (a) and (b), I can't get the files I want on it.

I will post specs later, as i'm in school right now. Basically, is there a linux I can install that will have USB drivers? I saw this list on ubuntu forums for OS for very old computers but not sure which to choose:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575456

It only has 4 GB HDD so I'm looking for something small. It also has a floppy drive so that's another option for installation.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:32 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Damn Small Linux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:36 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I thought about that, puppy linux, etc. My question is whether I could use the USB mass storage after I install it? Does it have drivers included? That's my primary problem. If I make a LiveCD, will I be able to use the usb mass storage then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:48 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

phillyj wrote:
I thought about that, puppy linux, etc. My question is whether I could use the USB mass storage after I install it? Does it have drivers included? That's my primary problem. If I make a LiveCD, will I be able to use the usb mass storage then?

Yes, I had an old Presario 5100 back in the day that ran Linux just fine. Everything in the computer worked, including everything that I tried plugging into the USB ports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:32 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I still don't feel fully clarified on this. This Windows 98 pc won't read my usb drive so instead of just getting a driver, I thought about installing a new Linux OS. Will this give me the USB drivers I need.

I'm not even sure if the CD drive reads CD-R so I'm looking for the smallest option.

My computer skills are in the low intermediate so I don't know much about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:22 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

phillyj wrote:
I still don't feel fully clarified on this. This Windows 98 pc won't read my usb drive so instead of just getting a driver, I thought about installing a new Linux OS. Will this give me the USB drivers I need.

There's not really a driver per se, but the functionality is built into the kernel, and it's a pretty rare circumstance that you'd need to build a module to get a USB root rub working.

Typically flash drives and external HDs will automount when they're plugged in.

from what you said in your first post though, you'll want to see if you're DSL adapter is supported in linux though (if you're planning on hooking that up via USB)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:29 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

oh yea and i think the usb will be usb 1.0 not usb2.0 because its from 1999. Maybe u can update bios ?