Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Newbuild Slipstreaming winxp home1a w/sp2 ?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:45 am 

I'm building a new pc with 3 optical drives and 3 HDDs, 2 of which are SATA. I don't intend to to the raid thing, but I do want to put the os on one of the SATA. The HDDs are 161 gig each and the mb is an ASUS A8V, v2.

So, my questions are: since I'm using winxp home1a (oem through newegg), the SATA drivers are already on the cd right, so I don't need to slipstream the drivers as per the MaxPC article this month? However, I still need to hit f6 on boot to point the bios to the drivers right? And, should I even bother slipsteaming sp2? In a way it seems simpler to just install sp2 after immediately installing xp1a, instead of doing the cd bump and grind beforehand.

Any and all comments will be much apprectiated. TIA

Kilchis78

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:59 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Quote:
since I'm using winxp home1a (oem through newegg), the SATA drivers are already on the cd right,

No, you still have to use the F6 floppy combo to install the SATA drivers provided by the board's manufacturer. The OEM WINXP disk you have, only has SP1a installed, not the additional RAID/SATA drivers, the MaxPC article was doing a custom driver setup in addition to adding SP2.

Quote:
should I even bother slipsteaming sp2

Depends, If you have the XP2 cd and don't have to download it everytime you reinstall, it's not that bad. If you do have to download it, you risk going online without some of the security features that are installed with SP2. You should also be aware that the SP2 slipstream won't work on some OEM disks, so it may be a dead issue anyway. Either way, I would still get the free SP2 CD from Bill Gates Is My Daddy