Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: anything like winxp's firewall for win2k?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:04 am 

Does anyone know of a basic firewall program for Windows 2000 Pro that's as unobtrusive as the one Microsoft built into Windows XP? I have a computer that sits on the floor in the corner that works as a router to my home network. It doesn't have a keyboard, mouse, or monitor hooked up to it. I do things on it through VNC. At the moment, it doesn't have a firewall program on it, and that makes me a little nervous. Since its not a computer anyone sits at, I don't want to use a program that needs input from the user like ZoneAlarm. I want something that gives me basic protection without needing anything from the user. Does such a program exist? I tried using Zone Alarm but turning off the program monitor and a few other things, and it refused to work for long before it would block all local network activity and i'd have to connect a monitor and keyboard to it so I could deal with some pop up message from ZoneAlarm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:18 am 
Notched on both sides
Notched on both sides

Heya,
There are several out there - although I can't promise that they will be as unobtrusive as XP-SP2 version...

The problem you are having with Zone Alarm is because its not just a Firewall program. Its actually something like 5 different security apps, including App blockers etc... Thats where you tend to run into the issues with needing to constantly answer its questions...

For a nice, free little firewall tool - that should be fairly unobtrusive... I'd look at Kerio Personal Firewall
If you want to read some more about it before downloading it - here is the manual...

Other than that - check out the Internet Truckstop forum as I'm pretty sure there was a recent discussion about Firewall apps...

Hope this helps,
Tuathal