Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: weird Internet Explorer problem
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:37 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I've got this friend whoes computer is doing some weird things her computer is an emachine running XP home. Here are the problems

She wanted her homepage set to pogo.com so I went to pogo's home page and under tools internet options homepage selected use current all is well right? wrong I went to another web site then clicked on the house on the tool bar to open up her home page it didn't go back to pogos home page it instead went to this web page about.blank it was something to do with doing a search for internet explorer.

wanna hear something else that's weird? when she tries to go to her banks web page it opens the web page for the bank but then quickly opens back up to that about.blank page what's up with that? it also pops up with this with warnings that the computer is infected with spyware and then proceeds to go to a site to purchase software to remove spyware. Can anyone help in these matters I have never seen these thing happen before. I was thinking about removing internet explorer then downloading explore would this work in fixing the problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:21 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Read this post and follow the instructions. It should fix your problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:10 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Thanks I'll give that a shot does it have to be Ad-Aware SE? I've got Ad-Aware 6 from one of Max PC's cd's will that work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:38 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

exploringspace wrote:
Thanks I'll give that a shot does it have to be Ad-Aware SE? I've got Ad-Aware 6 from one of Max PC's cd's will that work?

I would go ahead and update Ad-Aware. The old version may miss some things the new one picks up.

To help prevent your browser being hijacked, I would also suggest installing SpywareBlaster and/or SpyBot S&D. Both have features that will prevent your browser page from being hijacked

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:14 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Thanks I'll do that I'll let you know if there are anymore issues with this PC. I haven't had a chance to make it over to her house to try what you suggested hopefully this weekend. If she would just keep her grandson off it everything would be great he downloads alot of crap.