Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows 98SE Login Security
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:32 am 
Million Club
Million Club

I've recieved a laptop with Windows 98 and I'm curious as to how to make the login procedure really secure.

My problem is when I assign a login name and password to Windows it works fine, with the exception that it can be easily bypassed by pressing "cancel" on the prompt, which bring it into Windows. Someone who doesn't know my login and password can use my laptop without any problems this way.

Is there a way to fix this? I've tried searching on the net but there's nothing specific to my problem that I have found. Should I ever lose my laptop or it gets stolen, I'd atleast want it so someone couldn't use it or look at my files right away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:40 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

There's an option you can set with the use of poledit to require a network login.

Setting that should prevent them from hitting cancel to bypass that screen. I'll add though, I've never tried that sotside of machine that was on a domain, so you may see some mixed results from using that.

Post subject: Re: Windows 98SE Login Security
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:13 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

X_ArchAngel wrote:
I've recieved a laptop with Windows 98 and I'm curious as to how to make the login procedure really secure.

My problem is when I assign a login name and password to Windows it works fine, with the exception that it can be easily bypassed by pressing "cancel" on the prompt, which bring it into Windows. Someone who doesn't know my login and password can use my laptop without any problems this way.

Is there a way to fix this? I've tried searching on the net but there's nothing specific to my problem that I have found. Should I ever lose my laptop or it gets stolen, I'd atleast want it so someone couldn't use it or look at my files right away.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6270-5139996.html

Try that?

And
http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/629/

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:17 am 
Million Club
Million Club

Thanks to the both of you. Now I have something to try on my laptop at college on Monday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:41 am 
Million Club
Million Club

Well, just tried all three supposed "fixes" and none of them worked! Every single time I could simple press Esc or Cancel and it would bring me right into the desktop.

This is pretty fucking stupid. A logon screen is supposed to allow only certain people to beable to logon, hence having one in the first place. The sheer fact that Microsoft couldn't get this to work properly by default has me fearing for the security of my other Windows-running machines.

This is ridiculous (note that it is spelled correctly).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:20 am 
Northwood
Northwood

does your BIOS have an option for logging in?

MS didn't build 9x for security, it was ment for multimedia(home users)..the NT4 line of OS's were for security

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:31 am 
Million Club
Million Club

Yeah, I think my only option now would be to set a BIOS password. However, the CMOS battery in the laptop is well on its way to being dead so I think setting anything in the BIOS would be worth moot unless I were to get it changed, which I unfortunately don't have the means to do right now.

Maybe sometime this month. I'd hate to break apart that laptop without finding the manual for it, first...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:40 am 
Northwood
Northwood

only other thing I can think of it encripting the files you don't want others to access