Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Reinstall xp w/o format?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:03 am 

My system has become sluggish and clogged with crap. I am thinking it is time to reinstall XP since it has been about 18 months. In retrospect I should have partitioned my drive and had only xp on one partition to avoid formatting an entire drive. Hindsight is 20/20 of course.

Can I delete the Windows directory and reinstall or is this a fruitless endeavor? I don't really want to reinstall and deal with restoring heaps of information. I have a feeling that since my registry will be gone as well that I would do just as well to format and start from scratch.

If anyone has any thoughts about avoiding a format and a day's worth of reinstalling apps I would love to hear it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:09 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You will have to reinstall all your programs anyway no matter which route you take so I'd backup you data (docs, pics, mp3s and vids) and then partition the drive and install Windows on the first partition and place your data on the second partition.

If you have two separate hard drives just move the data to the second. Or you can burn your data onto CDs or DVDs. (recommended)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:58 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

You shouldn't have to remove that...at best, you might want to remove your profile, but it's not necessary.

If you just read the screens during XP Setup, you'll be able to just reinstall and not format.

Post subject: Re: Reinstall xp w/o format?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:34 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

skullkrusher wrote:
If anyone has any thoughts about avoiding a format and a day's worth of reinstalling apps I would love to hear it!

reinstalling Windows still kills the registry, where all your installed apps have ties with.

just go for the format, doing the reinstall would still leave your system "sluggish and clogged with crap".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:26 am 

:? I figured I'd have to format and reinstall. I might just leave it until I get a new hd and take care of it then.

Thanks for the help.