Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows Registry
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:14 am 

This is a technical questions about the windows XP registry. I have my thoughts of understanding but am seeking confirmation and any extra information that I can get pertaining to my conclusions.

I was trying to pull up the registry of secondary drive that has Win XP on it and thought that I could just open one file and view all registry entries but it seems that this is not possible. It seems that windows has multiple registry files that are "called up" when you would normally open regedit. The two registry files that it would open are ntuser.dat and system.dat. The ntuser.dat (c:/documents and setting/*specific user*) is the registry for each individual user in and the programs that they install on their account. The system.dat (c:/windows/system32/config) is the registry for the "root" of the computer. Also, if a program is installed under admin for use by all users it seems that it is installed under each individuals registry file instead of under the systems registry.

First wondering if my thoughts are correct, second if I explained it correctly, and third is the a utility that will view the whole registry tree (users and system) instead of opening individual registrys? Thanks and look forward to any and all responses!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:06 pm 
Notched on both sides
Notched on both sides

You are totally thinking correctly on all of your talking points...

However - while I have seen about 3 different programs that claim to work, I usually find that the SID information has been hosed in some way after using them... So I don't know of any "working" programs that let ya do it.

I will however keep my ear to the preverbial grind stone and see what I come up with... I've also pinged a buddy at MS to see if he has anything or knows of anything.

Cheers,
Tuathal
--------------
Are you Folding for a cure? Why not? Its easy, free, and doesn't hurt anyone - in fact it can only help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:04 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I'm in the process of tweaking the registry, but still wanna keep windows stable...I have tweaked menu show delay...boot...and window pop up delay...am I still in good shape???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:09 am 
Notched on both sides
Notched on both sides

Ya,
You really should be - but my suggestion would be this -

When tweaking the registry - I always backup the key i'm about to tweak
(By choosing Export on the File Menu).
Then make 1 change.. and test... Maybe I'll make up to 3 if they are all in the exact same location - but otherwise - I'd rather take more time to tweak than tweak 30 things and have NO idea what broke what....

Tuathal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:11 am 

Tauthal, you mentioned that you; "I've also pinged a buddy at MS to see if he has anything or knows of anything. "

Just wondering if you had heard anything back or know anything new?

Thanks for your help.