Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: winxp repair
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:43 am 
Folding Master (Top-ranked)

Is there some way to make windows xp install over itself? Repair from the console does not work. (fixboot) Chkdsk does not find anything wrong with the hard drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:28 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

running the install CD while in windoze...and choose the "upgrade" option?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:21 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Just follow the prompts on the screen.

Essentially you just don't want to use an existing install.

Yes it will take you to do the partition and format screen...no you don't have to partition and format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:18 pm 

drainbread wrote:
running the install CD while in windoze...and choose the "upgrade" option?

If I could get into windows I wouldn't be asking this question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:21 pm 

furball146 wrote:
Just follow the prompts on the screen.

Essentially you just don't want to use an existing install.

Yes it will take you to do the partition and format screen...no you don't have to partition and format.

I think it is supposed to give me an option to repair after I select install but I am not getting it. I thought it might be my sp2 slipstreamed disk but it does the same thing with the original disk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:34 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

There's no option for a repair after your select install on that first screen.

There are options to use an existing install or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:22 pm 

furball146 wrote:
There's no option for a repair after your select install on that first screen.

There are options to use an existing install or not.

No I have only had this work for me once. I have tried it on several different computers. So I know the option should be there. I thought maybe there was a way to force it. I gave up and am reinstalling windows.

Post subject: Re: winxp repair
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:48 pm 

Phred15 wrote:
Is there some way to make windows xp install over itself? Repair from the console does not work. (fixboot) Chkdsk does not find anything wrong with the hard drive.

Here's a step-by-step drill for a repair install of XP. It's a walk in the park! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:55 am 

Here's a step-by-step drill for a repair install of XP. It's a walk in the park!

There was no repair optiion. None

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:25 am 

Phred15 wrote:
Here's a step-by-step drill for a repair install of XP. It's a walk in the park!

There was no repair option. None

Here's an excerpt from the link I posted:

"Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, read this Warning#2!
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact."

Sure looks like instructions to perform a repair install to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:44 am 

Tecumseh wrote:
Phred15 wrote:

"Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, read this Warning#2!
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact."

Sounds like a great plan. To bad it doesn't work. All files are on the hard drive but no longer registered..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:37 am 

Phred15 wrote:
Tecumseh wrote:
Phred15 wrote:

Sounds like a great plan. To bad it doesn't work. All files are on the hard drive but no longer registered..

If your system is messed up to the extent that Windows won't do a repair install, your only option is a reformat and clean install. If you don't have back-ups all your current data will be toast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:45 am 

If it's not giving the repair option, it doesn't see the files as an existing install. Repair is no longer an option, you have to reinstall.

However, contrary to the previous post, there's no reason to reformat - you can do a clean install without reformatting. Your files will be intact, but your software will need to be reinstalled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:05 am 

Aahzz wrote:
If it's not giving the repair option, it doesn't see the files as an existing install. Repair is no longer an option, you have to reinstall.

However, contrary to the previous post, there's no reason to reformat - you can do a clean install without reformatting. Your files will be intact, but your software will need to be reinstalled.

Wrong!! Yes, you may do a clean install without reformatting if you so choose. But, a clean install leaves you with nothing but a clean OS ... no files, no personal data, no Windows Updates, no programs, .etc. That's why it is called a clean install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:41 pm 

Tecumseh wrote:
Wrong!! Yes, you may do a clean install without reformatting if you so choose. But, a clean install leaves you with nothing but a clean OS ... no files, no personal data, no Windows Updates, no programs, .etc. That's why it is called a clean install.

OK, so it's a fresh install, not particularly clean, if you wish to argue semantics. If you don't reformat, all of your files with the exception of Windows files are still present. Hell, the software's even present, just not usable 'cause Windows doesn't know it's there. Trust me, I've done it plenty of times. All an install replaces if installed without formatting is the Windows directory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:10 pm 

Aahzz wrote:
Tecumseh wrote:

OK, so it's a fresh install, not particularly clean, if you wish to argue semantics. If you don't reformat, all of your files with the exception of Windows files are still present. Hell, the software's even present, just not usable 'cause Windows doesn't know it's there. Trust me, I've done it plenty of times. All an install replaces if installed without formatting is the Windows directory.

I recommend you read through this article by an expert: Performing a Clean Intstall of Windows XP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:35 pm 
Notched on both sides
Notched on both sides

LOL
You are both right...

Thats not a bad FAQ cause it accurately covers all 3 options...

Upgrade in Place (technically a repair of your current OS) goes into the same folder as before and keeps all of your existing settings and apps.

For an installation to be considered CLEAN - a format is required. Period. If you don't format the drive - the install ain't a clean one.

A Fresh installation (which is pointed to another folder than WINDOWS - say WINNT for nostalgia) will allow you to still access DATA files on the drive..

When you finish setup of the "Fresh Install" Don't setup the SAME user name.
I repeat if your username was BOB before - make it NEAL this time...

That way you can then go to C:\Documents and Settings\
and inside will be a BOB folder with My Documents, Local Settings (Outlook.pst), etc...

If when you do the fresh install you choose the name BOB again - it WILL, I repeat it WILL overwrite the BOB folder on Documents and Settings...

Now - My suggestion is when the first option (Upgrade in place) doesn't work - then do the Fresh install - backup data - THEN do the Clean install -

Tuathal
Cheers,
Tuathal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:00 pm 

Thanks, tuathal ...

I wasn't aware of that esoteric difference between a clean install and a fresh install. I believe many folks use the terms interchangeably. One of the good things about computing is that there is always something new to learn just around the corner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:12 am 
Notched on both sides
Notched on both sides

Indeed - your article btw is great I actually read through the whole thing after perusing it first before posting -

hehe I figure if I can learn something new every day than hopefully at one point I can replace crap like the band-aid jingle with useful computer repair info :)
Tuathal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:47 am 

Tuathal - thanks for pointing out the user name change - I did forget to mention that part.

I also definitely agree that a clean install is called for after backing up any necessary data.