Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Great Firefox Tip
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:48 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Many of you remember a few issues ago that with TweakUI for IE, you can type something in the address bar like "ebay gap jeans" and it will take me to ebay with all the gap jeans for sale. It works with anything that has a search engine in it. . . google, ask, overstock, etc. It's called prefix searching. And now I discovered firefox/mozilla has it built in! They call it "custom keywords." Here's an exert from http://www.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/keywords.html on how to use it:

============================================
To set a keyword you must first create a bookmark for the URL. Then you add the keyword to the bookmark. Open the Bookmark Manager (Ctrl+B), choose your bookmark, and then open the Bookmark Properties window (Ctrl+I, or from the context menu). In the window simply add a short string to the Keyword field. Now close that dialog and you can type the keyword in the Location Bar, hit enter, and Mozilla will load that URL.

But that's just the beginning. Custom keywords can be used to create shortcuts for your favorite search engines too (the 'this ROCKS!' part). Here's how it works.

I'll use Bugzilla Bug Report lookup as an example.

- Bookmark http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=%s , where the %s will be replaced by the bug number (query string)
-Give the bookmark the keyword bug
-Now typing bug 12345 in the addressbar will load that bug.
===========================================
I hope this helps you firefox users. If you don't have firefox yet, what are you waiting for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:42 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

wow, good one edm. i just did it for maximumpc and it worked big time. i have maximumpc on my bookmarks and in the keyword section i typed in "mpc" without the "" and it worked. now i go to the url and just type in mpc and it takes me to the maximumpc website. good one!!!!! here is a corona for you........