Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mapping Default Printer in AD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:24 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I'd like to know how, preferably using Group Policy, how to install default printers but to map them to a particular location, depending on where they log-in. If they're in that room, I'd like to automatically map the printer in that room as their default.

Post subject: Re: Mapping Default Printer in AD
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:12 pm 
Notched on both sides
Notched on both sides

Wolfmann wrote:
I'd like to know how, preferably using Group Policy, how to install default printers but to map them to a particular location, depending on where they log-in. If they're in that room, I'd like to automatically map the printer in that room as their default.

Hey Wolfmann,

Depending on how this will work out - there are two possible answers.

If they are logging onto stationary computers... Just use a Group Policy that propogates the printers to the current user's profile when they log on - ofcourse you could do the same thing with the Default User's profile.

If they are bringing in their machines to that room and logging on then the issue becomes (understandably) much more complex...

I'll try to look back through my AD books and try and find it, but I can tell you that it is possible. You have to control it using Subnets and/or IP addresses as I recall.
When I worked at MS we had that setup in classrooms so that when I brought my laptop in to teach a class (regardless of the site) it propogated the proper printers to me from AD when it saw where I was at. Since my computer and user account existed in different OUs, the Group Policy was applied to OUs based on physical location and that (as I remember) was controlled through the use of either IP range or Subnet (and I think it was based on the subnet).

Like I said - I'll look back through my AD books in my spare time and try to find it - but I thought I'd post that much now in case that helps you along a path to finding a solution as chances are you'll have more time to dedicate to the issue than I 8)

Hope it helps!

Cheers,
Tuathal
--------------
Are you Folding for a cure? Why not? Its easy, free, and doesn't hurt anyone - in fact it can only help!