Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Computer post but does not boot into windows
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:28 pm 

This is a strange problem that I have been having for about a month and I have exausted all options. When I cold boot my computer it will post, detect drives and then go to where the windows screen would usually come up and just stay on a black screen. The HD light remains lit. I usually have to turn on and off about 10 times or so before it will show the windows screen and begin to boot. After it is up and running everything works fine. Any suggestions it is killing me?

Windows XP SP2
Athlon xp 2200
512 MB RAM
4 HD's
3 Optical Drives
SB AUdigy
Geforce 4
GigaByte Nforce board

Post subject: Re: Computer post but does not boot into windows
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:25 pm 
Folding Master (Top-ranked)
Folding Master (Top-ranked)

tabarnes19 wrote:
This is a strange problem that I have been having for about a month and I have exausted all options. When I cold boot my computer it will post, detect drives and then go to where the windows screen would usually come up and just stay on a black screen. The HD light remains lit. I usually have to turn on and off about 10 times or so before it will show the windows screen and begin to boot. After it is up and running everything works fine. Any suggestions it is killing me?

Windows XP SP2
Athlon xp 2200
512 MB RAM
4 HD's
3 Optical Drives
SB AUdigy
Geforce 4
GigaByte Nforce board

boot to the windows cd and run chkdsk from the console.. You may be having hard drive problems. you could also try the fixboot command.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:49 pm 

I formatted and reinstalled a week ago. I don't think it could be a mbr or xp problem. that is why I formatted and reinstalled to rule out software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:32 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

tabarnes19 wrote:
I formatted and reinstalled a week ago. I don't think it could be a mbr or xp problem. that is why I formatted and reinstalled to rule out software.

chkdsk could point to evidence of hard drive problems, that's why you should run it. You could skip 1 and go straight to 3, download your hard drives diagnostic tools, (or use the disk that came with the drive if you have it), and use that to check your hard drive for problems. You might want to make sure you have any important data backed up, sounds like your drive may have issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:58 pm 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

tabarnes19 wrote:

Check the following items:

1. Power Supply. As everything is activated, especially if you've got USB devices plugged in. You might need a higher capacity, good quality PSU. With 7 drives, not counting any floppy, you're pushing a 300w unit to its limit just firing up the system.

2. Processor. Is the heatsink tightly mounted with the correct amount of thermal paste? Too much paste is just as bad as too little.

3. Hard disk(s). This was suggested by mah3, and a good thing to check.

4. Cooling issues. Is there proper ventilation between the drives? A clear airflow path near your video card? Do you have enough fans pulling in cool air and exhausting hot air?

5. Video Card. Remember to plug in a Molex or Mini-Molex into your video card if one is required. I know, it sounds stupid. But I've missed the obvious myself. Also, ensure the PCI slot just below the GeForce is empty, to allow cooling.

6. Sound Card. I've had Soundblaster cards not be fully detected, and similar things happen. Physically remove the card and try.

7. Return to the basics. Pull anything unneccessary out, or disconnect the power to any drive(s) not needed to boot with. Kill off two of the three opticals, two or three of the hard drives, extra memory (you can run a Dual-Channel Board with one stick), and any other add-in-cards not needed to boot, then start one-by-one increasing the load.

SC64

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:27 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

What Gigabyte board do you have? Have you done any windows updates?

Mine is a GA-7NNXP, I had an issue like yours where I ended up losing the IDE driver- nothing would fix it. I think it was a freak thing, happened after my brother did me a "favor" & updated with windows updates I didn't want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:32 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

SuperChip64 wrote:
tabarnes19 wrote:

Check the following items:

1. Power Supply. As everything is activated, especially if you've got USB devices plugged in. You might need a higher capacity, good quality PSU. With 7 drives, not counting any floppy, you're pushing a 300w unit to its limit just firing up the system.

2. Processor. Is the heatsink tightly mounted with the correct amount of thermal paste? Too much paste is just as bad as too little.

3. Hard disk(s). This was suggested by mah3, and a good thing to check.

4. Cooling issues. Is there proper ventilation between the drives? A clear airflow path near your video card? Do you have enough fans pulling in cool air and exhausting hot air?

5. Video Card. Remember to plug in a Molex or Mini-Molex into your video card if one is required. I know, it sounds stupid. But I've missed the obvious myself. Also, ensure the PCI slot just below the GeForce is empty, to allow cooling.

6. Sound Card. I've had Soundblaster cards not be fully detected, and similar things happen. Physically remove the card and try.

7. Return to the basics. Pull anything unneccessary out, or disconnect the power to any drive(s) not needed to boot with. Kill off two of the three opticals, two or three of the hard drives, extra memory (you can run a Dual-Channel Board with one stick), and any other add-in-cards not needed to boot, then start one-by-one increasing the load.

SC64

Something to add, although you been thorough.

Depending on the age of his Motherboard, there may be an issue with defective capacitor syndrome. [Bulging electrollytic caps]

Ran into this twice this week here.

It caused the exact symtoms that he is describing.

Ken :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:00 pm 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

I've seen that in systems coming into Tech at CompUSA, but in my 23 years of computing, I've never had it happen to me personally.

Good point, though. :)

SC64